The price of eating healthy

Options
Is it just me or is eating a healthy diet - fresh veg, fruit, meat, fish etc costing a fortune. My food bill seems have gotten bigger since I started eating healthier. It doesn't make sense that it's cheaper to eat rubbish. Is there some plot going on with manufacturers to sell fattening foods and then also sell the dieting foods to make us thin again.

Me thinketh - maybe lol

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I used to get a full cart for 100.00, today I got a little over half a cart, and it was 135.00.
    And it was all real, natural, healthy foods (plus cat food and cat litter!)
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I find it cheaper as I'm not impulse buying because I've planned my meals - plus I always prepare a lunchbox for when I'm out and about! Buying lunch on the go really adds up (both in cals and money).
    I do agree that unhealthy foods are way to cheap though...
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    To cut costs...go to farmers markets, co-ops, and alternative grocery stores (ie Asian and Hispanic markets). Produce will be much cheaper. Also, sub beans and legumes for meat 1-2 times a week and that will cut your bill even further. I spend no more than $20 a week on my daughter and myself (I am a vegetarian though).
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    To cut costs...go to farmers markets, co-ops, and alternative grocery stores (ie Asian and Hispanic markets). Produce will be much cheaper. Also, sub beans and legumes for meat 1-2 times a week and that will cut your bill even further. I spend no more than $20 a week on my daughter and myself (I am a vegetarian though).

These are great tips. Also, you can kind of go in-between by buying frozen veggies. Cheaper than fresh, healthier than canned. And it really depends on how you look at it -- I spend more on *groceries* when I'm trying to eat healthier, but I spend less overall because we're not eating fast food and a lot of snacks. You also spend less on things like OTC medications and doctor visits because you feel better overall.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you all are buying but my grocery bill has shrunk by about $15 a week. Esp since I have stopped going out as much.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I usually buy fresh organic fruits and veggies to avoid the chemicals as much as possible, and yes it generally costs more than eating the regular stuff. Sometimes there are good frozen fruits and veggies that are cheaper. But I eat much less meat and junk than I used to, so it's balancing out. On the other hand, my skin, energy level, and overall health is definitely improved over the past few years so maybe I'm coming out ahead.
  • Manon87
    Options
    I seem to spend the same amount of money. I think it's because I needed more of the junk to feel full. But I've saved money too on all the on-the-go food! I just always have an apple with me now, so I wont be tempted by the Burger Kings, McDonalds, 7/11, bakeries I seem to pass by all the time.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. If you stick to basics and do a lot of your own preparation, I think you can still get by on a relatively modest budget, but there are choices that have to be made.

For example, I would like to buy more organic meats, but I can't make the jump from roughly $2.75/lb to $5 or $6 a pound. I have pretty much given up seafood--again, I can't pay $10+ per pound for non-farm sockeye salmon or tuna.

I think one can also get caught up in buying fancier "health food" type products and paying a premium for items that may or may not provide any increased nutritional benefits. The only time I ever go to Whole Foods is in the afternoon when they have the samples out. I walk around and try everything--then I leave and go across the street to Costco and do my shopping.

There are some things I will pay for--free-range, organic eggs, Arnolds sandwich thins and flatout instead of bread, almond butter or a higher-end peanut butter instead of a "main" brand, greek yogurt, whole grain pasta, for example. But my meals tend to be made from what I consider "staples" -- a protein source, appropriate level of a whole-grain carb, and lots of fresh vegetables.

For example, last night I did a stir fry with leftover roast beef. I mixed up about 4 oz of the beef, 1 egg, 1 cooked cup of brown rice, and the rest stir fried vegeatables--pea pods, broccoli, carrot, zucchini, green and red pepper, green onion, mushrooms. By the time I was done, that 1 c of cooked rice and 4oz meat had been expanded into an amount that was almost enough for 2 servings.

It is absolutely true that it is cheaper to eat junk than it is to eat healthy--actually, I think the cheapest way to eat might be off the $1 menu at McDonalds and other fast food restaurants.

