New Favorite Breakfast!

beqy12
beqy12 Posts: 569
edited September 23 in Recipes
I've been loving this for awhile and can't stop eating it, so I thought I'd share... even though you could all probably come up with it on your own since it really is just apple cinnamon oatmeal.

1 granny smith apple, peeled & cut up into chunks (I eat the peel while I'm making the rest, I'm always hungry and that's where the nutrients are!)
1/2 cup old fashioned oats (cheaper to buy in bulk than packaged oatmeals!)
2 Tbsp whole flax seeds
1 Tbsp cinnamon

Add boiling water... I use very little, 1/2 cup or so... oatmeal recipe calls for 1 but that's pretty watery.

338 cals, but it keeps me full well past lunch, and then I don't overdo for lunch. So much fiber!

Replies

• ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    This sounds delicious!
  • ingeborgv
    ingeborgv Posts: 175 Member
    Thanks for the idea of adding flax seeds! Can't believe I haven't thought of that...

I add frozen rhubarb or blueberries to my oatmeal. And sprinkle with cinnamon. It's heaven!
  • AndyBee
    AndyBee Posts: 171 Member
    How long is it between your breakfast and lunch?
  • pkd1
    pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
    My favorite new breakfast is the friut and oatmeal @ mcdonalds, i found out how to make it at home so i dont have to pay the money and extra calories (since i know what im putting in it) also i make a hawian egg white omlette w pineapple, ham, and alpine lace swiss soooo yummy
  • Mmmmm! Nice!

I like my oatmeal with 1 cup of skim milk and 1 Tbs of Peanut Butter. Keeps me full for 4-5 hours. 325 cal
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Yummy sounds delicious!! My new favorite is a egg omelet with onions, green and red peppers with laughing cow cheese.
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    bump for later on!
  • CherylYMerritt
    CherylYMerritt Posts: 114 Member
    love it! oatmeal is soooooo good for you. I make mine with steel cut oats. nuttier texture, sometimes I will mix in half cup sweet potato puree!
  • seckler
    seckler Posts: 169 Member
    Where do you buy the flaxseed?
  • beqy12
    Where do you buy the flaxseed?

I get mine from Trader Joe's because that's the closest to my house, but it's available at most health food stores, I think.
  • beqy12
    How long is it between your breakfast and lunch?

5 hours in between.... with my office dynamic the eating every three rule doesn't really work out for me in the mornings, so this serves me well.
  • You can also find Flaxseed at Public in the Organic section. And Wal Mart has it in the Spice section with their Organic things. Flaxseed gives Oatmeal a great flavor.
  • michelleLynette
    michelleLynette Posts: 289 Member
    You should be able to find flax seed at all most any grocery store..A lot of stores have it in their bulk section ...you can get ground or whole seeds. If you do ge th e whole seeds you will need a grinder!
  • michelleLynette
    michelleLynette Posts: 289 Member
    I eat Oatmeal all most every morning! Here are different add ins I use. Blueberries, bananas, almond butter(1 tsp), Peanut butter(1 tsp), Ground flax seed, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, protein powder. seedless jam(1 tsp), nutella, 2 tsp lowfat granola, pumpkin or sweet potatoes,apples and slivered almonds! Enjoy!! My fav. is Blueberrys, protein powder and almonds!!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    I eat some variation on this every morning, but make mine in the microwave to avoid boiling water in a kettle...

I toss into a large cereal bowl:
    1/2-1 medium apple with peel, chopped
    1/3cup old fashioned oats
    1 Tbsp chia seed
    1/2 tsp cinnamon or more to taste

Mix to combine and top with 3/4 cup of water. Nuke for 1 min. Stir. Nuke for 45 seconds. Top with 1/4cup 1% plain yogurt.

Honestly, it's the best breakfast and so filling! Tastes like a dessert and takes only 2 mins to make.

Other variations include swapping the apple for a pear, or cook the oats, chia and cinnamon first and adding in fresh blueberries, chopped nectarine, pumpkin puree, or any other fruit you desire. Adding 1/2 of a chopped banana with some walnuts is a great treat as well.

As the previous poster mentioned - If you are using whole flax, grind them before you add them to your oats. Whole flax seeds are too difficult for our bodies to process and so you are missing out on a lot of the good nutritional value using them whole. Chia is a great alternative and it tends to plump up your oatmeal making it even more filling. Since I started adding chia seeds I've cut back my portion of oats from 1/2 cup to 1/3 and it's still VERY filling.
  • beqy12
    Hah! See! Glad I posted this... I did not know this about flax seeds. Next time I won't buy the whole seeds.
This discussion has been closed.