This is sick, & definitely not going to score me any popular

Options
Ok, so I've been working out lately, which is something my old body just isn't used to, today I went to the gym and had a pretty decent workout strength training wise - I was only on the treadmill 40 minutes and the bike 10 minutes (my cool down) - came home, got in the shower and when I got out...alllll the skin was peeling off my heels in huge nasty chunks! Is this from exercise? My shoes? ( I thought I had decent shoes) -- is it just my body shedding it's unhealthy self? WTH is it from. The only thing I can think of is possibly that I was exercising. I realize it's been a while since I had a pedicure but dang! Anyone know if this is from exercise, shoes, or something else?

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Sounds like dry skin to me....
  • RobinAlexader
    RobinAlexader Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    sounds like to me it may be just dead skin coming off because of your sweat. My heels do that occasionally. I get a lot of dead skin on my feet and it tends to peel off if I sweat. I don't really think its anything to worry about.
  • brandygburke
    brandygburke Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    haha. Yes, apparently some dry skin to it - but at 31 years old, I'm sure I had dry skin before, and trust me, this was much more excessive than that :) I lost the whole bottom of my foot. Not good, not good!
  • brandygburke
    brandygburke Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Maybe that's it Birdie, maybe it's just that I never sweated much before this, coupled with the dry skin - whatever it was, it was sick, and now I don't want to work out again - (haha just kidding) so both comments were prob right on!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I use a pumice stone on my feet right after I get out of the shower. I used to get that peeling skin on my feet just from everyday living, and it was so gross. Since I started using the pumice stone, it doesn't do that nearly so much. Every once in a while I'll get a patch, but it's not as bad as it used to be.
  • Charrisse
    Options
    Do you shower at the gym? Could you have picked up some foot fungus from the floor? Gross yes, but a possibility. I alwasy go home to shower (germaphobe at your service!!!)
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Maybe that's it Birdie, maybe it's just that I never sweated much before this, coupled with the dry skin - whatever it was, it was sick, and now I don't want to work out again - (haha just kidding) so both comments were prob right on!

Sounds as though that may have added up to weightloss in itself. LOL
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I have this problem in every season except summer. My heals get dry, then crack, then peel off in huge chunks. The only thing that helps me is the pedi-egg you can buy at CVS. It's like a cheese grater for your feet*LOL* I use it on my scaley spots when I get out of the shower, a few times a week, then I slather on lotion and put my socks on. The shower moisture gets absorbed and the sweat as I go about my day helps too.

It's been much better this year since I've started doing this, but I've never been able to get rid of it completely.

Shannon
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Do you shower at the gym? Could you have picked up some foot fungus from the floor? Gross yes, but a possibility. I alwasy go home to shower (germaphobe at your service!!!)

I agree - sounds like "athlete's foot", which is something you pick up in the locker room and/or showers. Lortimin helps - you can get it at Walgreen's and be sure to take flip flops to wear in the gym shower so you can avoid putting your bare feet on the floor!
  • coog81855
    Options
    I do not think that it is a foot fungus...you probably have dry skin on the heels, as we most all do, and you sweated and softened it up, the same as if you had soaked your feet for a pedicure. Your socks in turn rubbed them as you were exercising and rubbed off some of the skin. When you removed your socks you was probably then able to pull off some of the loose skin. If it is a foot fungus it would be red and itching alot. Just my two cents worth!
  • adellepuppy
    Options
    Your diet and exercise are definitely shocking your system. All kinds of things can happen from that, and they are totally unpredictable. When I was a dancer, the stuff my feet did would gag a surgeon. I would say don't worry about it. Keep as clean as you can, as often as you can. Lots of lotion to feed your skin. Fish oil and flax oil also enormously help heal skin. And just be aware of things. If it continues then see a doctor. And don't worry about the gross factor. We're in this together. There's naturally going to be some yuck on the road to where we're going. But, don't let me miss this chance to say to you, this is only happening cause you are doing great things for yourself, and your loved ones. Keep it going! You rock!