So what happens when I reach my weight loss target?

Options
Well I've been thinking about this for the last few weeks as I am 3 and a bit lbs from reaching my goal weight. My daily calories for a loss are 1200 plus and average of 180 - 270 for exercise so 1380-1470 as an average daily total. When I finally get to my goal weight and so maintain rather than lose I have worked out that I will need to eat around 1400 but I still want to keep up with my exercises so on average 1580-1670 calories per day. My problem is that some days I dont even reach my 1380-1470 goal so I have no idea how I am going eat enough calories to maintain my weight as I eat regular meals, make sensible choices (most of the time) and still have calories left over. I know the simple answer is probably eat more but if I'm not hungry then what? Also, I can't imagine not using this site and tracking my food but I don't want to end up being obsessive about it especially once I have reached my goals.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar or anxious about this?

Replies

• dbcja
    dbcja Posts: 54
    Options
    Firstly you celebrate! YAY! I am so far from reaching my goal right now that I cant even imagine it.

Then I would see how it goes. Id carry on using the site for a while until you figure out what works for you. You will probably find that once you are not so concious of what you are eating you will have days when you go waaaay over your calories and then days like you are having with a few to spare so it will even out over the week. :o)

Exciting times for you!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat more to ingest more calories, just make different food choices. As a snack have nuts, seeds, and/or dehydrated fruit. Add olive oil to soups and sauces. Eat full fat or higher fat versions of food that you eat such as milk, yogurt, salad dressings, etc. Add avocado to salads and sandwiches. Replace one glass of water with a glass of juice. Incorporating the above would have you eat the same amount of food, so you wont be any more full, while providing you with the additional calories needed.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time when I first started here. I was in starvation mode and had to start eating 2-3 times what I was used to. I just added a little more food to each meal and tried to eat some snacks throughout the day.

Once you reach your goal weight and switch to maintenance calories you'll need some time to adjust to eating more. But, it looks like it's only about 200 calories more than what you're used to, it shouldn't be that hard. Just one snack of an apple and peanut butter or some veggies and ranch dip can fill those calories easily.