a question about squats

MrsWendyQ
MrsWendyQ Posts: 125 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I was told by my coach that I needed to do 3 things each week to add to what I was already doing. Basically, do these 3 things so much that they now become part of my daily routine, or habit. Anyhow, one of the things I do is squats. I can't seem to figure out how to put them in as exercise. I don't do them with any weights. I do them because they're excellent to help strengthen my lower back and, well, good exercise. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    I bounce when I'm getting ready to sit down (five squats ending in sitting), when I'm shampooing my hair (though, for safety, I widen my stance so my feet are against the tub sides), and when I'm brushing my teeth...

That wasn't so much about form as about when I fit them in. I'm aiming for a straight torso, so don't stick my po out very far and therefore don't sink very far down, though farther now as I'm getting stronger.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    ughhh squats my evil nemesis we meet again....

Put a chair in front of the tv and during commercials do them. :) Don't let your butt stay on the chair do the squats.

Have fun
  • kerrikdavis
    kerrikdavis Posts: 6 Member
    You could enter it as circuit training, under cardio, to get a fairly accurate calorie burn. Time yourself and then enter circuit training for that amount of time.

Hope that helps!
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    are speaking of adding them in for calories burned? if so try strength training. weights or no weights, you are working those muscles and making them stronger. I did squats on my tippy toes plie' squats, squats with a ball behind me against the wall, frog squats, and abduction squats. whew! is my hiney sore! lol
  • spunky_spit_fire
    spunky_spit_fire Posts: 103 Member
    I list them under Strength Training
  • KcFitCoach
    KcFitCoach Posts: 135 Member
    I heart squats...they have given my toosh quite the lift =). I love doing squat tibatas (30 seconds of squats, then 10 seconds break, then repeat this sequence 7 more times). Also love doing dumbell thrusters - hold arms bent 90 degrees, hold dumbells in each hand, palms facing forward, squat deep, then come up and simultaneously push up arms to straighten them completely and repeat. I like doing these in tibata style, too (8 sequences of 30 on and 10 second breaks).

I agree - enter as circuit training. Sit deep and get some pace to your repetitions to get and keep the HR up =).
  • MrsWendyQ
    MrsWendyQ Posts: 125 Member
    Thank you all for the help! I may have to try those tibatas...all very useful information!
This discussion has been closed.