Beginner Weight Lifting DVD for Senior?

tatiana_13
tatiana_13 Posts: 325
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi Guys. I really want my mom (62 years old) to start resistance training. She's able-bodied and not in horrible shape, but certainly not in "good" shape. I think the biggest issue is that, given her generation, lifting weights is completely foreign to her. She has always stuck to walking for general fitness. Resistance training will be a *huge* learning curve for her.

Most of the weight lifting DVD's I've seen have that sort of fast paced "boot camp" mentality that would either totally turn her off or lead her to injury. DVD's I've seen marketed towards older adults have this sort of..."rehab time at the nursing home" vibe. She's older, not disabled...it should be challenging, just not ridiculous. I've tried to get her to see a trainer, but she lives in the rural, so its a bit of a travel commitment.

Does anyone have any good DVD recommendations for someone like my mom? I figure there must be folks out there like her who have found something they like!

Thanks!

Replies

• Did you think about the total gym?
    They have adjustable inclines and it uses your body weight as resistance.
    They are expensive if you buy them new, but can be found on craigs list pretty cheap.
    You canorder the dvd's to work along with on the total gym website.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    if you have on demand you can find free workout vids there, try a few with her and see if she likes one more than the others or you might find she likes the variety of being able to get new ones every 30 days or so. My mom is 56 and my dad is 65 and they are gym rats. My mom really likes the body pump classes and all gyms are offering some version of body pump now, even the YMCA! Classes are nice because the music and routine change so you don't get bored.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    I am 67 yeasrs old and I lift weight, and I love it! There are many ladies younger than me or your mother that stay away from dumb bells; so It has very little to do with age or generation and more with the female idea that it is not "femenine" for a woman to lift weights and get muscle definition.

As somebody else suggested, a gym or even the YMCA, would be a better fit for your mom. It seems that she will need personal coaching for motivation and technique. You can also get for her a couple of 4 or 5 lbs dumbells and teach her some biceps and triceps exercises so she can get use to the idea of working with free weights.

Google "exercise videos for older adults," and see if you get something that it would fit her level, and check your TV guide because I know that early in the morning some channels have exercise classes that your mother could be interested in doing.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.