How safe is it? (strength training)

amandacmp
amandacmp Posts: 7
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Is it safe to do strength training when you are still really sore from working that specific area a couple of days ago? I know you should generally wait at least a day in between for the muscles to heal, but I am STILL really sore, so should I wait or push through through the discomfort?

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Depends how sore you are. If you still feel you can lift with good form and you're not hurting too much then I don't see it being a problem. Personally I'd leave it though and just train other muscle groups until you've healed.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    be gentle, but move. I would recommend some cardio, more circulation improves the healing process and relieves pain and stiffness. then I would maybe do one set with lighter weights than you usually use, or wait one more day. If you wait more than 3 days you won't improve your strength at all.
    (I have taken a variety of courses and worked as a personal trainer for a year)
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    I would give it another day or two to recover. Do some cardio or train a different body part.
  • I'd chill and take a rest day. You might mess something up worse than what it already is.
  • Thanks everyone for the input. Good info. :-) I did some good cardio and think I will go back at the strength training easier tomorrow. :happy:
This discussion has been closed.