Breakfast and Morning Workout

Options
Hello,

I am going to be doing mostly cardio on an elliptical trainer in the mornings. My question is whether to eat before or after?

This morning I am eating an apple before and will eat some more when I come back.

Thanks,

S.

Replies

• bka8
    bka8 Posts: 92
    Options
    I usually feel awful the rest of the day if I try to get a good sweat in before eating. I can do like a sit up routine and stretching on an empty stomach just fine, but if I'm going for cardio, I find I need to eat something (bread, an energy bar,etc).
  • lclarius
    lclarius Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I always have trouble eating when i first get up and before a work out but i know it is better to have something in your system when you work out. I will usually have a banana, breakfast bar or a slice a toast with peanut butter. I think your head is in the right place with in apple. Since you are doing mostly cardio i would eat something with a decent amount of carbohydrates and little bit of protein...(im no nutritionist though)
  • arwamya
    arwamya Posts: 304
    Options
    Yes you should have breakfast before working out. the gap between dinner the night before and breakfast is already huge almost 9 hours so my advice is eat an hour before working out since it'd jumpstart your metabolism and you wouldn't feel low on energy during workouts and i speak from experience :) Good luck !
  • michelleLynette
    michelleLynette Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    If it's before 8am Im fine working out on a empty stomach. I drink a lot of water. If it's after 8am I have my usual breakfast of oatmeal and blueberries! I hope you find out what works for you!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I would eat first, but that's me. I typically go to bed slightly hungry, so if I wake up and try to get too active before eating I get shaky and sick. But some people are just the opposite, and get sick if they eat before working out. Try and see what works for you.
  • newnicole
    Options
    hey!
    heres what i do..
    i worked out this morning at 7 which means that i was waking up around 630 wayyy too early for me to actually eat anything
    BUT... i did have a spoonful of peanut butter and a nectarine.. a light fruit that isn't going to weigh you down and some protein to give you that boost of energy..
    now im sitting down with my toast and peanut butter and enjoying a more relaxed breakfast plus now im not going to have to worry about adding even more food (calories) since i'm going to hungry sooner if that makes sense? it'll just be like my normal breakfast.
    hope this helps!
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    I'm pregnant and feel like if I don't eat immediately I feel sick. Today I had a Luna bar and waited 30 minutes then hopped on my treadmill. Do whatever makes you feel best, but I would imagine you would need a little something before working out!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    On the mornings I do cardio it's always fasted cardio. I can't face food at 6am and it would not give me enough time to digest before a 6:30am spin class for instance.

I know the whole subject of a.m. cardio being superior or not, fasted cardio etc are controversial with plenty of opnion for it and plenty of opinion saying it doesn't matter...

http://www.tomvenuto.com/articles/morning_fat_burn.shtml

... but it works for me.
  • Wolffeathers
    Options
    Various articles I've read say you should eat before hand, and after (something with Carbs and Protein). Also, remember, breakfast should be your BIGGEST meal of the day, as it gives you the calories to get through the day.
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    i find that if i have just a little something to eat then go pick out my outfit for work and put on my workout gear i get a LOT more out of my workout with the energy boost from eating. just because i can get through on an empty stomach doesnt mean that i feel good doing it or that i'm working out as effectively. I'd say it's a really good idea to eat first.
  • backinthenines
    Options
    Perhaps it depends what you call 'morning'. When I'm talking about morning I mean getting up at 5:30am... not 9am...

I don't wake up starving, I still have plenty of energy from the day before, and when I finish training at 7:30am then there is is still PLENTY of time for breakfast.
  • srs1881
    Options
    Thank you for all the comments. It sounds like in aggregate a little protein and some carbs both before and after is the general trend of opinion. I will start there and see what works for me.

Thanks Again,

S.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I have been splitting my breakfast in half - a cup of plain FF yogurt with some fruit (blueberries or strawberries or nectarine, etc.) when I wake up at 6:00. Then I start my workout around 6:30 and I seem to have plenty of energy. Then after I finish, I eat an egg with some egg whites added in, and usually some beans or some cereal (Kashi Go-Lean) or whatever I'm on the mood for. Plus coffee and a small glass of V8.
  • adhillman01
    Options
    I had a Biochemistry professor tell me to ALWAYS eat before a morning workout giving the food a little time to digest. His rationale was that you are coming off of a 12 hour fast because you usually haven't eaten since dinner the night before. Most of your glycogen has been used up, so your body has to break down fat or muscle to provide energy. Unless you are in a starvation mode your brain primarily uses glucose as it's energy source. Your body cannot produce glucose from breaking down fat, it has to break down muscle to do that. So you may be breaking down muscle to feed your brain, which is counterproductive. Once again, this was a guy with the PhD, so I trust him.
  • prettybrownround
    prettybrownround Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    bump
  • backinthenines
    Options
    That's the whole point!!!!!!
    Because your body has used up the carbs it's forced to use the fat for fuel.

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/articles-submit/adrian-bryant/2-ways-fat-loss.htm

And I know my composition well enough to know I am not losing muscle. My BF has dropped massively since I've incorporated 3 very early morning sessions before breakfast. Believe it or not - it makes no odds to me. I know for me it works.
  • michelleLynette
    michelleLynette Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Maybe eat a yogurt or something light. I personally can't eat before early morning workouts.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have read arguments for both eating first and not eating first. I do what works best for me.

On my weight days, I am out of bed at 4:45am and working out by 5am, and I don't eat anything. On my run days in summer, I run at dawn to beat the heat, and as long is it's only around 3 or 4 miles, I go without eating and do just fine.

My exception is this time of year, when I'm not running first thing in the morning - I will have a light snack or breakfast depending on how much time I've got between eating and running.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    On days when I do cardio first thing in the morning, I do not eat before my workout. I drink plenty of water before and during. After my workout, I will make my green juice (kale, cucumber, celery, spinach, green apple, and flaxseed). If I workout in the evening, then I will eat healthy dinner (nothing heavy) mostly good protein (grilled chicken, grilled tilapia) and some steamed veggies. I wait about an hour to hour and half before I start working out.
  • Serendipityunt
    Serendipityunt Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's best to eat something small before working out, but I get up to workout at 6:30, and the last thing I want is to eat. When I have tried to eat before working out, I feel like I want to throw it up, whether I'm lifting weights, running or just on the elliptical. I feel better, and my stomach feels calmer, if I wait to eat after I'm done, but I make sure to eat immediately after. So maybe just try both ways, and go with the one that feels better to you.