cycling and running??

saligator
saligator Posts: 96 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey,

I was talking to a guy briefly who said that he used to be in a running club and said he was told never to cycle if you are a runner. (i am by no means a 'runner'!! longest i have ever done is 7k! training for 10k now.) But anyway he said that it's bad for your muscles. We were on a short taxi journey so I didn't get him to elaborate.

Does anyone know if this is true? My original plan was to do long cycles a couple of times a week. I know swimming woud be a better alternative to cycling as it uses different muscles but there are no pools near me.

Any advice?

Replies

• HayesSanborn
    HayesSanborn Posts: 34 Member
    My advice, would be ignore his advice. :-)
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    I bike, run and swim, and find that my cycling helps my running, which helps my swimming. I've never heard of this being a bad combination. If you want to run and bike, go ahead, and listen to what your body tells you. FYI - I'd been cycling for many years before I started running again, and the running really improved my hill climbing!
  • saligator
    saligator Posts: 96 Member
    thanks guys!! Thought it was a bit weird alright. its now like i'm gonna be professional at either anyway!
  • My husband runs all the time, and actually uses the bike to warm up and cool down. He has never had a problem, and the PT he had seen once had actually suggested it to him not realizing he was already using the bike.
This discussion has been closed.