Too much sugar - what to do?!!

Options
I've been checking my nutritional intake carefully for 5 days and even though I'm under on everything, I go over my sugar allocation EVERY DAY. I have a sweet tooth and I have honey on my yoghurt, no sugar in my tea though and I like the odd piece of chocolate which I've found doesn't stop me losing weight if I have it in moderation.

So....the question is to all you MFP users who I know have tons of advice they can give me, how do I eat a balanced diet and reduce my sugar intake at the same time? Any tips for a sugar addict who wants to lose weight?

Thanks x

Replies

• shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    YOu can eat very healthy and lower your sugar, it needs to be between 25gr-35gr a day. I have started doing it for the past days. Just watch the nutrition facts and the servings in fruit. I was getting about 70-90gr of sugar before, I have lost weight but its more about being healthy inside. especially because I dont have health insurance at the moment:frown:
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Since your diary isn't public I can't speak to your situation specifically but I would say look at what you eat that is highest in sugar and see if you can find a substitute that is lower in sugar. If it's fresh fruit that is putting you over, there isn't much you can do about that (as far as I know) without cutting out fruit and that isn't a great idea either.
  • Oppie81
    Options
    Do you like fruit? They have natural sugar but still better than regular sugar. Also I like the smart one’s desserts! They are so great and the portions are small but satisfying. I love sweets too. Also Peanut butter is high in protein and can satisfy your sweet tooth.
  • dawnbrisset
    dawnbrisset Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm following Jorge Cruise's The Belly Fat Cure - 15 grams sugar per day/6 servings carbs per day.

To do this, basically I have had to REDUCE/eliminate the higher sugar fruits in my diet, as well as no more regular milk or yogurt. I use almond milk instead, and only plain yogurt, mixed with a little berries or Barlean's Omega Swirl Flaxseed oil. I will use berries instead of apple or grape or other high sugar fruit. Also, I've basically cut out processed food with any sugar in it. I'd try those couple things and see how your sugar intake changes. Let me know how it goes!
  • Sparren
    Sparren Posts: 106
    Options
    Me personally, I don't panic too much about the sugar, as I'm still getting the results and the "sugar" I have is in my fruit, milk, and in my cereal (I don't add any sugar). I feel as long as I'm not scoffing down lots of sugary snacks and the 'sugars' I have are relatively naturally occuring, I still think I'm winning!

I have bigger things in my life to worry about than how much sugar is in my fruit! Its all about choosing your battles.....

Good luck!
  • wendysmith18
    Options
    There is a lot of suger in things light low fat fruit yoghurt and low fat desserts so try to stear clear of these. Fruit has a lot of sugar as well, an apple has around 12-15g of sugar (125g fruit) a a small banana has the same. Berries are quite low (except blueberries) with around 8g sugar per 100g and cantaloupe melons have around 6g sugar per 100g.
    I use /www.thefruitpages.com as a guide.
    BUT having said that, i don't tend to worry about my sugar if i know it's from "good" sources.
    All the best :)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I dont pay much attention to my sugar and while I'm sure there are other health factors it does affect, losing weight does not appear to be one of them.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I agree because most of my sugar comes from fruit. If I stay away from bananas, then I may lower the sugar intake but also the potasium which is very important for muscle contraction, specially with loads of workouts. Apples also have sugar but they also have fiber, specially if you eat the skin too.

I stay away from other sweets such as pastries, deserts, ice cream, chocolate, etc, as much as I can. I don't want to take credit for controlling my sweet tooth, because I really don't have one.

Just do the best you can and what works for you, and look at your MFP diaries to see what they eat instead of heavy deserts. For me, fruits are the best.
  • HBean
    HBean Posts: 55
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their replies, you all had great advice to give. I think I'll calm down about my sugar intake as long as it isn't stopping me from losing weight and being healthy. The diabetes test the doctor did a while ago was negative so that's not an area of concern right now. Looking back at my diaries, most of the sugar in it is from honey, blueberries and plums so at least it isn't refined. Feel a lot better since reading your replies, thanks! :happy: :happy: