Numb toes on elliptical

Options
Does anyone else have this problem? After about 30min on the elliptical my toes start to get really numb and uncomfortable. I try to keep wiggling them during my workout but that last 5 minutes is torture!
My shoes are not tight, and my sockies are pretty cushy grrrr!

Replies

• sjkiestler
    Options
    This happens to me also, I just got done at the gym and was on the elliptical for an hour. After about the first thirty minutes my toes were getting numb, I think its because your putting most of your pressure on the front of your feet. Try shifting your weight evenly on your feet. Instead of staying on your toes the whole workout, try to keep your whole foot down. I do this when my toes start to get numb, and it helps so much! :)
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Happens to my wife all the time too.
  • petey49
    petey49 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I find the same thing. Watch if you are pushing mostly with yours toes. I try to keep my feet as flat as possible. It seems to help. If anyone else has ideas let us know.
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Same here. Just got done doing an hour on ellptical. When I had a trainer she said to try and keep weight on whole foot.
  • smwpoole
    smwpoole Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Happens to me to! I just deal with it and try the toe wiggling too. =)
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I have this to. After I get warmed up I try to stop and do some really good stretching. Seems to help me go longer, but doesn't entirely keep it from happening. Sometimes it helps if I take my shoes off ( not always an option at the gym tho). Don't know what causes it.
  • galliey64
    Options
    I had this problem also and asked my trainer about it. He said the blood stops flowing to the toes due to the ankle of the elliptical. He also has this problem. I have gone to the use of the treadmill. I raised the level to 10 or ll and can burn 300 cal. in about 45 - 50 minuntes, Use speed of about 3. Your feet don't hurt.
  • k8tmama
    Options
    I used to have this problem. I got new shoes (New Balance) that fit really well, along with some inserts that give good support. Now I don't have that issue.
  • pen282
    pen282 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I get this too so its nice in a way knowing i am not alone! pins n needle feeling isnt fun when trying to work out haha
  • BetsyKingrey
    Options
    Part of the problem may be that you are wearing a running shoe... which is curved UP in front. This is a great aid to running but horrible for aerobics, strength training, or carido machines. Look for flat aerobic shoes next time you shop. All major brands sell an aerobic shoe. You can see the difference as soon as you put it beside a running shoe. The curve is there to help you "heel - toe" as you walk, run , or jog but destroys your balance when you use the elliptical. If you can't balance very well while doing a lunge it may be the fault of the shoe as well! Aerobic shoes are not as pointy in front and don't curve up. Good luck!
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Well it seems that all are in agreement that it happens to them too! As it were, it happens to me too, thou, not really my toes, more like the sides of my feet. One thing I do is actually pick my feet up slightly from the machine, as I am running, just a little. Like everyone else has said, I try to shift my weight consciously to my heels. I always wondered if that happened to other people, glad you raised the question!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    As an elliptical enthusiast, that also happened to me for the initial part of doing my workouts. After a while, I learned that like everyone stated, keeping the pressure of your weight on the balls of your feet or your toes will cause them to become numb from lack of blood flow.

The thinking was that it's like sprint-running, in which most people tend to use the balls of their feet to propel speed, which also causes a strain on the calf muscle. But if you keep the mindset that it's like the technique of marathon running, you will naturally incorporate the use of the heels for longer periods of the routine in order to prevent fatigue on your toes and calves.

More specifically, it's not even like running. You're technically gliding, so in order to move forward, you kind of "slide" your whole foot forward and therefore will keep the weight evenly distributed to your heels.

I hope that helps anyone visualize what I'm talking about. Otherwise, start off like the act of walking with a "heel-toe" stride and adjust the weight shift as you exert more effort when going faster.
  • madijo41
    madijo41 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Once again after reading another MFP post I find out I am not alone!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    It is not a natural way to move your foot. Ellip is my favorite machine, burns the most calories and I cannot run. My feet go numb.

I wear wide shoes in the toes, thin socks, try to pick my feet up a bit like I am walking naturally and when all else fails I sneak my shoes off! :laugh: I have a trainer so I think they look the other way....but I am not walking around the gym barefoot or anything.

Also if I do not use the handlebars, I have less numbness in my feet.

Keep on trucking:flowerforyou:
  • jlsironen
    jlsironen Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Part of the problem may be that you are wearing a running shoe... which is curved UP in front. This is a great aid to running but horrible for aerobics, strength training, or carido machines. Look for flat aerobic shoes next time you shop. All major brands sell an aerobic shoe. You can see the difference as soon as you put it beside a running shoe. The curve is there to help you "heel - toe" as you walk, run , or jog but destroys your balance when you use the elliptical. If you can't balance very well while doing a lunge it may be the fault of the shoe as well! Aerobic shoes are not as pointy in front and don't curve up. Good luck!

I hadn't really thought about my shoes lol. I actually am wearing running shoes for it, I think next time I'll try my Pumas :) They're my lifting shoes I wear for free weights. It makes sense! Thanks everyone for the input!
  • tookarook
    tookarook Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    yes I have tried 2 diff pairs of shoes and happens to me too :(
  • Sis73
    Sis73 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem while being on the elliptical. I try to pick my feet up as much as I can while working out and also make sure you don't tie your shoe strings real tight. Just enough to keep your shoe on your foot without slipping. These two things have helped me a lot! Good luck!