Weight training and muscle pain

tolygal
tolygal Posts: 602 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I've started adding weight training to my routine (in the last 2 weeks). There are two days a week when I go to the gym (the days I work at the office). So on those days, instead of doing 60 minutes cardio in the morning, I'm planning to do 30 minutes cardio and then spending the rest of my time on the weight machines. The first week, I only went in on Tuesday. I did 2 sets of 10 reps on each machine I used, and I set the weights high enough that it was REALLY hard to get the last 1-2 reps completed. Then I went back a couple hours later and did my regular aerobic class - that was TOUGH after the weight training. I was pretty sore for several days.

So last week, I did the same thing on Tuesday except I did 3 sets of 10 reps - and again set the weights so I could hardly lift the final reps. Then, I did my aerobic class later. I wasn't as sore, but definetly still felt it. But then on Saturday I did a new video I bought for use at home (The Firm 500 Calorie Workout). It concentrates much more on strength work than my regular videos do (it's a little like the 30-day shred, but more than twice as long), and I tried to do it with everything I had (squating and lunging very low, using heavier weights than I used to, doing the full form pushups (not on my knees) - which is very hard for me). It didn't feel "that hard" when I was doing it - I mean I was pushing myself to focus on building muscle, but wasn't trying to kill myself. but I'm still VERY sore today.

What I'm wondering is, is this right? Am I doing something wrong? Am I supposed to be sore after every strength training day? Will it always be like this or will I get to some point where I'm pushing myself to build muscle but won't get so sore. The prob is that I'm so sore that I can't move well enough to do my cardio for the next 2 days! I don't feel good about that, but I really want to build muscle.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Good for you for changing things up!!! the strength will pay off and you will see changes in your body.

I would think the soreness should get better. You are using your muscles in a new way and they are just responding. The fact you are pushing yourself, too (which you should be, most people don't) adds to the level or soreness.

Keep at it, it will get better. Warm up for 5-10 minutes prior to lifting, stretch well, lift, then spend some time stretching again. You may want to take an advil the next day to help with the soreness. Also, drinking lots of water and continuing to stretch will help.

You are just paying your dues!!! Keep up the great work!!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    This is very normal when stating new or altering your workouts. When you lift weights you get micro tears in the muscle tissues, then when the rebuild they are slightly large and stronger than they were before. SThe soreness will become less the more often you do it and eventually go away, until you try something new again
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    You are just paying your dues!!!

Ha!! I love that - I'll keep that in mind while I wabble around LOL!!
This discussion has been closed.