Giving up the sweet tea!!! Need Help!!

Options
I LOVE sweet tea!!! I need help quitting or even cutting back!! Any suggestions!!!

Replies

• Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Try finding a sweet type of herbal tea that you like? There are a lot of flavors out there that have fruity flavors and already taste sweet before anything is added to them. They aren't as sweet as sweet tea, but they are good in their own right, and I like the variety.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Try Kombucha. I hear it's pretty good.
  • mfcisthatyou
    Options
    i LOVE diet gold peak sweet tea. i used to drink the regular but realized it was full of sugar and calories so i switched to the diet and it tastes just as good - plus 0 calories, fat and sugar.
  • Charrisse
    Options
    I was a sweet tea girl too, and I had to just quit the sugar cold turkey. I went to Splenda, and about 8 months ago I quit that cold turkey. Now I drink iced green tea, plain. I must say, I do feel better since cutting sugar.
  • bjmk19047
    Options
    Oh no!!! Not the sweet tea!!! It's all I drink when I am visiting my parents and my sister! You have my complete sympathy...I don't know if I could give it up!!!
  • suedalton1
    Options
    Snapple Diet Teas rock..........they have a great taste. The peach is my favorite. I don't care for "Diet " drinks but this one doesn't seem to have that bad aftertaste, very refreshing
  • healthynthin
    Options
    I don't know if you will like it but I make lipton tea from the tea bags and sweeten it up with splenda!
  • Walorie
    Options
    Walmart has a sugar free sweet tea that is sweetened with splenda that is REALLY good...I had to switch from their regular sweet tea with a diagnosis of diabetes. It is in the refrigerator section...try it I think you will be surprised how good it is! :happy: :happy:
  • tnkbest
    tnkbest Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love sweet tea also. I have switched to using Splenda and to be honest, I don't really taste the difference. Good luck!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am really trying to get off of using artificial sweeteners, but I make an exception for sweet tea! What I have noticed is that since I have started sweetening my own tea, restaurant sweet tea is TOO sweet. I have even drank it unsweet on occasion... but my current favorite way to drink tea is with some kind of syrup (raspberry tea or peach tea or something like that when eating out). It is less calories than sweet tea, though not quite as good calorie-wise as no sweetener at all.

I'm all about baby steps so I vote for cutting back on the sugar gradually.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    I feel for you on this one! I kicked sweet tea when I moved out to Washington State because there wasn't any available in restaurants and I decided not to make any at home. Now, unfortunately, McDonald's offers it. So I have it about once a week or so.
  • juliedk
    Options
    good luck ... addictions are a funny thing ...
    just know that any teas w/ artificial sweeteners are HORRIBLE for you ... they break down into very bad chemicles in our bodies and cause health problems ...
    reg sugar, or that large grain sugar (you know, the brown stuff) is better for your body ... count the calories and start cutting back gradually ....
    good luck and keep us posted ...
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I also like the diet snapples....my favorite is the peach tea and the best part is 0 calories
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Only Sweet is a stevia based sweetner that is really good. Better for you than the artificial sweetners. I'm not much of a sweet drink person, but this satisfies when the urge hits.
  • sarahsatx
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions and support!!
  • Kid70
    Kid70 Posts: 36
    Options
    Okay, I know it/s made with artificial sweeteners, but if you are really dying to have it. I have made sweet tea with Davinci Sweetener Sugar Free Syrup. Davinci makes many different flavored syrups (like the kind they use in coffee bars), and they're great to deal with online. They have many different sugar-free flavored syrups. The Sweetener Syrup has no flavor, obviously, but is their version of a sugar-free simple syrup made with Splenda. If you go to the Davinci Gourmet website, they also have a lot of sugar free beverage recipes (non-alcoholic and alcoholic).
  • maricari
    maricari Posts: 133
    Options
    If you can stand any more input...Maybe go 1/2sweet, 1/2unsweet to start. That is a start. My coffe shop makes it this way and Starbucks will also do this. Then later you can transition into all unsweet or add and artificial sweetner or natural lemon as your taste changes. Full sweet tea will become too sweet to stand. Good Luck
  • Ratgirl35
    Ratgirl35 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ahh.. sweet tea, my big addiction (esp. from McDonalds)! With some discipline, I've started to cut it down to once a week. My next step is doing 1/2 sweet, 1/2 unsweet. Baby steps.. I say! :)
  • yellowdog77
    Options
    I cut back from daily to three times a week, one time a week, to 1/2 sweet and 1/2 non. No maybe once a month if that. Funny thing is now it does not taste so great. The said thing is it spikes my need for sugar. Had one today after not having one for a loooonnngg time. Tonight after dinner I ate one to many cookies:( YOU CAN DO IT!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Walmart has a sugar free sweet tea that is sweetened with splenda that is REALLY good...I had to switch from their regular sweet tea with a diagnosis of diabetes. It is in the refrigerator section...try it I think you will be surprised how good it is! :happy: :happy:

I agree! My hubby is a diebetic also & he loved his sweet tea. We saw the diet sweet tea at Walmart & tried it.
    It is Really goood :happy: Doesn't have that sugar free aftertaste at all.