changing from atkins-help

Options
I am coming off Atkins for a while. I lost 50 lbs in the last year but have been stalled at 150 for several months. I am trying to go to something else but I don't know what will happen when I put carbs back in.
I am just trying to stay on low glycemic index foods and lower calories/fat.
Any ideas?
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• deciedee
    deciedee Posts: 50
    Options
    I am coming off Atkins for a while. I lost 50 lbs in the last year but have been stalled at 150 for several months. I am trying to go to something else but I don't know what will happen when I put carbs back in.
    I am just trying to stay on low glycemic index foods and lower calories/fat.
    Any ideas?
    :flowerforyou:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    since Atkins is so drastic, maybe trying South Beach type diet as it is a very slow way to add "good carbs" back into your diet. You start adding some fruits and vegetables and can start cutting high end fatty foods with lower fat foods. I do South Beach and after the first week, it gets really easy to stick to for me. Just be careful with your body.
  • deciedee
    Options
    Thanks for your input. That is about what I thought. I have been on induction basically for the whole time and it has been easy most of the time, but I am getting so tired of the same stuff and I never really put back any fruits, grains, etc. so the change will be good. I haven't found the calorie reduction any more strenuous than the strict carb reduction. I just have to watch the sugars as I am a point into diabetes range and take metformin to keep in check.
    thanks again for the feed back.
    any place I can get a south beach menu for free?
  • apple321grape1
    Options
    I am not sure what south beach is, I think you can go something else slowly but do exercise and have enough vegetable as balance. You can see some of my diet tips at my blog
    http://healthydiet-tips.blogspot.com
  • insearchofskinny
    Options
    I follow my own low carb diet and have for a few years now. I try to stay at about 20 carbs per day when I'm trying to drop more weight... but I guess I've never considered coming off a low carb diet. my daughter is doing the same and we have both just changed our way of eating permanantly. we add carbs or sutract based on if we are trying to lose more pounds or if we've gained due to a holiday or a vacation or merely a free-for-all event that we both fall into from time to time
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I used to do Atkins a long time ago, it didn't work for me in the long run. I think if you stay in your calorie limit and eat no refined carbs ( like white bread, cakes, cookies, sugary things) you will still loose weight and it will be easier to stick to it. For some reason I really like whole wheat wraps, they are very versitile, portable and you can make them in advance. I will eat whole wheat cereal in the morning with a light yogurt, a wrap fur lunch with a salad , 1/2 plate full of veggies , 1/4 full of whole wheat pasta or brown rice and 1/4 plate full of lean protein. It really is working well for me.
    I hope that helps ... I wish you success:flowerforyou:
  • bayaderka
    bayaderka Posts: 53
    Options
    If you are plateau-ing on the scale, you should try a 4 day cleanse which kick-starts further weight loss. This is my 2nd time doing it and it gives great immediate yet long term results.
    Please contact me if you are interested, I have already given out the plan to a few members already.
  • kellbell
    kellbell Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    since Atkins is so drastic, maybe trying South Beach type diet as it is a very slow way to add "good carbs" back into your diet. You start adding some fruits and vegetables and can start cutting high end fatty foods with lower fat foods. I do South Beach and after the first week, it gets really easy to stick to for me. Just be careful with your body.

I totally agree. South Beach is a great way to eat. The best part is that you begin adding in healthy carbs to your diet which you really need.

Good Luck!
    Kell
  • deciedee
    Options
    Thanks for all your input. It is helpful and encouraging. I have been on 20 carbs or less basically for a year, no fruits, lots of vegies, meat, no milk, but heavy cream (no carbs), real butter (not carbs), no bread, no sugar, no corn, (except popcorn every few weeks) or potatoes, except the occasional meal at family/special events. This is high calories/high fat as it is with Atkins, and I do believe in the theory. It works. It is not bad, I can live within that for the most part but I am at a stalemate, weight loss wise, and I worry about no fruit, etc.
    I am now cutting calories and fat, adding in only low GI carbs and so far I feel no ill effects. I really ham having a hard time eating enough calories to hit 1200. I have stayed under 900. Not really by intention, just works out that way for what I want to eat.
    I am working in more snacks just so I can keep it at a reasonable level. I dont' like fancy foods, apricot chicken dip, or any of those things. I like to eat meat and vegies and it is great to eat a little wheat bread or Special K Protien cereal.
    I actually eat every 2 hours to fit it all into my day, and keep my blood sugar in check.
    So I guess so far I am doing this ok.
    If I gain over 5 lbs that stays over a period of time, I am DEFINITLY BACK TO ATKINS though.
    We will see. Good luck to all and thanks

70788.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter