Cardio advice needed.......

Options
I really enjoy all cardio work and spend 70 minutes at least three times a week in the gym doing cardio stuff (mainly running.)

Does anybody have any advice on getting the most from these sessions??? Don't really have time to go to the gym anymore than I do, so wanna make the most of these times!!!!

This post is kinda motivated by no weight loss last week, I stayed the same despite a three sweaty gym sessions and staying under on calories consumed!! :-(

Cheers

Em:wink:

Replies

• liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy all cardio work and spend 70 minutes at least three times a week in the gym doing cardio stuff (mainly running.)

Does anybody have any advice on getting the most from these sessions??? Don't really have time to go to the gym anymore than I do, so wanna make the most of these times!!!!

This post is kinda motivated by no weight loss last week, I stayed the same despite a three sweaty gym sessions and staying under on calories consumed!! :-(

Cheers

Change the settings on the treadmill ---- do some hills :) spike your heart rate now and again with some sprints too.

Em:wink:
  • EDBENAGLIO
    Options
    i have been told that is is not always the speed but the heart rate. get the heart rate up higher for longer
  • hartcandi
    Options
    Do intervals on the treadmill, elliptical etc.. for example 10 sec of hard work than 10 sec rest for 20 minutes. Make sure the intervals are done during the last part of your workout.
  • Rhian_81
    Rhian_81 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi Em

Do you wear a heart rate monitor? I've heard these can help you get out of your comfort zone, and get into the burn zone.

I don't do enough exercise myself, 70 mins, 3 times a week is fantastic!

Good luck
    Jagged
  • emlov81
    emlov81 Posts: 128
    Options
    Cheers everyone, will try some of this in the gym this week!!!!

Will let you know how I do on my weigh in on Friday......:bigsmile:
  • emlov81
    Options
    Well.....I lost 2lbs last week!!!!

So thanks guys, gonna still with the interval stuff.......
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Your body adapts to steady state cardio very quickly. Within 4-6 weeks you will no longer burn what you used to because your body has become more efficient in doing what you ask of it.

Your options are to introduce the body to something new once in a while... for example instead of a long slow run at 10 minute miling, who not do a spin class?

Alternatively, instead of a steady run you could do some fartlek intervals etc.

Rowing is good cardio that also gives you break from high impact.

Basically anything that gets you back outside of the comfort zone.
  • emlov81
    Options
    Your body adapts to steady state cardio very quickly. Within 4-6 weeks you will no longer burn what you used to because your body has become more efficient in doing what you ask of it.

Your options are to introduce the body to something new once in a while... for example instead of a long slow run at 10 minute miling, who not do a spin class?

Alternatively, instead of a steady run you could do some fartlek intervals etc.

Rowing is good cardio that also gives you break from high impact.

Basically anything that gets you back outside of the comfort zone.

Cheers:bigsmile:

Been putting off a spin class for a while......will try in a week or so to change it up again!!!!