Thoughts on HRM?

Options
I just need a cheapo HRM preferably from Walmart or something that maybe someone has found works really well. I just need to know my resting heart rate and know I'm on target during my jogs.

Thank you!

Replies

• Sparren
    Sparren Posts: 106
    Options
    I personally purchased a cheap HRM and think its hopeless. I don't beleive it really measures my heart rate, as I have to tell it what 'level' of activity I've done and it estimates it from that (even though it asks me to put my finger on the sensor - it still gives me a reading on the level of activity). Others beleive in them, but I think you'd have to spend the money to get one that actually does what you need it to do.
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest buying a cheapo HRM. You won't get an accurate reading with them. It's important to get one that has a chest strap too. Good luck!
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I purchased a really basic and pretty cheap Polar HRM off of E-bay. Its really simple - it has a chest strap and monitors length of activity and your average heart rate. I really liked it, but it didn't last that long. The battery only lasted about a year with daily use and I don't know how to replace it! I'm thinking about getting a nicer one when I find the $!
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. You get what you pay for. I also think it's pointless to get one without a chest strap, it's more accurate. define "cheap"?

I got my Polar F6 as a gift and I loved it. it lasted about 2 - 2.5 years. I thought I needed a new battery but it turns out the transmitter needs to be replaced.

Check Amazon or ebay. I've heard you can get the F6 on Amazon for like $60 - $65, which is pretty good. I saw someone post about the New Balance HRM. Saw it at Target for about $60.

Good luck!