changing calorie intake

Options
hi,
I've heard a few people on here talking about lowering calorie intake as you lose weight. I've currently lost 10lbs & although I'm not thinking of lowering it yet I don't know if I will need to in the future.
My question is this: as I started out on 1200 calories is it safe to lower it any more? I've always been told that this was the minimum intake you should have, But if I don't will it stop me losing weight?

Many thanks to anyone who has answers!

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    MFP won't lower your caloric intake below 1200 calories. For most people, going below that doesn't give your body enough nutrition.
  • pinktreehands
    Options
    You shouldn't go below 1200 calories. It will likely cause your weightloss to plateau. It robs your body of so much nutrition that your body actually gets "scared" and goes into starvation mode (i.e. STORE FAT FOR SURVIVAL MODE!). If you have plateaued at 1200 cals, add a little cardio... And maybe even have a cheat day. One day of (a little) extra calorie intake can give you a metabolism boost!
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I just raised mine to 1300. I have 80 lbs to loose and at 1200 I will have no where to go when I get closer to my goal weight. I am even thinking about going to 1400. I go to another calorie count support group and most of the women there started out around 1500 and lowered it as they got closer to goal weight because your body needs less to function. Never go below 1200.