Where do I buy Edamame beans???

jaitken_22
jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
Hi all, I'm wondering where the best place would be to buy edamame beans.. i was in Tesco today and couldn't find them there so was wondering if you have to go to a chinese/japanese shop or where to get them? I have a few recipes to try out which contain them, so if anyone could help I will be grateful! I live in the UK so can only be suggestions for there! Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Don't live in UK but I usually find them in the freezer of the Organic section. Hope this helps.
  • I'm in teh States, so this may not be helpful, but were you looking for fresh ones? or frozen? I found frozen ones in my local supermarket. SO, depending on what you were looking for, maybe check the frozen foods aisle.

Again, I know that may not help, and you probably already checked it, but I thought I'd try anyways. ;)
  • jaitken_22
    Thanks, I'll try that on my next food shop! :happy:
  • robbhull
    robbhull Posts: 8 Member
    I believe you have Whole Foods market in The UK? You can get them there for sure. Otherwise they usually just come in bags somewhere in the produce section. Probably near the bags of lettuce and prepared salads. What are you going to use them for? They make great snacks.
  • I live in the States, and my shop sells them in the frozen veg sections. However, I've bought them for much cheaper in the local Asian foods shop. Check your nearest Chinatown -- edamame are Japanese, but you might find them there anyway.
  • jaitken_22
    No your help is much appreciated! I wasn't sure what form they would be sold in.. fresh, canned, frozen.. though never thought of looking in the frozen section!

There is an Asian food shop about 45 mins away from me and I'll be that way on Wednesday, so I might go and have a look!

Today I was planning to make a cold pasta salad for my lunch at work this week. I couldn't find the beans so I made the pasta without! I've never tried them before, does anyone know what they taste like??
  • I'm also in the states and I always get mine in the frozen foods section. They may also be called soy beans. It's the same thing. I think they have sort of nutty flavor. I love them and eat them all the time.
  • Tabs24
    Tabs24 Posts: 1
    im in uk - waitrose do them shelled - you boil them in salted water or boots do them in the pods in the shapers meal section and you just pop them out the pod and eat them - they are nice - hard to explain but i eat them almost daily at work!
  • SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    In Tescos they are near the frozen peas .... Birds Eye do them not sure if Tescos do their own or not but thats where you will find them:bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.