question ? how come ?

staceyb_2003
staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
How come sometimes i see people who have burnt like 1000 + calories a day , what benefit is that for you if the amount of exercise you does not help weight loss ( someone told me on here that no matter how much exercise you do as long as your still getting your net thats what aids weightloss) ? i know that obviously it has health benefits but does doing that much tone you up quicker etc, i know most people eat their cals back so wont that exercise be for nothing or at least most of it ? Just a bit confused guys sorry ... or maybe i've confused myself ?

Replies

• shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    ok diet helps you with weight loss and exercise helps to tone you up. yes I burn 1000+calories but that doesnt mean I lose crazy weight. I run intervals and that helps with my lower body, I do jillian because I like the circuits and helps me tone my arms, and waist. Its not no ones fault that watever they do burns a lot of calories, I never do it with the expectations of losing massive weight, its just not possible. a good diet helps with that, get it!
  • nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    There is quite a few questions in there, but I'll see if I can help. I have my MS in Exercise Science, so I know a little on the subject :) First, you have to realize that people who are just starting to exercise actually burn more calories during the same amount of exercise then people who are avid exercisers. The reason being our bodies aren't as efficient at using calories as those who use them more often and harder. So when I exercise, I burn more calories than my fitter healthier husband -this fact actualy keeps me pretty sane when I see him eating cake, I know that he'll have a harder time burning it off than I would.
    Now that being said, the reason people are working out so hard and then eating their calories back is because when these people are working out, they're building muscle. Muscle burns more calories even at rest than fat does. Fat burns NOTHING at rest, or even at action. Muscle on the other hand is constantly burning calories for energy to perfom. This is also why resistance training is a MUST for those looking to lose weight. After these intense, or not so intense, work out sessions, the body still needs fuel to function. We use calories to breathe, think, everything, so we do have to have a base amount of calories. This base amount is different for everyone, which is why on this program everyone has a different caloric guideline. When you follow that caloric guidline and exercise, yes, you are more likely to look better and feel better faster. I hope this helped :)
This discussion has been closed.