protein

Options
I try to make good choices in what I eat but I keep going over my protein count. What can I do?

Replies

• JennyBanker
    JennyBanker Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I try to make good choices in what I eat but I keep going over my protein count. What can I do?
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    That's been my biggest problem by far too! I've learned to have like oatmeal & blueberries for breakfast most days, and salad, with fat free cheddar cheese and Wish Bone Spritzer for lunch, exercise during the day (dancing to fast music in my living room, and lots of walking) and THEN I get to have my protein (meat, YUM!) at night. LOL.
    I've cut down eating peanut butter too, which I REALLY LOVE, to only once a week.
    Hope this helps you some. I'm sure others will have their own ideas as to what to do about having too much protein.
  • atodaro
    atodaro Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Is your protein count dictated by a doctor, or are you just following the default guidelines on this web site? There are lots of well researched diets that call for higher amounts. One guide I saw was one gram per pound. It can be somewhat less for women... Like 85%. Some of us have to add protein powder to get enough!
    but if you are happy with the current goal then cut back on your portion size. Cut up you chicken breasts before you cook them into the appropriate size and cook them and bag and freeze rehn in single servo be. (you can use the same general idea for other forms of protein. If you are unsure of the math to make conversions so you can downsize portions that is a whole other topic.
    maybe if you could give us an idea what what your specific protein sour we are, we could be more helpful?
  • JennyBanker
    JennyBanker Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am just going by what this website says about how much protein I eat. It seems almost everything I eat has protein even dry cereal.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    It's ok to go over protien, but unless you are working out HARDCORE, I would try not to go WAY over. too much protein isn't good for you, your body can only handle so much, but going over a bit, even everyday, is ok and won't hurt you.
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Here is a snippit from another health-related site:

"A long-time, rough rule of thumb for daily protein intake has been 1 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight (a kilogram, or Kg., is equal to 2.2 pounds). This would be about 50 grams daily for a 110-pound person, and about 70 grams for a 154-pounder."

Many women have a hard time even reaching this number (I know I do). I have a scoop of whey protein in a shake M-F to help me make my quota, BUT you don't HAVE to have that much to survive. Remember, however, long tern protein deficiency has its side effects..... A big one is hair loss and brittle and slow growing finger nails.. (This I know from personal experience)

Best of luck to you!
  • Mrsace13
    Mrsace13 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is my first day and I went over too and I don't feel like I had too much. Is most of the food calculator correct on this site do you know?

Do we need more protein if we are working out more?