Breakfast

Options
In need of fast, easy tips for breakfast. I usually have my breakfast when I arrive to work. Usually consists of almonds and a oatmeal bar, sometimes a banana as well; which isnt very much. I have been craving a real breakfast lately and I need something fast, easy, satisfying and healthy. Im thinking something with eggs. I do not like regular oatmeal. Tips?

Replies

• byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Liquid egg whites with veggies and a slice of whole wheat toast (or two depending on your daily calorie allowance). Only takes a couple of minutes, and it will keep you full for a good while.

I suggest LIQUID egg whites, because I personally do not like to waste the egg yolks. And you really can't tell the dfference when they are cooked.
  • Dipmom
    Dipmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I often have eggs, beans, cottage cheese, sliced tomatoes, turkey sausage (not all at once). If I have eggs, I cook them the night before and bring them to work in a small tupperware. A quick minute in the microwave and they are fine. For me, a higher protein breakfast can keep me satisified all morning. I also have a couple pieces of fruit on my desk at all times for emergencies.
  • onetxjewel
    onetxjewel Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have little time in the morning and used to not eat breakfast until i got to work and then would only eat a banana and yogurt, but i've tried to really focus on eating breakfast before I leave the house to get my metabolism going...i've started eating a cup and a half of cereal with a half a cup of 1% milk...I usually eat half a cup of honey nut cheerios with a full cup of mulit grain cheerios and it fills me up all morning and then i'll eat my yogurt for a snack...to help with time, I eat my cereal as i'm getting my lunch together and make my coffee...on days that i'm running late i'll just put the dry cereal in a ziploc and snack on it all morning long without milk!
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are very low calories/low fat - can you make an omlet using 1 whole egg and add a couple of extra egg whites with some chopped peppers, onions, ham, bit of shredded cheese, etc.?? Top it off with a bit of salsa. I'm not a huge egg fan but you can buy those cartons of scrambled eggs and just put them in the pan to make an omlet - I think they're pretty low cal/fat too.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    My friend gave me a great recipe for an easy breakfast sandwich, I make them and wrap them in foil and eat them at work.

2 egg whites cooked as you like
    1 slice of canadian bacon (the serving size is 3, but having only one saves calories)
    1 slice of low fat cheese
    put it on one of those Arnold Sandwich thins, I like the honey wheat, with a little bit of light mayonnaise.
    I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's less than 300 calories which is way low compared to a store bought version.

Add me as a friend also, I have a post on my blog for a chai tea protein shake and I am going to post a recipe when I get a chance for something I made over the weekend. It was called a Pear Walnut Pancake. The recipe came from Prevention Magazine's Flat Belly Family Cookbook...just around 400 calories for a serving, but as yummy as coffee cake!
  • sclosson
    sclosson Posts: 120
    Options
    I usually throw an egg in the non-stick pan and a piece of whole wheat bread in the toaster. It is really quick and I usually put the egg on the toast and eat it while getting ready to leave the house. If I think about it the night before, I will chop a mushroom and a bit of onion up and save it to throw in the egg. (I will scramble it then)
  • Dipmom
    Dipmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Omelettes reheat pretty well too. They can be made the night before as well.
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    I usually make scrambled eggs using egg beaters and reduced fat shredded cheddar, sometimes with veggies, sometimes add pieces of a veggie sausage patty or veggie burger . I make this the night before. In the morning I throw it in the microwave while a light english muffin is toasting and then make it into a breakfast sandwich.
  • redbirdsings
    redbirdsings Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Definetly liquid egg whites. i bought one of those small one egg skillets. i pour in a bit and go brush my hair teeth etc...thin flip. i add 1/2 slice low fat pepperjack cheese for some spice and a whole wheat english muffin and you've got subway's breakfast beat.
    All together it is only like 140 calories and yummy.

sadly my skillet has not been used lately and my scale shows it, but when i did it everyday it worked.

