Pregnancy and MFP

Mkserpa
Mkserpa Posts: 136
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
I have heard all over the place many different answers to this particular subject. I just want to see if anyone on here knows anything that is credible they can share!

I have been dieting for quite a while - 1200-1600 calories a day for the last year or so. I stopped losing weight the last 2 months so I picked up exercising the beginning of January. I work out about 2 hours a day for about 4-5 days a week. I start my routine with 10 minutes of walking with the treadmill set to 3.7. Then I do weights, I usually do 15-20 reps 4 times per weight set and the amount of weight isn't anything unbearable, just enough to get my muscles working hard and maintain a decent heart rate. Then I do my run/jog which is usually 2 minute intervals for 25 minutes (run for 2 mins, walk 1 min, run 2 mins, walk 1 min, etc for 25 minutes) My heart rate usually hovers between 175-190 according to the machine.

So my overall question is this: Is it safe to continue while pregnant? I just found out I am very early in pregnancy (4 weeks) and I want to be safe. I've only been doing these types of exercises since the beginning of January. Prior to that I was meeting with a personal trainer once a week since September '10.

I know it's not safe to diet while pregnant, so I consume the 1600 calories necessary to just maintain my weight, I'm not far enough along yet to need the additional 300 calories pregnant women need (that's usually 2nd trimester) But what about exercise? I don't have my first appointment with my doctor for another month so I can't ask her this stuff yet.

Replies

• You can always call and speak to the doctor's office. They get this question all the time! The big thing about exercise is to keep your heart rate at a safe level. If you can talk comfortably and aren't out of breath, you should be good. (But don't take my word for it, go call the doctor's office!)

Congrats!!
  • pellenga
    pellenga Posts: 66 Member
    As long as your not high risk - exercise is prefectly fine. In fact....they say the more you walk the easier delivery will be.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    I have always heard it is safe to continue exercise you are already doing and what you are doing does not sound excessive to me. I would eat your maintenance calories plus some exercise calories. Rest when you need to... and eat when your body tells you to also! For me, getting *too* hungry during pregnancy was never a good thing!

I agree with others that it shouldnt be a problem to call and ask the doctor. I wish they would just talk to everyone when they first call and tell them all of this stuff anyway!
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    I agree with the other posters - you should talk to your doctor. But as far as exercise goes, I've always heard that you should exercise so that your body is strong for labor and delivery.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    You should be able to continue any exercising that your body was used to before you got pregnant. As long as you can talk while exercising you aren't working yourself too hard. You should be eating maintenance calories plus the calories you burn from exercising. Also make sure you're getting at least 8 glasses of water per day.

And make sure you log all the food you eat.
This discussion has been closed.