Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What's with people at the gym???

Okay, so I was at the gym this afternoon, using the recumbent elliptical (recovering from sprained ankle), and a woman comes up to me to ask me how I like the machine. I tell her that it's fantastic -- while dripping with sweat from over 30 mins cardio -- making it rather self-evident that it works. But then this stranger must have decided that I was her new best friend in the universe. Starts to whine and complain that she never has time to get to the gym, blah blah blah.... and wants me to empathize with her. HELLO!!! I'm trying to sweat here!!!

Was I missing something? I thought the gym was where I was supposed to go to work off the weight.... not disrupt other people in their workouts. If anyone has any insight on this type of behavior, clue me in please. I'm STILL confused.

Replies

• I'd suggest wearing your ipod or mp3 player. Even if you don't have it turned on.. others will see that you are preoccupied and aren't interested in conversation :)
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    I was wearing my iPod. I never go to the gym without it. My gym has lots of tv screens set up, but I ignore them and crank the tunes while doing my cardio and then weight lifting.

When 'friendly woman' first started talking to me, I didn't notice. When I'm really in the groove on one of the cardio machines, I often close my eyes to concentrate on my breathing. She tapped me on the shoulder to interrupt my workout!
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    far to many people go to be social and not get a sweat going, mp3 all the way, loud :P
  • PepsiGal
    PepsiGal Posts: 85 Member
    Looks like that stranger who interrupted your workout was just very lonely. Some people are so desperate for human conversation that they'll do anything to get it. Sorry she interrupted your workout, maybe she'll get the hint eventually. I'm like you, when I go to the gym, I don't have time to chit-chat.
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Sounds like a "what the ...." moment. Gym is is me time it is okay to say nicely, I need to concentrate on what I am doing and would be happy to speak you when I am finished.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Actually, when doing cardio one of the best things you can do is chat while you're doing it. If you can carry on a conversation your in good shape.

Chatting while on the machine causes your body to work more of the core muscles that are so important to health.

I actually go out of my way to bring sexy heathen men to the gym with me to talk while we do our cardio.

Plus it totally makes the time go by faster.

She was giving you a gift.

Making you have a higher burning, more efficient work-out.
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    I've been fortunate to have not encontered such people at my gym, thus far *knock on wood*. The only ones who have interreputed me have been some muscle headed men who actually came over to help correct my form and give me tips. You had much more patience than I , I probably would have said something along the lines of "you're here now, go make the best of your time". :)
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    While I agree that its weird behavior, I don't see how the interruption really affects your workout. I appreciate it when I run into people that I know while I'm doing cardio, because the 5-10 minutes they are talking to me while pass by without me even noticing.
  • Annerea
    Annerea Posts: 104
    I had a similar experience a few weeks ago. My gym is v v small with only a few of each type of equipment. The other day I was doing some weights while sitting on the swiss ball for core stability. Some girl came over and asked me if I was really using the ball for balance, as she wanted to use it!!??

First rule of gym etiquette - if I'm on it, I'm using it. You wait your turn!!
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Actually, when doing cardio one of the best things you can do is chat while you're doing it. If you can carry on a conversation your in good shape.

Chatting while on the machine causes your body to work more of the core muscles that are so important to health.

I actually go out of my way to bring sexy heathen men to the gym with me to talk while we do our cardio.

Plus it totally makes the time go by faster.

She was giving you a gift.

Making you have a higher burning, more efficient work-out.

Agree and love this post! :) Be positive!! :)
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    While I agree that its weird behavior, I don't see how the interruption really affects your workout. I appreciate it when I run into people that I know while I'm doing cardio, because the 5-10 minutes they are talking to me while pass by without me even noticing.

Totally agree with this one as well :)