setting calorie goals

Options
Hi. I'm new and wondering about calorie goals. When I fill out the profile, it sets my goal at 1200 calories. I went back and changed it to 1500 by doing the custom goals because I feel like I'm starving at 1200. Do you think that's okay? It just seems more attainable and something that I can consider a lifestyle change versus "diet".

Also, I'm on some medication that makes me retain water...a lot. My weight can flucuate 3-5 pounds in a day based on what I eat. Obviously I need to be on a low sodium diet, which unfortunately doesn't always happen (although I'm working a lot harder at it with this new plan). So, anyway, what I'm thinking is I will weigh daily and then get a weekly average. Do you think that makes sense? My goal is to lose 15 pounds.

By the way, I'm new on the site and I love it!! It's so easy to use and I'm enjoying reading back over old messages. Thanks!!!

Replies

• jlr1115
    jlr1115 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi. I'm new and wondering about calorie goals. When I fill out the profile, it sets my goal at 1200 calories. I went back and changed it to 1500 by doing the custom goals because I feel like I'm starving at 1200. Do you think that's okay? It just seems more attainable and something that I can consider a lifestyle change versus "diet".

Also, I'm on some medication that makes me retain water...a lot. My weight can flucuate 3-5 pounds in a day based on what I eat. Obviously I need to be on a low sodium diet, which unfortunately doesn't always happen (although I'm working a lot harder at it with this new plan). So, anyway, what I'm thinking is I will weigh daily and then get a weekly average. Do you think that makes sense? My goal is to lose 15 pounds.

By the way, I'm new on the site and I love it!! It's so easy to use and I'm enjoying reading back over old messages. Thanks!!!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I'd say your plan makes a lot of sense.

My calories were set for 1200 also and I was STARVING all the time. I started exercising more so that I could have more calories to eat (I usually work off about 500 calories per day). So I'd say one or the other should work -- either work out more so you can eat those exercise calories, or bump up your daily intake to 1500.

I can't comment on the low-sodium issue, but I think that your plan to weigh daily and then average the numbers is a good one.

Good luck!! You'll find lots of encouragement on this site!!
  • jlr1115
    jlr1115 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately today I went over my calories even at 1500 --OOPS! I did get a good workout in, but still not enough to compensate. There's always tomorrow though.