Starting to run

Options
so I have been working out a lot lately but I really would like to start running. As of right now I can't even run an 1/8 of a mile without getting winded and hurting, how do I train myself to be able to run for miles?

Replies

• Phoenyxtears
    Options
    A lot of people on here have suggested "Couch to 5k". I know little about it, but it seems to be as popular as Zumba on here lol
  • mrsbolanos
    mrsbolanos Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the couch to 5k and it really helps you get accustomed to running. You alternate running and walking and each week you add a bit of time to the running and take away time from walking. There are a ton of podcasts on itunes you can check out. I like the program from 5k101.com

Hopefully I'll be ready for a 5k in May. That is my goal!

Good luck!!
  • I have never heard of that. I feel like a loser bc I can't run a damn mile. I'm not that big that I physically can't it's just that I breathe.
  • carroll777
    Options
    Hi Sar, I am a long time runner - I love it.

Here are a few tips:

Get fitted for good running shoes at a shop they know they are doing - this is because we all run differently and shoes are made to compensate.

Stretch before and after running - this will help prevent injuries and soreness

find a nice park where you can enjoy the run

don't run too far or too fast - a gradual increase of speed and distance will keep you for getting sore or injured and you can run the next day.

Mix it up, run and walk and run and walk - this is a great way to start and there is NO SHAME in it - walking is a good time to have a tip of water.

Take water.

Have fun and good luck!

btw maybe do a fun run some day down the road!
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Google Couch to 5K - it's a wonderful program to work from walking to running. And definately invest in good shoes from a real running store. It is shocking what a difference that can make. They'll analyze your stride and foot and recommend the best shoe for you. It is expensive, but the next time you need shoes you can order them online or buy them at a cheaper store.
  • Bump