Peanut Butter diet?

Options
I am on a quest to drop down to 165 from 180lbs. I am sticking to a daily 1500 calorie limit. I have seen alot of articles about peanut butter being good for weight loss, yet it is high in fat. My question is if I eat 1200 calories from peanut butter and the rest coming from eggs(white only), fruits and vegetables, would this help me lose weight? I am not a nutritionist and the "fat" in peanut butter concerns me.

Replies

• cassidystreasures
    Options
    i doubt you are going to lose weight with just peaunt butter. You need to eat other healthy foods and exercise
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    don't bother - eat proper whole foods, exercise. that should do it.
  • jennlee80
    Options
    The problem is 1,200 calories from just peanuts isn't enough substance! Yes, nuts can help with weight lose!! But usually that's no more than a handful a day. This is just my opinion though :) Good luck with your goals!!
  • Diya13
    Diya13 Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist but I am trained in biology. The fat in peanut butter is mostly the "good" fat you get from nuts, avocados, etc. BUT it does not sound healthy at all to restrict your diet so much. There's no way you can get all the vital nutrients your body needs from so few foods. And even the good fats can be harmful in excessive quantities. My recommendation would be to follow a balanced diet, and talk to your doctor if you're having trouble losing weight despite living a healthier lifestyle.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I agree... too much of any one food isn't healthy since you don't get a variety of nutrients that way. I think a little peanut butter each day is good.. I love it myself, but make sure it's one that's good for you and not all fake stuff. There are some really good natural PB's out there!!!
  • gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    you need a lifestyle change. eat right and by right i mean all the food groups, not just partially hydrogonated oils (Peanutbutter) which these oils are very bad for you.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I am on a quest to drop down to 165 from 180lbs. I am sticking to a daily 1500 calorie limit. I have seen alot of articles about peanut butter being good for weight loss, yet it is high in fat. My question is if I eat 1200 calories from peanut butter and the rest coming from eggs(white only), fruits and vegetables, would this help me lose weight? I am not a nutritionist and the "fat" in peanut butter concerns me.

Um...NO! :noway:

I don't even know how else to respond to this post because it sounds so preposterous I can't imagine anyone would even WANT to try it. Did you find this online somewhere or are you just messing with us? :indifferent:
  • wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    What???? you want to eat 1200 calories in peanut butter alone? COMMON!!! they key to any weightloss program is that it remains sustainable in the long run. The best way to lose weight is through exercise and healthy eating. For instance you can have a Peanut butter Jelly sandwich for breakfast, have a some whole wheat pasta and sauce for lunch and a salad bowl with some fruits on the side. you can even add an apple for a snack. All this for 1500 calories. Its healthy, its balanced and filling. Most importantly it is sustainable in the long run.

Dont get stuck on a diet, you will add the weight back once you stop. Think long term weightloss and make it a lifestyle

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    your post reminds me of the Twinkie Diet, in which a nutrition professor ate sweets and junk foods every meal for 10 weeks, keeping his calorie count under 1800. but he lost 30 pounds and his body fat percentage went down. he was trying to show that for weight loss, counting calories matters more than nutritional value.

i've no doubt that if you or anyone were to cut calorie intake, you'd lose weight. i wouldn't say it's healthy for your body tho, and i wouldn't recommend it as a long-term lifestyle change. as intriguing (and yummy) as a peanut butter diet may be, i think it's better to have a well-balanced diet with no major food groups cut out.
  • virginiagomes
    virginiagomes Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Um...NO! :noway:

I don't even know how else to respond to this post because it sounds so preposterous I can't imagine anyone would even WANT to try it. Did you find this online somewhere or are you just messing with us? :indifferent:

My point. :)
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    your post reminds me of the Twinkie Diet, in which a nutrition professor ate sweets and junk foods every meal for 10 weeks, keeping his calorie count under 1800. but he lost 30 pounds and his body fat percentage went down. he was trying to show that for weight loss, counting calories matters more than nutritional value.
    This is the Taco Bell Drive-Thru Diet, haha.
  • kellylczz
    Options
    A friend of mine has been trying this diet, no good results, put weight on, plus the peanut butter caused bad constipation. I wouldnt recommend eating a ton of peanut butter.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    actually, i re-read the CNN article and 2/3 of his calories were from junk food (he wanted to eat veggies in front of his kids to set a good example :) ). other health indicators improved too. his good cholesterol went up, and his bad cholesterol went down by 20% each. his triglyercide level dropped 40%. it was only after he stopped this diet and started eating meats again that his cholesterol went up.

even so, i am definitely not making a case for a junk food-only diet. :) the findings caused lots of puzzlement and even he wasn't sure what conclusions to draw. in my view, a balanced diet is the way to go! :)
  • chaeid
    Options
    I have been hitting the gym for 1 to 3 hours everyday since the beginning of the year. I am confident that I can continue my newfound exercising habits for the long term. I was just curious about a potential "peanut butter diet". As for those of you saying I need a balanced diet, here is my potential diet for the day with peanut butter.