I have also discovered 1...i HATE turkey bacon 2. I LOVE center cut bacon (in moderation) it is lower in fat &sodium but still bacon

unless your a vegetarian...what's not to love about real bacon :)
  • 3kidsin3years
    3kidsin3years Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I just eat a couple of hard boiled eggs, a glass of OJ, and either a piece of fruit or toast if I still want something else. I'm with a lot of the other people, if you can eat a high protein breakfast, you'll feel full longer. Good luck!
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I make breakfast burritos on the weekend. They are easy to microwave & eat (even while driving). I use 1 package of ground sausage (cooked & drained), 1 dozen eggs (cooked mixed with sausage after it has drained) and 12 flour tortillas. Wrap in plastic wrap and heat for 30 seconds when ready to eat. It comes to about 282 calories for approx 1 oz sausage, 1 egg and the tortilla. Both my kids and my boyfriend will grab them for a quick breakfast.
  • fightingdissonance
    Options
    I've been making breakfast with plain yogurt and a bit of honey drizzled on top, wheat bran, wheat germ (both give you tons of fiber and wheat germ has a lot of protein), and frozen or chopped up berries on top. It takes a minute to make but if you are eating breakfast at work, it could be put into a tupperware container or something and would be just as good portable (as long as it doesn't get all shaken up lol). Egg whites with cayenne pepper, whole grain toast with peanut butter and a piece of fruit are also a well rounded breakfast and it will leave you feeling full for so long.
  • newcomba
    Options
    I usually throw an egg in the non-stick pan and a piece of whole wheat bread in the toaster. It is really quick and I usually put the egg on the toast and eat it while getting ready to leave the house. If I think about it the night before, I will chop a mushroom and a bit of onion up and save it to throw in the egg. (I will scramble it then)

I do the same thing if I don't have time to actually sit down and eat, although here lately I've been trying to get up earlier so I can sit and eat breakfast with my daughter.

I was also told to buy an egg poacher...you can cook an egg in the microwave with those, maybe sprinkle a little bacon in with it while it's cooking, and pop some bread in the toaster...you have breakfast in a couple minutes, and you can take it out the door with you. I think the eggs come out like the ones on the McDonald's Egg McMuffin sandwhich.
  • bayba792
    bayba792 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I also make a breakfast sandwich for my husband as he's walking out the door for work it is :

3- 4 egg whites
    2 oz lean turkey ham
    2 slices of low calorie whole wheat bread

I just cook the egg whites fold them put on bread and then warm up the ham in the same pan and throw it all together. you can add mayo, ketchup, salsa or get creative! Fast easy breakfast that you can eat on your way to work.
  • KWSR16
    KWSR16 Posts: 91
    Options
    During the week I have a cup of cereal every morning with a half cup of milk. And I always bring a snack to work to eat right in between. But on the weekends we try to change it up so we would have something like an egg with whole wheat toast. My mom makes these totally awesome wraps that we sometimes have during the week though. They have egg beaters, peppers, 1 pork sausage link cut up into peices, low fat shredded cheese and potatoes. Now...it has more calories that the regular breakfast of cereal and milk...but it also keeps you full through lunch and that means no snacks in between. :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My aunt used to halfway cook some scrambled eggs the night before and then microwave them once she got to work. She said they were never overcooked and were just the same as if she'd cooked them fully on the stove. If you have a toaster at work you can bring some whole grain bread and have eggs and toast.
  • carolyne2
    Options
    How about a nice fruit salad toped with 0% Greek yogurt and acouple of rye crisp breads.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Real eggs, whatever way you like them. I bring my scramble or omelet to work if I run late. They taste fine re-warmed.
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for something simple, quick and that packs a ton of fiber, half your RDA vitamins, protein AND only 100 calories, check out VitaTops. I'm in love with them. 45 seconds from frozen to perfect in the microwave and I eat it in the car on the way in to work. I don't even get hungry until lunchtime. If you have more time, eggs and stuff is just as good (if not better) but when you're in a pinch, these are perfect. And there are so many flavors I have a tough time picking which kind to have each morning.
  • nomoremuffintopness
    Options
    If you're looking for something simple, quick and that packs a ton of fiber, half your RDA vitamins, protein AND only 100 calories, check out VitaTops. I'm in love with them. 45 seconds from frozen to perfect in the microwave and I eat it in the car on the way in to work. I don't even get hungry until lunchtime. If you have more time, eggs and stuff is just as good (if not better) but when you're in a pinch, these are perfect. And there are so many flavors I have a tough time picking which kind to have each morning.

I have yet to see these in the store. Where do I find them?