Calf Cramps..

Arynamber
Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Two weeks ago I started a weights class (2x per week).. one week ago I bought new running shoes. The first day after running my legs hurt! I ignored the pain.. stretched well and went on my way.. my calfs still hurt and its been a week! Im not sure if its because of weight class or the shoes. My old shoes were very well worn.. the new ones I got were made for running..so Im confused. I did not exercise on Thursday or Saturday.. thinking maybe I needed a day of rest.. but still hurting!

Replies

• momogogo
    momogogo Posts: 159 Member
    BANANAS. You may need potasium. Bananas are the best resource.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    You didn't say how far you ran in new shoes. If they were a different brand or offered a different style of support it would contribute to your calf problem. I had a similar problem when training for a half marathon. I switched shoe from Nike reax 3 to Saucony guide 3's, went for a long run(not advised) and injured my calf after about 5 miles a week before the race. My advise would be to alternate shoes between old and new for a few weeks, staying to shorter distances in the new shoes.
  • drink loads of water and add more salt to your diet make sure you streech for at least 15 mins before you exercise everytime you feel your calfs getting tight stop and streech it will eventually work and make sure you warm down too
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    You didn't say how far you ran in new shoes. If they were a different brand or offered a different style of support it would contribute to your calf problem. I had a similar problem when training for a half marathon. I switched shoe from Nike reax 3 to Saucony guide 3's, went for a long run(not advised) and injured my calf after about 5 miles a week before the race. My advise would be to alternate shoes between old and new for a few weeks, staying to shorter distances in the new shoes.

I concur. Break-in time sounds too short. Also, did you get your footstrike/stride analyzed B4 buying the new shoes? They might not be the correct platform for your foot. Maybe not enough cushioning for your current weight and body frame. Running shoe design and structure is alot more complicated than one would think
  • Be sure to get enough potassium daily and stretch following your runs because there's nothing worse then being awaken at 3 am by a Charlie horse.

Speaking from experience:cry:
  • Arynamber
    Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
    Im a new runner so I only have been running 2-3 miles per times. They are Saucany brand..no idea of the style name.. but they have lots of cushion on the back. I will drink more water and get some potassium as well as the other ideas suggested. THANKS
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    They may well be nice shoes but are they right for your feet?

How did you chose the shoes?

Did you go to a running shop and had your gait assessed and were recommended that pair, or did you just buy them without knowing what you were buying?

There are so many different running shoes... neutral ones, stability ones, motion control ones etc etc

If you're referring to the importance of "cushioning at the back", then I'm assuming you're a heel striker?
  • i have had the same problem with cramps in calfs since my teens and have had a few injurys as well on my calfs, a physo told me that this was from cycling and that it can cause the calf muscles to shorten.
    she gave me some exercises:
    one is to roll a towel up, lie on the ground and use the towel to pull your foot towards you.
    two is too stand on a step with your heel part of your foot hanging over the step edge ( no more than half way) and to push down on your heels then pull heels back up. and repeat.

this helps to streech the calf out
This discussion has been closed.