When did I become such a picky, egotistical A-hole?

mr_ashley
mr_ashley Posts: 46
edited September 23 in Chit-Chat
I don't know what happened. I guess I get some of it after my dad, who was a pretty big ego-maniac. But I always thought I'd be grateful and show humility through anything. I mean, it's not like I have a whole lot to be egotistic about. I don't drive an expensive car, don't have a huge house, don't make huge amounts of money (though I'm comfortable and am grateful to even have a job!)

So what the heck happened? Is this just part of becoming an American man in his 30's? Are we all like this?

:D

Replies

• KellieR56
    KellieR56 Posts: 135 Member
    it's the weight loss! I notice a lot of people who lose weight get a bit of an ego inside of them. just don't let it get too big haha
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    My wife told me the same thing when I loss the weight; "You're too cocky now!" My response: "Excuse me if I feel good about myself. That guy was always there, just had no reason to bring it out, now I do." :bigsmile:
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    There is a fine line between confidence and cockiness....just stay on the confidence side and don't be an A-hole! :happy:
  • It's never too late to work at humility and gratitude. I've found that if I focus on gratitude, the egotistical a-hole in me diminishes. Of course, it is ok to be proud of your accomplishments, especially when it comes to weight loss.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    I know I am. It stems from a self-confidence boost. I've been a d-baggin' a-hole since I was big, so it's even a little more prevalent now. I know it and embrace it. I just apply it accordingly when it's necessary. Everything else I treat neutrally.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    I think there is a difference between being an egomaniac and being proud of your accomplishments. I am very proud of what I have accomplished in my life (although I still have PLENTY to do). With some people, I talk about it and they talk about their accomplishments. I can see how that can be seen as bragging or ego, but that's why I limit it to certain people who won't look at it that way.

I am a bigger a-hole though. Damn kids won't stay off my lawn!! :wink:
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    I'm already kinda an a-hole, I try really really hard not to be, but I do it without realizing I am...
    I hope I dont get worse when I lose weight, that would be aweful...
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    I don't know what happened. I guess I get some of it after my dad, who was a pretty big ego-maniac. But I always thought I'd be grateful and show humility through anything. I mean, it's not like I have a whole lot to be egotistic about. I don't drive an expensive car, don't have a huge house, don't make huge amounts of money (though I'm comfortable and am grateful to even have a job!)

So what the heck happened? Is this just part of becoming an American man in his 30's? Are we all like this?

:D

So, you recognize it. Knock it off.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,849 Member
    There is a fine line between confidence and cockiness....just stay on the confidence side and don't be an A-hole! :happy:

Perfect!
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Roaddog's got it; only you can change something you don't like about yourself. There is nothing wrong with being proud of your accomplishments but humility is an art you have to define and refine for yourself. I always believe if I wake up every morning grateful for the good and bad things in my life I stay grounded. Doing good things for others without any benefit, other than the great feeling of doing good, helps as well. Just my personal opinion.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member

This. :-)
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Im confident. I make outlandish statements but only jokingly. Im no better than anyone else and cant stand when folks act like they are
  • Good call there, hoss. There is a very fine line between being so full of yourself that no else can stand in the same room. I try not to come off that way, but I certainly have to remind myself to get off the high horse. Again, I don't know what caused it or where it came from, because there is NO real justification for it.

I am, however, shopping for a sports or sporty type car. HELP!!! I'M ON A HEADLONG SLIDE INTO BECOMING A PRICK!!!!
  • madijo41
    madijo41 Posts: 367 Member
    [/quote]

[/quote]

You so Rock! RoadDog
  • This is HILARIOUS.

Of course RoadDog has it right..to an extent.

I would be glib and say a 'real' man doesn't need to pat himself on the back..that's what we women like to do for our men?
    But I guess the hilarious thing is, you're sort of sidling up to Alpha man territory..but you're not one. I suggest you look into being a Gamma man and find yourself a woman if you don't have one. You're obviously attractive enough.

So finesse it properly, get a woman, so we don't have to stroke your ego for you.
This discussion has been closed.