Knee Popping and Pain

daniellevietti
daniellevietti Posts: 28 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi All -

I've been doing cardio (elliptical, tread mill and stair stepper) plus weight lifting for almost a year now, nothing new. Last week at the gym my right knee started feeling weird and popping a lot. I've heard this is normal but now my right and left knee are popping and in slight pain (nothing too bad but very uncomfortable). They don't look swollen and icing does dull the pain but I can't do my normal cardio or work out my legs..I've been icing and taking Ibuprofen (in case there's internal swelling I can't see).

Advice??

Replies

• bump...ive been having this issure for a yr now in my ankles,knees,and hips
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    If it keeps up, I would recommend going to see someone about it. I had something similar a few months back. When I went to the Dr and described it, he said it was most likely a miniscus tear but when I had an ultrasound, they discovered a large cyst that needed to be removed.
  • mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    I would get your knee checked out by a doc. I had this issue, and it turned out that my knees were crooked, so doing repetative motions was making the kneecap grind against the bone. I can not do things like the eliptical now because of it, as the repetative motion makes it worse.

Good luck!
  • tsimehc2000
    tsimehc2000 Posts: 80 Member
    My shoulder pops, without pain, when I lift weights over my head. I talked with a Rheumatologist (joint doctor) about it and he looked at an MRI I had done previously. He said that it appeared to be a form of arthritis and that I shouldn't worry too much about it. He recommended that I no longer do that exercise, but he didn't that I should stop it all together.

I'm not lifting that weight as much as I used to as well as I'm not lifting as much weight. However, I know that I am taking a risk whiile doing it.

You may want to talk with a doctor about it, because you never know what is happening.
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    I was having some slight knee issues, my right one specifically but sometimes my left. It would feel like it was popping and even though it didn't look swollen it definitely hurt. I bought a knee brace from target for $22 and my knee no longer hurts while I'm working out. If it starts hurting again I will go to the doctor but the knee brace has really helped me out a ton!! I can now do Zumba for an hour EASILY with absolutely no pain when before when I wasn't wearing it I had to restrict my moves so I didn't hurt my knee more and couldn't easily bend it.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    agreed go to the dr. I know we all think it'll be fine, I'll get over it etc, but it's so worth getting checked out. Just look at it this way, if you don't you'll lose more time, be in more pain etc.

Good luck and let us know what your doctor said. :)
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    I'm totally not a doctor, but my experience with knee popping was that when I started riding the stationary bike, my knees would build pressure and pop like no one's business, and it hurt. When I stopped running on the treadmill, all the pain in my knees went away and I can bike without my knees popping (and climb the stairs, and anything else). So now I do the elliptical and bike instead of running, because it was doing a number on me.
  • be careful!! youre young, take care of those knees !! i feel ya! same issues here. my prob is my feet are flat and so my ankles, and knees, and hips dont "track" normally! i need to were orthotics (inserts) to correct my step. see a doc! your body will thank u. i waited and suffer now for it. :0/
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    If you're just doing repetative exercises, you may not being working out all the muscles and tendons that make the knee move. Believe it or not you need to work out the tendons and muscles that help with lateral movement. If something is weaker the popping could be from something rubbing the wrong spot or slipping in and out of place depending on what you're doing. Or maybe even some of your knee might be too tight. Are you stretching well?

I'm not a Dr lol but I had a dislocated knee cap on my left a while back and a complete ACL tear on my right last year ($15,000 + worth of physical therapy last year!) So that's where my experience comes from. My physical therapist was never concerned when I told him about popping. However, I was under a drs care and had a diagnosis. It can't hurt to get you checked out!
This discussion has been closed.