Best breakfast before workout?

arwamya
arwamya Posts: 304
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
So i work out mostly during early afternoons ( 11 :30 to 12 noon) . I was wondering what's a nice healthy breakfast i can have an hour or two prior to working out. I work out for around 90 minutes and i feel very low on energy by the time i'm ending up with my last round of cardio.

Replies

• ultimategar
    ultimategar Posts: 96 Member
    i always have a big bowl of porridge with some flax seeds and fruit thrown in (if i have any).
    Approx 200 cals plus whatever fruit.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    I have oatmeal with chopped up apple and a few raisins. There is a brand "fit oatmeal" that is only 100 calories per serving then just add in the fruit --- so about a 200 calorie meal, but the oatmeal tends to stick with me longer than anything else.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I work out fasting. My first meal of the day is usually 1 or 2 in the afternoon.
  • If you're not a stickler for 'breakfast' foods, a friend of mine swears by chicken, broccoli and rice in the morning for breakfast before a serious workout.
  • Porridge is really good for slow releasing energy, you need to include protein in you meal though if you want to build muscle tone with your work out so if you have porridge add in some peanut butter. My favorite is porridge with peanut butter and strawberry jam. Its got the sugar from the fruit for the burst of energy, oats for slower energy and protein from the peanuts for my muscles. perfect.
    If you want something a bit more savoury poached eggs and beans on granary/wholemeal bread is also a good one as again you've got the protein from the eggs/beans and the carbs for energy in the bread.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Definitely want to make sure you have a healthy combination of protein and carbs to keep your blood sugar from spiking and crashing. Make sure those carbs are very low in sugar as well.
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    I don't particularly eat any certain things before working out. But I know someone that eats peanut butter on toast with a banana before running.
  • emlov81
    emlov81 Posts: 128
    Porridge is really good for slow releasing energy, you need to include protein in you meal though if you want to build muscle tone with your work out so if you have porridge add in some peanut butter. My favorite is porridge with peanut butter and strawberry jam. Its got the sugar from the fruit for the burst of energy, oats for slower energy and protein from the peanuts for my muscles. perfect.
    If you want something a bit more savoury poached eggs and beans on granary/wholemeal bread is also a good one as again you've got the protein from the eggs/beans and the carbs for energy in the bread.

Porridge works for me....great tip with the peanut butter!!!! Ta :smile:
  • a good protein shake, some fruit, oatmeal.
This discussion has been closed.