But with some planning, you can do pretty well on cost and also on food quality IMO.
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I went food shopping yesterday and got 2 full carts totalling $222. Of course after food stamps and $80 worth of coupons, I ended up only paying $45 out of pocket! I NEVER use less than $80 in coupons when I shop. When the cashiers see me walk in, they run! It takes more time to scan the coupons than the food most times, but it is soooooo worth it! PS We only go food shopping once a month for my 2 yr old, my husband, and myself!
  • carolyne2
    Options
    Thanks for the responses peeps, some good tips amongst them. I think I just feel I spend more as there are 5 of us and all eat adult portions, and as I only cook one meal (not a special one for me and something else for the rest of family) I just seem surrounded by an allotment full of fruit and veg that cost a furtune in UK. - and fish - lets not even go there with the price.:angry:
  • nelliebugs
    Options
    It is very expensive to eat healthy. :(
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    The grocery bill may have increased, but the restaurant bill should have decreased as well.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Shopping for me in the UK is scary on price - its definately cheaper to eat junk. Ive went from spending £40 a week to almost £60 - £70 most weeks now. I cant really afford it this week or last week so weve had to make do with what we had in the freezer, its been a tough week food wise but have made it work by workng out harder.

Farm shops (for me) seem to work out more expensive, but thats only one I have tried. Im trying to google up more bigger farm shops locally but I am struggling to find anything!!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    The grocery bill may have increased, but the restaurant bill should have decreased as well.

yes, I used to spend under 100 and now it's over 100, but I was talking about "grocery shopping". We used to spend at LEAST another hundred a week eating out and now it's like 20-30 bucks (one nice meal on the weekend), but I didn't think of that because I don't include that in my grocery budget. I put 100 a week aside for actual groceries from the store, and any eating out comes out of other money we have in our wallets.
    So, considering all that, I just realized we DO spend less now, in the long run.
  • imperfectlyhere
    Options
    i find it cheaper because I don't eat as much....
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    It evens out for me. Healthy foods go much farther at our house. If we are eating boxed unhealthy meals, everyone eats a ton before they are full. But to eat healthy, one serving does it and then we have left overs for a few days usually. We spend about the same and less now that we no longer eat out as often.

We grow a garden in the summer and freeze as much as we can too. We still have 5 big bags of spinach in the freezer from last summer. I use it a lot!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Personally I find it a lot cheaper to buy fresh produce and do home cooking than to buy ready meals and processed junk.

You can get a huge bag of carrots for next to nothing, in fact all the root vegetables are cheap in winter. I recently made a beef stew (at least 5 portions) from one pack of lean beef, one whole swede (costs next to nothing), some carrots and mushrooms. A fantastic pot of stew for next to no money.

Just buy what's in season, so don't try to buy raspberries in January or cherries in February. Of course that's expensive
  • Azdak
    Options
    Personally I find it a lot cheaper to buy fresh produce and do home cooking than to buy ready meals and processed junk.

You can get a huge bag of carrots for next to nothing, in fact all the root vegetables are cheap in winter. I recently made a beef stew (at least 5 portions) from one pack of lean beef, one whole swede (costs next to nothing), some carrots and mushrooms. A fantastic pot of stew for next to no money.

Just buy what's in season, so don't try to buy raspberries in January or cherries in February. Of course that's expensive

I would think you would get more than 5 servings out of a whole Swede. How did you find a pot big enough?
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

I would think you would get more than 5 servings out of a whole Swede. How did you find a pot big enough?

I'm talking about the root vegetable not the Scandinavian!! :tongue:

But it is a big pot!!!
  • Azdak
    Options

I'm talking about the root vegetable not the Scandinavian!! :tongue:

But it is a big pot!!!

Still not familiar with the term, but I assumed that's what it was--the word was just too good to pass up.

One of the things I really enjoy about the forums is reading the different terms used by our friends from the UK and Australia (and Canada, also, but they are not that different). It's like watching "Bend it Like Beckham".

All except for the whole "stone" thing. That's just annoying..........:laugh: