What is a healthy BMI??

Options
Hey, I am currently 154 pounds at 5'5, and i just saw that i have a BMI of 26.75. What does that mean?? How do i know what my goal should be??

Replies

• thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    A healthy BMi is between 18.5 and 25, so you're pretty close. Just google "BMI calculator" and you'll be able to play with it to see what a healthy BMi means for you weight-wise.
  • CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    A healthy BMI is 18.5 to 24.9, which would mean a healthy BMI weight for you would be 111-150 lbs
  • Reka2011
    Reka2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    MFP actually gives you a BMI calculator that you can use and compare!
  • ctheslayer
    Options
    BMI is body mass index which measures the ideal weight based on the height of the individual. It is a good measure of one's ideal weight for most people but may be an inaccurate measure for people who have more muscle mass.

To calculate:

(weight in pounds) x 703 / (height x height) = BMI

For example, your numbers show a BMI of 25.6.

154 lbs x 703 / (65 x 65) = 25.6

A healthy BMI range, as per lilmissgenius220, is 18.5 - 24.9. To reverse calculate your ideal weight range:

18.5 x 65 x 65 / 703 = 111.2 ~ 111 lbs.
    24.9 x 65 x 65 / 703 = 149.6 ~ 150 lbs.

You need to lose 4 lbs. to be in the Normal BMI range.

Although MFP has a good BMI calculator, I prefer this site instead: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

Hope this helps.
  • frankbo25
    frankbo25 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't put too much weight into BMI especially since its original purpose wasn't even to measure healthy body weight at all. I doesn't take many factors into account like muscle mass for example. My favorite example to use is the rapper 50 Cent.
    50 is 5'11"

1st pic 50 at 160 for a movie role BMI =22.3 which is in the normal range
    2cd pic is 50 at 214 lbs BMI=29.8 which is borderline obese
    3rd pic is me at 189 BMI of 26.4 which is overweight by 11 lbs(also 5'11")
    hiphopmediatraining-377920876-1275008096_thumb.jpg
    ex_50_cent_ap.jpg
    DSCN2112.jpg

I used to watch this show from Penn and Teller called BullSh?? where they did an episode dedicated to BMI a real interesting watch if you can find it.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Those pics are the beat visual I've seen for showing that BMI is mostly a load of bull. Lol

Thanks for these!
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    Those pics are the beat visual I've seen for showing that BMI is mostly a load of bull. Lol

Thanks for these!
    [below as quote by SHBoss in previous thread on BMI]
    BMI was never intended to be an individual measure. It was designed as a macro tool, used to measure large communities for averages, not individuals, and as such, don't use it as some kind of a tool to judge your health.

You can use it in a very very general sense, if you have no other measurements by which to go. . Since BMI doesn't take into account muscle mass, it's not intended for those who have an inordinately high amount of muscle mass. the more muscle mass you have, the higher you can push the upper limits.

..... so if you are like a majority of the population, ie not "muscle bound" BMI will give you a reasonsble indication of healthy weight range, but skin folds or % body fat measure will give a better view that would help confirm appropriate weight

In our society today overweight has become the norm, so we all seem to assume that normal BMI range is too light (caveat being those with normal muscle levels)
  • frankbo25
    Options

Thanks for these!
    [below as quote by SHBoss in previous thread on BMI]
    BMI was never intended to be an individual measure. It was designed as a macro tool, used to measure large communities for averages, not individuals, and as such, don't use it as some kind of a tool to judge your health.

You can use it in a very very general sense, if you have no other measurements by which to go. . Since BMI doesn't take into account muscle mass, it's not intended for those who have an inordinately high amount of muscle mass. the more muscle mass you have, the higher you can push the upper limits.

..... so if you are like a majority of the population, ie not "muscle bound" BMI will give you a reasonsble indication of healthy weight range, but skin folds or % body fat measure will give a better view that would help confirm appropriate weight

In our society today overweight has become the norm, so we all seem to assume that normal BMI range is too light (caveat being those with normal muscle levels)
    ditto... the best bet is to get you body weight down, waist size down, and get your bloodwork done to assess your risks(blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol, tryglygerides, etc.) dont kill yourself only trying to get a low BMI
  • kimiel
    kimiel Posts: 108
    Options
    Oh man, you look like three different people. I think I would look ill if i wieghed on the lower scale of what my BMI says, as you do in the top photo!
  • frankbo25
    Options
    Oh man, you look like three different people. I think I would look ill if i wieghed on the lower scale of what my BMI says, as you do in the top photo!
    Ummmm thats not me in the first 2 pics, thats rapper/actor 50 Cent, im the last pic with the Voltron shirt