Logging Salad

Options
When you make a salad at home, do you log and weigh everything you put into it? Not counting the higher calorie parts such as dressing, cheese, etc. For example, do measure how much lettuce, cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, all the low calorie veggie/fruit parts of the salad and log each separately?

Replies

• 35again
    35again Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thats what I usually do.
  • Aperyan83
    Aperyan83 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I certainly do! I measure by cups (1/4, 1/2etc..)

I measure EVERYTHING

It makes it easier when you actaully make a salada and then add it to your recipes i think it is... hmmm

:heart:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    yep just add it to your recipes section and then it makes it easier to log
  • katikati
    Options
    I don't generally measure or enter the salad stuff unless i want to enter the nutrients, I figure they are all about the good stuff to eat!
  • ScottyLikesCake
    ScottyLikesCake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    There is an entry for "generic green salad" and I use this for lettuce, cucumber, tomato and then add anything else seperately. Otherwise making entries can take ages!
  • pocketsam
    Options
    I tend to weigh all of it, unless its tomatoes because you can add how many you had rather than weight. If you like the same salad - make it a 'recipe' but I tend to switch mine around. I also weigh cheese, a small 30g serving of grated cheese is more than you would expect. :)
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've created a meal with the usual salad ingredients that I get from the salad bar, and I'll add and subtract things from it that are out of the ordinary. I eyeball quantities tho, so it's probably not terribly accurate, but since most of the ingredients are pretty low in calories, it's good enough.
  • cmyrick75
    cmyrick75 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I did that and then grouped it together under the recipe so its easier to add each time because I eat a salad every day.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I log absolutely everything. If Im eating the same core ingredients a few times a week, i'll save it under meals that way it's a lot quicker.
  • onefasternurse
    onefasternurse Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I weigh all my foods. I store a recipe of all my routine foods so its much quicker. I always think the scales are much more accurate than using measuring cups for solid foods.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I measure each ingredient as I put it in. My salads aren't always the same so I have to do it this way.
  • ybba12490
    Options
    Yes, I log everything separately!
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Yes I measure everything!! Once you put it in you can always save it to make it easier the next time!
  • dmmsquared
    Options
    I've created a meal with the usual salad ingredients that I get from the salad bar, and I'll add and subtract things from it that are out of the ordinary. I eyeball quantities tho, so it's probably not terribly accurate, but since most of the ingredients are pretty low in calories, it's good enough.

That's how I do it too... The meal option lets me modify if I do something different with my salad.

You need to track everything, since everything has calories.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    When you make a salad at home, do you log and weigh everything you put into it? Not counting the higher calorie parts such as dressing, cheese, etc. For example, do measure how much lettuce, cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, all the low calorie veggie/fruit parts of the salad and log each separately?

I weigh them all. It's just too hard to guess when putting chopped veggies in a measuring cup. Most of the database have 100g as a choice. So it makes it really easy.

When I made my first one at home - going by weight. I really screwed up because I ended up with a huge huge salad that I couldn't finish. I now know more about how much of each veggie I need.
  • Fertilegrounds5
    Options
    Yes! I do. I use cups because I do not have a food scale yet
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I used to log everything. I've been at this a while and have decided I don't feel like I need to log veggies. I don't feel like it has hindered my success.
  • katyrose221
    katyrose221 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you go this way, after the first time add it to your "meals" so you don't have to add the ingrediants one at a time every time. Then you can make small adjustments, like if you had more lettuce or added cheese.