2 hard boiled eggs (white only)
    2 cups 2% milk
    2 fuji apples
    3 bananas
    8 tbsp of peanut butter
    1 men's health multivitamin

In total this would be about 1500-1600 calories. Based on the app, the only glaring standouts in the nutrient summary are the sugar intake and total fat (But I have been reading that most of the fat in peanut butter is healthy).

As I said before, I am going to the gym for 1 to 3 hours daily (most of it on cardio with some weights). So can someone please give me a detailed explanation as to why this wouldn't work instead of simply telling me it's bad and things such as "too much of anything is bad".
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    wow...just wow.

Peanut butter (natural) is good in regular amounts. It is NOT a good primary source for protein. Eat a balanced diet with meat, dairy, fruits and veg and stick to your calorie limit and exercise.
  • wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    It just might work, my question would be do you plan to eat like that for the rest of your life. As with any diet the weight will initially come off, but once you get to eating normally, it will come back on. a balanced diet is still your best choice. your body will thank you

Looks like you have your mind made up. good luck.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I have been hitting the gym for 1 to 3 hours everyday since the beginning of the year. I am confident that I can continue my newfound exercising habits for the long term. I was just curious about a potential "peanut butter diet". As for those of you saying I need a balanced diet, here is my potential diet for the day with peanut butter.

2 hard boiled eggs (white only)
    2 cups 2% milk
    2 fuji apples
    3 bananas
    8 tbsp of peanut butter
    1 men's health multivitamin

In total this would be about 1500-1600 calories. Based on the app, the only glaring standouts in the nutrient summary are the sugar intake and total fat (But I have been reading that most of the fat in peanut butter is healthy).

As I said before, I am going to the gym for 1 to 3 hours daily (most of it on cardio with some weights). So can someone please give me a detailed explanation as to why this wouldn't work instead of simply telling me it's bad and things such as "too much of anything is bad".

I would be STARVING if this was all I ate in a day. Starving and putting on weight! Haha.

You'd be so much more successful (I think) eating a balanced diet, 3-5 meals per day, of regular foods coming under your target calories. The problem with these fad diets is that they aren't sustainable and they don't teach proper eating habits. Get on EatingWell.com and find some low calorie recipes that you'd like to try and just stick to your 1600 (or however many) calories with regular food.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    go with almond butter, macadamia nut butter, cashew butter... ANYTHING BUT PEANUT BUTTER! Peanuts are not nuts. They are legumes, just like garbanzos and kidney beans.

I think the best thing you could do if you want to do a PB diet is try coconut butter. Now THAT stuff is eat-me-from-the-jar worthy!

Focus on eating clean & the weight will come off. Cut out processed food (except essentials like milk & what not), focus on fresh veggies, fruit, and critter.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/diet-bodybuilding/all-natural-peanut-butter-diet-mr-x-280768.html

Good Luck.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The first problem you're going to face if you do this is that you'll get bored of it and stop. 100% guarantee. This isn't a challenge, its a promise. You might do it for a week if you're really dedicated, but I've no idea why you'd want to.

A more general, theoretical problem that would cause you problems if you somehow kept this up for a few months is that you'd start getting deficiencies in all sorts of vitamins and minerals. You shouldn't eat the same meal plan every day. That's what's called a 'balanced and varied diet'. It would be fine to eat 'some' peanut butter almost every day for the rest of your life as long as you didn't do *everything* the same all the time, and as long as peanut butter wasn't a main food group for you.

My advice, don't do any abnormal things. Decide to make a lifestyle change and change to healthy living and healthy eating. You'll definitely loose the weight but you'll also be healthy so later in life you'll still have your vision and hearing, your hair and your brain capacity and a higher chance of living many more years. Peanut butter wont give you those things and "loosing weight now and worrying about health later" never works. Just do them both at once.