Aerobic Step

jamie31
jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok so i am wanting to change some things up with my workouts and have decided to do some step aerobics. What kind of aerobic step do any of you have? I have seen one for $40 at ****s Sporting Good for a 24 inch or $80 for a 40in one... would the 24 inch one work ok?? Both of these have 3 levels for height 4 in, 6 in and 8 in. Does the length really matter and would the 24 inch one work just as good as the 40 in?

Also does anyone have any suggestions for step aerobic workout videos?

Replies

• I like the longer step because it fits more workout dvd's that require an A step, turn step or a side step work. I have the shorter step but I only use it when my son is doing his homework or when I'm watching tv to keep my body moving. I ordered mine from Walmart online and they shipped it to my house with no shipping charges.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    I step at the gym. Ours are 40" and rise from flat (4") to 12". I don't think 24" wide would work so well for the routines we do. I think 24 would be a bit short for V-step, turn step, shuffle turn, squat jumps, L-steps or across the tops. I guess at the end of the day the answer is, it depends on your workout. :)
  • You can get step workouts at www.discountworkouts.com two 60 minute workouts on a DVD for $7. If you buy two DVD's the shipping is free. I bought 4 60-minute workouts and the total was around $15. They also have treadmill, strength training, kickboxing etc. videos if you don't want to buy two step DVD'S. With each DVD the send you a coupon for 10% off your next order. You can preview the videos at youtube or their website.
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    I do the old school Reebok step with Jen Miller...kick my butt every time!! I ordered it online...I used to do this back in 1992- 1993...and i still enjoy it!!!
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Definately get the longer step. I started out with the shorter one and some of the moves were a little difficult to do. I love the longer step and can definately do the moves like they are supposed to be performed. On the shorter step I had to improvise a bit. Two beginner step dvds I have are Kari Anderson's Go Step and Debra Mazda Let's Get Stepping. Both are very good to learn the basic moves. I now do Go Step several times a week and love it. If you can only get one dvd I would suggest Kari Anderson's. Have fun stepping!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Another recommendation for the larger step. I used to have a cheaper, $40 step, but it broke after I started doing more high impact moves. I bought a regular size step, like the ones theyhave at the gym, for $100, and it is durable and lasts. Plus it came with two sets of risers and the rubber tread on the top.

As far as DVDs go, when I was just starting out I loved Kathy Smith, although they were made in the 90s so the clothes and music can be dated. Kathy Kaehler is another great intro to step, with very simple choreography. If you like more complex choreography then you might want to give Cathe a try. One of my favorite DVDs is Kelley Coffey-Meyer's Cardio Blast-it's a 30 minute step workout that has the option of interspercing each segment with plyo moves to up in the intensity. Very fun.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    OK i ordered " the step" from walmart . it even comes with a cathe video! shipping was only $0.97
This discussion has been closed.