Any road bikers?

Options
2»

Replies

• piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a roadie too. Got a bike and started cycling last year and I am in love!! There is actually a cycling group on here called MFP Cycling club. A lot of them have been riding for years and can answer a lot of questions for ya. I would say I'm still fairly new to cycling too but I'm looking to do my first century this year!!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Mine is hooked to a trainer right now. I dont brave the cold even thought I have all the gear :)
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Question: I just bought http://www.pearlizumi.com/publish/content/pi_2010/us/en/index/products/women/ride/footwear/road_footwear.-productCode-5775.html and am curious what some economical pedal/cleats are for them. I know almost nada about road biking gear so ... I'm a tad lost.

It tells you what pedals/cleats they take. They've got a standard 3-bolt fitting for SPD & Look.

SPD Road pedal: http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=NP07534
    and they come with standard SH11s which are nice cleats as they have a bit of float on them (about 6 degrees, nice for the knees)
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/product-images-large/shimano-sh11-spd-sl-cleats-with-6-degrees-of-float-28938.jpg

The alternative are Looks: The classic KEOs are a nice inexpensive pedal
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/outland-look-keo-item146852.html
    which come with Delta cleats
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=33932
    There are red ones (9 degrees float) and black ones (fixed)

Those are the ones that don't cost the earth. As you can see when you google, you can spend a fortune on pedals, like over $250 if you go down the road of buying carbon etc but that's not necessary for a newbie at all.

Then there are other makes for which you can get adapters to fit their cleats, like "Speedplay" pedals which are a bit more expensive but have double sided entry and are easy to unclip from.

A lot of it is personal preference. Hope this helps.
  • daniellevietti
    daniellevietti Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the road! I got my first road bike last year a 2010 Cannondale Synapse 6 Feminine, true love right there! I haven't been riding much this winter (battling the weather, being sick and now a knee injury). It's an amazing feeling, I love that you can make your rides peaceful and serene or intense and aggressive.

Good luck!
  • adwt2004
    Options
    I got myself a boardman road comp before christmas and I'm due to do a duathlon at the end of this month. I plan on eventually doing the half iron man competition in sunny sommerset, uk. I ride to and from work and the gym all the time so I probably cover 60 miles a week without doing specific training. It's great cos I get to eat the extra calore every day!! ;)

I'll add you as a friend!
  • backinthenines
    Options
    If you're interested in a nice Half Ironman, Bala in North Wales is a great race. Very scenic.
  • Willstephens1
    Willstephens1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been cycling for a couple of years now. I don’t have a road bike, i got a Hybrid on the cycle to work scheme, but I’m due to get a new bike any time now, so a road bike is definately on the cards.

I cycle to work and back most days (17 mile round trip) and i try and do organised rides throughout the year. I did Manchester to Blackpool last year, 60 miles, that was a great ride.

The weather in the UK has been ok for the past few weeks (if you don't mind riding in the wind/rain), so clothing isn't such a problem.
  • blondebiker
    blondebiker Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I road and mountain bike! During the spring, summer and fall, I commute to work by bike (15 miles round trip) and I usually do two century (100 mile) rides a year.

Love to meet fellow bikers!
  • cyclone4731
    cyclone4731 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Got my first road bike a couple years ago. Still have it, and still love it. Did my first metric mile last year at the Indianapolis Speedway in a ride to find the cure for diabetes. I agree with all the people that say buy the best pair of bike shorts you can afford. They feel weird at first, but you get used to them. And you are very thankful for them at the end of the ride.

Where at in TN are you? I have ridden the Natchez Trace Parkway a couple times near Nashville. VERY hilly!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I intend to be road riding before too long (subject to Work signing up to the Cycle To Work Scheme...)

I'll be then doing a 25 mile-a-day round trip to work and back each day - hopefully my weight will fly off???
  • adwt2004
    Options
    It should fly off! you'll need to eat more because of the exercise though, just make sure you don't go over board. That is one good thing with the app, at least you know if you have over eaten. I always measure the exercises I do with a hrm if i repeat them a lot like in commuting to work. that way I don't have to keep wearing the hrm and i know how much i've burnt. always worth checking again a few weeks later though as you get fitter. I'm finding i'm not burning as many calories now! : (
  • Willstephens1
    Options
    I really struggle eating my goal calories on the days i cycle. According to MFP 40 mins at 10-12 mph will burn over 300 calories. Twice a day that’s way over 600 calories and I always find that on days that I do cycle to work and back I have tonnes of calories left at the end of the day.

I think I need to 1) invest in a monitor and 2)make an effort to eat more on the days that I do cycle.

I've been using MFP for over 3 weeks now and my weight loss in the first 10 days was nothing, I think it's down to not eating enough/too much exercise.

But if nothing else cycling is great fun and helps keep the fitness levels up.
  • jerzger
    Options
    I've stuck indoors right now on a trainer, but can't wait to get back on the road.

One afternoon I drove by a cyclist sitting on the side of the road changing a tire. Someone else had stopped to help, but the guy waived him on that he was ok. I thought gee, that could have been me, so I took a basic bike repair class at my local REI. The class was free to members. Probably a small fee if you're not a member. Hopefully I never need to do it, but I take a spare and the tool needed to change it with me now whenever I go out. Suggest looking into a course since it might save you from walking your bike home at some point.

About Road ID - I asked a co-worker who moonlights as a paramedic about Road ID, and he thinks it's a good thing to get. He said he's been out on calls where people didn't have any ID on them whatsoever, and feels being able to see contact and medical history at the scene would only be a good thing. His only reget is not thinking of it first. :laugh:

Enjoy your new bike! :happy:
  • adwt2004
    Options
    I really struggle eating my goal calories on the days i cycle.

I have no issues at all with eating all my calories. I'm a food mad guy anyway, at least with the app I can now see when I am over eating. A lot of people post saying they can't eat all their calories, they should spend a day with me! :)
  • Willstephens1
    Options
    lol it's just a case of finding foods to eat that aren't bad for you. I can manage my calories if i don't cycle but when i do i always end up having loads left, and the kind of things i'm eating are pretty low in calories so as hard as i try i always end up with some left. Yesterday i had 381 left, which isn't good.

Is there any food that is a good way to get to your goal calories without eating junk. On a few occasions i've resorted to pizza and chips purely because i had far too many calories left. Not good.
  • backinthenines
    Options
    When I was doing century rides for my Ironman training, you take food with you in your bento box and kind of almost replace calories on the go. What you take with you is largely a matter of choice. I had friends who have a sweet tooth and like stuff like a nutella sandwich, others would take cold salty roasted potatos or salty pretzels, some just take carb gels or power bars etc. To some extend you have to see what you stomach tolerates best on long rides and that's a very individual choice.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Mine is hooked to a trainer right now. I dont brave the cold even thought I have all the gear :)

I do not have a bike yet (hoping to receive it for my birthday...if not I will buy it)
    but when I get it I will def be out there riding every chance I get :happy:

Any suggestions on what kind of trainer to buy??
    I live in the North so I will be in the market for one come the come months

Thanks for any suggestion anyone may have in advance:bigsmile:
  • arwsgirl
    arwsgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Got my first road bike a couple years ago. Still have it, and still love it. Did my first metric mile last year at the Indianapolis Speedway in a ride to find the cure for diabetes. I agree with all the people that say buy the best pair of bike shorts you can afford. They feel weird at first, but you get used to them. And you are very thankful for them at the end of the ride.

Where at in TN are you? I have ridden the Natchez Trace Parkway a couple times near Nashville. VERY hilly!

I'm in Chattanooga. I'll have to check out the Parkway. I bet it's pretty.