Birth Control and losing weight?

Options
Which birth control do you ladies use that is pretty good at not making you gain weight and good at letting you loose what you have?

Replies

• Jacquelyn913
    Jacquelyn913 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Mirena, so far so good.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I was 112lbs when I went on the pill and I am now 134lbs !!!! So in 3 years I have put on a stone and a half.

I know my lifestyle has not been healthy and I am not blaming the pill totally but I am convinced my oral contrceptive hasn't helped so I am now looking for alternatives...
  • littlelionesslove
    Options
    Yaz never made me gain any weight at all. I like it.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I am on Yaz with no side effects...
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I've used the Fat Flush Plan by Ann Louise Gittleman for weight loss. Her book explains why you gain weight on birth control. You also have a harder time increasing muscle mass due to the estrogen dominance of birth control pills. IMO - you are bound to gain weight on them because of the hormone issues associated with it.
  • lclarius
    lclarius Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use mircette - its only the one i have tried that i didnt gain a lot of weight and become a crazy pants. I need something with extemely low hormones otherwise, i have tried Ortho and Yaz, gained weight on both and became a little(re: alot) emotional. I would def talk to your doctor about your concerns and you should work together to find the best solution for you. Like MLB said because of the introduction to hormones you will probably gain a few lbs on whatever you decide to take but there is a big difference then a couple lbs in the first few months and 10lbs. No matter what you choose try to keep your exercise and food intake in check, this way you can really monitor your body's reaction.
  • cromalino
    cromalino Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also On Yaz, never gained weight with it either
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    I'm starting to believe that taking a BC does not make you gain weight.

I went from a low dose to a high dose BC pill since I'm no longer breastfeeding. - I'm back on Ortho

I haven't gained weight at all. Years ago I use to blame it on BC but I wasn't exercising and watching what I put into my mouth like I am now.

I think as long as you workout and don't over indulge than there shouldn't be a weight gain.
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I was just recently prescribed Nuva-Ring and I'm still losing.

I hadn't been on BC in over 10 years and was really concerned about gaining weight since I've been working so hard to lose. My doctor told me that all BC will increase your appetite to some degree no matter what their commercials claim. She told me that the reason most women gain weight while taking BC is because they don't have healthy eating habits to begin with. She felt I would not have any problems continuing to lose weight since I had already adjusted my eating habits and made lifestyle changes. So far so good! Best of luck to you no matter what you choose!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm using twins as birth control....and weight lifting.... mostly kidding. Mostly.

I didn't have trouble with weight maintenance on low dose bc pills, but did get pregnant.... I don't think the IUD affected my weight at all, though other factors did (stress eating around deaths and discord....).

It's easier to lose weight when I'm happy, I've found, and it's easier to be happy when I'm exercising regularly.... and I felt crazy when on the pill, so not as happy....
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

I went from a low dose to a high dose BC pill since I'm no longer breastfeeding. - I'm back on Ortho

I haven't gained weight at all. Years ago I use to blame it on BC but I wasn't exercising and watching what I put into my mouth like I am now.

I think as long as you workout and don't over indulge than there shouldn't be a weight gain.
    While I do agree that BC is not the reason women gain weight, I do find that I have a slight weight gain the third week in my cycle. I never noticed this before I started taking BC because my cycle wasn't regular. When I first started gaining weight, I thought it might be because of the BC but now I'm fully aware it is NOT!
  • nomoremuffintopness
    Options
    I take ortho tricyclen LO and I love it. Its the only pill that I havent gained weight on
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

Oh, I SO AGREE!!!!
  • tater8589
    Options
    I have to disagree with the statement that BC doesn't cause weight gain. It changes the hormones in our body which can cause weight gain or loss. We have to find what works best for our body, since everyone is different. That being said-- I am currently on the Nuva Ring and weight gain/loss has (to my knowlede) not been effected either way, however I am having some of the other more problematic side effects and will most likely change soon. I used YAZ in the past and didn't have weight issues with it, I stopped using it after a miscariage and was put on Lisserna (which had bad side effects for me) The Depo shot caused extreem weight gain for me (40lbs) which melted off when I stopped using it. I have also used the patch and had absolutley NO problems with it, until I developed an alergy to adhesive.

If anyone is curious about Mirena, I would suggest Searching (on MFP) for other topics under it. I have read some where other ladies are having a multitude of issues with it. Not to scare anyone, but its good to be informed before making that choice.
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    my post I was refering to birth control pills.

Now the depo shot I believe is a different story. Never tried the shot because I heard along with massive weight gain, when you get off of it, it becomes even harder to get pregnant especially if you been using it for a long time.