Eating at night?

Options
Is it true that it's bad to eat late at night? I seem to always eat dinner around 8 or 9 (after I get home from the gym).

Replies

• allie5199
    allie5199 Posts: 240
    Options
    Is it true that it's bad to eat late at night? I seem to always eat dinner around 8 or 9 (after I get home from the gym).
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Its good to not eat much 1-2 hours before you go to bed is what I hear. So if you are up later than 9 for a while, its probably not a big deal. I've also heard that that is an old wives tale as well.
    It mostly depends on your metabolism.
  • mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I was just checking out another forum (researching for your question) and the general consensus was that it's ok to eat a late dinner just don't start at 9 and stop at 11, or go over you calories. I do know, however, that eating late for some creates restless and painful sleep. A full stomach tends to put pressure on you depending on how you lay and of course with your body in precessing-mode it's almost impossible to get good R.E.M. sleep which means you basically lay in limbo till morning. You're body might feel rested but your mind and nervous system don't get the re-coup they need. As long as you don't go over your calories and try not to eat RIGHT before bed I think you'll be fine.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    i have also read in multiple places that WHEN you eat dosent matter, it is WHAT you eat that matters. Your body isnt necessarily on a 'clock' like your brain thinks it is. I think it may be a matter of personal preference. I eat dinner very late and thought it was bad, but i found out that it is best to eat your biggest meal after your workout, which for me is late. That way your body is revved up and ready to burn what you ate, even if you are sleeping while you do it. :)
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with Em... what kinds of things are you eating that late? Also, what time do you go to bed?
  • allie5199
    allie5199 Posts: 240
    Options
    I usually eat veggies, fruit, and protein (maybe a chicken breast and broccoli or an omlette). and I usually dont get to bed until 11:30 or 12...at least 2 hours after I eat.
    Thanks for all your help guys!!!
  • bayaderka
    bayaderka Posts: 53
    Options
    Everything said is definitely true.

A nutritionist once told me how the "don't eat after 6 pm" myth began. I was basically to scare people out of doing late night snacking in front of the TV.

However, I like to eat a light/healthy/bland/basic dinner before bed, if not try to feel a little hungry before going to sleep because I never like to feel full in the morning. Sometimes feeling hungry is a great motivation to roll out of bed! :tongue:
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what is true or not.. but this is how i look at it... My aunt and cousion.. SKINNY AND HEALTY of course.. Eat a bowl of cereal before bed every night... not a HUGE bowl like we all like but a serving of strawberry mini wheats with some skim milk.. and they are healthy and never been over weight...lol.. but thats just what they tell me.. they dont stave at all why should they starve at night..lol.. thats my opionion on the subject....:bigsmile:
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    Options
    mmm my roomates and i always eat cereal at night! i usually do a fiber one or frosted mini wheats as well... i usually will do this when i eat an earlier dinner and am up quite late. this actually keeps me from not binging at breakfast.

also, i agree with everyone else's comments. it's not what time you eat, but what you're putting in your mouth during those late hours. i frequently have to eat dinner late because of waitressing but i just watch what goes into my mouth.
  • apple321grape1
    Options
    It's not good to eat at night.
    Your digestive system shuts down when you go to sleep ,therefore the nutrients in food are not absorbed fully, so most of the food is converted and stored as fat,
    Also eating late hinders the toxin elimination process(that's too complex to explain)
    Give a gap of one and half hour at least.

http://healthydiet-tips.blogspot.com/
  • overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    If I MUST eat something at night, I usually do a moderate portion of yogurt. Oatmeal will also suffice since the fiber fills you up easier and makes it less difficult to also fall asleep.

Anything else will just cause' my insomnia to flare up from being bloated.
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    I tend to agree with apple, for the fact that the digestive system does slow down when you sleep.
    I heard that if you eat at night, you should wait an hour before you go to sleep or take a 30 minute walk.
    That's the theory.
    For me, real live is: if I work 12 hrs and have to work 12 the next night, I come home and prettgy much have to go to bed, since I have not much more than 8 hours to sleep left. I eat, try to stay awake as long as I can, but then have to go to bed to be fit again the next night.
    Not ideal.