Down 50, 20 to go

deciedee
deciedee Posts: 50
edited September 18 in Introduce Yourself
Hi, I am new and have been dieting for about a year on my own. I was diagnosed with Diabetes 2 last year. Only a couple of points in, but enough to put me on medication and change my lifestyle.
I went on Atkins and am down 50 lbs. I am stalled here with about 20 to go.
I am changing to lower cal/lower fat and low glycemic foods to keep a check on the carbs with out being so strict.
any body have any ideas on the best way to change over, any free menu sites (with reasonable foods, not all that weird stuff that nobody really wants to eat! lol).
I just got married to my high school sweetheart after ...many ...years and was in a size 12 and loved it.
Hope to have good luck here and finish this thing out at 125 to 130 by Christmas.
DCD

Replies

• deciedee
    Hi, I am new and have been dieting for about a year on my own. I was diagnosed with Diabetes 2 last year. Only a couple of points in, but enough to put me on medication and change my lifestyle.
    I went on Atkins and am down 50 lbs. I am stalled here with about 20 to go.
    I am changing to lower cal/lower fat and low glycemic foods to keep a check on the carbs with out being so strict.
    any body have any ideas on the best way to change over, any free menu sites (with reasonable foods, not all that weird stuff that nobody really wants to eat! lol).
    I just got married to my high school sweetheart after ...many ...years and was in a size 12 and loved it.
    Hope to have good luck here and finish this thing out at 125 to 130 by Christmas.
    DCD
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    you go dee! awesome job on that first 50 - your next twenty will be cake! I don't know too much about Diabetes, but i'm sure it makes it that much more difficult so i really need to give you a round of applause on this weight loss!

you've come to a great place - everyone is so encouraging even if you're just trying to maintain your weight.

i'm a big fan of www.recipizaar.com which has a ton of great recipes where you can sort and filter the recipes by nutrition (which is great if you are on a strict diet with your diabetes)

also, we have a lot of hungry girl fans here! (www.hungry-girl.com) become friends with Healthier_Me - she always has the low down on hungry girl's newest recipes!

welcome to the site - we're glad you're here.
  • Mary24
    Mary24 Posts: 398
    Wow thats great, I wish i was in your shoes.
  • Kimlane70
    Kimlane70 Posts: 117
    please be very, very careful about changing your eating style. you have to slowly ween yourself off of atkins, depending on where you are in the atkins diet. do not come off of it all at once. the first week if i were you i would add one low GI meal a day. then the next week add one more meal or snack. i only say this to try to help you not go through what i went through after i did atkins. I gained back all my weight plus 40 pounds. it was so terrible. i did not know you just cant come off that type of eating. and now it seems as if i am having to fight twice as hard to get this weight off. if you were doing high carb diet then it will be harder to come off of it. your body will be in starvation mode and will store every single bite as fat. just be careful. i'll be glad to talk more about it whenever. kim g
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Type 2 diagnosed over 5 years ago--

my advice--make sure you exercise, exercise, exercise!

I've lost weight before (always gained it back) but never got into exercising too much. Now, I do almost every day and my blood levels have finally come down after 5 years. I can even eat fruit again now and mashed potatoes! Everything in moderation of course. But I recently even discovered homemade fruit smoothies and I'm in heaven!

Keep the carbs low--I try for no more than 130-140 a day still, and exercise.

If you like pasta, try Dream Field. I buy it in my local store. Tastes like "real" pasta but has something about it that makes most of the carbs insoluable to your body, so it doesn't spike your sugar. I love it!

Watch sodium intake, too, as you, like all diabetics, are prone to develop heart disease and high blood pressure. Get that in check now and you shouldn't have problems later!

Also, check out any diabetic forums you can find. The first year I was diagnosed, I learned a lot from forums

Know that diabetes is a very "personal" disease-meaning each person reacts differently. What I might be able to eat with no impact on levels, might send you sky high.

Also, face the fact that you are now responsible for your health. The doctor can only do so much. Rather you beat diabetes or it beats you is now in your hands!
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Congrats and please do be careful - after reading Kim's post I probably talk with a doc to make sure you make the switch properly. Good LUCK!!

And Welcome:flowerforyou:
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Welcome. I read all the posts and you really got some good advice. Keep it real and be careful. You can do it.

:flowerforyou: Kathy

44118.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • fynendandi1
    fynendandi1 Posts: 122 Member
    I was on the adkins diet two years ago and lost 40 pounds, I stopped and went back to eating all the junk and fast food living off of cokes and did not gain any of it back. Two years later I am back on it and have lost 16 pounds in a little less than 6 weeks. However, I too would talk to your doctor or just read the adkins book. It has the maintenace phase where you can eat potatoes and pasta and all the things you are wanting to add back in.
  • deciedee
    Thank you ALL so much for your replies. I am shocked at how many people have responded. I am going slowly. Well, not totally true, I did go overboard the first day or so, but not terribly. I THINK I am not going over very much and am only cutting down the fat and cutting down the calories and just slowly adding in more carbs.
    I was staying, as I said in the under 35 carb range most of the time, except for Sundays when I went to my mother in laws house and I did eat a few things off the diet then, but not in a large quantity. (which could be my reason that the diet stalled).
    It is scary to think I could gain it back but if I gain over 5 lbs. I will stop and go back to Atkins and try again.
    Does anybody know where I can find the South Beach Diet in detail for free?
    I was on Anne Collins website but my membership has run out. she has All the diets on there in detail with meal plans and grocery lists. I will have to go back and re join if I can't find one like it.

But thank you so much for your tips and hints. Very helpful and encouraging.
    deciedee
  • deciedee
    I really like the tickers, makes you feel you progress. It showed me that is is actually more than I thought, a little. YAY!
    so I have to put mine here! thanks
    70788.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
This discussion has been closed.