Enter exercise, depression exit stage left

Options
No one's life is a bowl of cherries, obviously. I went through a rough spell and to be honest, the only cure I've found recovering from depression is exercise. Honestly.

Sometimes, not always, it'll take an army to motivate me to even go outside. It's an internal conflict and sometimes the mindgames try to set in. But when I begin, the climax of my workout is all I concentrate on. Once I reach my peak, I gasp for breath and smile because this euphoria starts trickling my senses. The sweat permeates my body and I feel centered again, clarity sets in and logic takes place.
All the burden I've seem to hang on to becomes meaningless and the post shower workout is the grand finale I die for. :tongue:

That being said, I posted this to see if members can empathize. Depression is a horrible thing I don't wish on my worst enemy. Even since I started dedicating time for a healthier life, it lets me maintain that optimism and rejuvenates me with some form of redemption.

Replies

• overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    No one's life is a bowl of cherries, obviously. I went through a rough spell and to be honest, the only cure I've found recovering from depression is exercise. Honestly.

Sometimes, not always, it'll take an army to motivate me to even go outside. It's an internal conflict and sometimes the mindgames try to set in. But when I begin, the climax of my workout is all I concentrate on. Once I reach my peak, I gasp for breath and smile because this euphoria starts trickling my senses. The sweat permeates my body and I feel centered again, clarity sets in and logic takes place.
    All the burden I've seem to hang on to becomes meaningless and the post shower workout is the grand finale I die for. :tongue:

That being said, I posted this to see if members can empathize. Depression is a horrible thing I don't wish on my worst enemy. Even since I started dedicating time for a healthier life, it lets me maintain that optimism and rejuvenates me with some form of redemption.
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    Yes.. I know exactly what you mean! I have had depression since I was a teen..and it's no fun..but one thing that I notice helps the most..working out!! I don't know how or why medically but I just know for me personally it helps! But it is a strange battle..because you need to actually get yourself out of whatever funk you are in to work out in the first place..and that ..some days..is not easy...
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I have two theories:

exercise = endorphins.

also, for me my sleep dramatically improves if I'm exercising properly. Bad sleep patterns lead to a world of hurts, including depression for me.

I still have to drag my *kitten* off the sofa many a day. . .but exercise=magic!:flowerforyou:
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    I am rarely depressed AJ, but I have a friend with severe depression ad did some research on the effect of exercise on depression.
    There is evidence that exercise raises the levels of certain mood-enhancing neurotransmitters in the brain. Exercise may also boost feel-good endorphins, release muscle tension, help you sleep better, and reduce levels of the stress hormone cortisol.
    I do feel so much more positive and energetic when I exercise regulary. I even get the feeling I have to go to the gym again to get that "feel good" feeling. Like an addiction.

From what you said ( and what I know from my friend) I guess the hardest part is getting out there. Getting over the "Uhhh I'd rather stay at home" thing or "I really am not in the mood".

Here is what I do if I am too tired after 12 hrs work but HAVE to go out to get my milage in for the week. I just tell myself "OK, ride a few miles and see how it goes". Or go to the gym and do some easy stuff. That at least gets me out there. If I really do go home again after an easier workout, I can state that at least I tried and that makes me feel better. Usually what happens is that I get over my laziness and
    keep exercising, realizing that it is not at all that bad. Doesn't always work, but quite often.

"Research suggests that it may take at least 30 minutes of exercise a day for at least three to five days a week to significantly improve depression symptoms. But smaller amounts of activity — as little as 10 to 15 minutes at a time — can improve mood in the short term."
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/depression-and-exercise/MH00043

You said "the only cure I've found recovering from depression is exercise." I wouldn't go that far. But exercise is a very very important part of the daily "treatment if somebody is depressed and can significantly reduce the amount of medicine you'd have to take without it.

Good luck my friend
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Depression is something I always have to keep in check. Along with sleep, eating right, and being around people enough, exercise is one of the most important factors. I've been on antidepressants for years and done loads of therapy, but without exercise, even these two methods are sometimes not enough to keep the depression at bay. Whenever I start to feel crummy, I ask myself, have I been exercising regularly? And usually when I feel like that, the answer is no. It's so simple that sometimes I forget how important it is. Isn't it amazing that something so effective is actually free? :tongue:
  • fitladyfawkes
    fitladyfawkes Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hey, wow, you really have a way with words. But i know what you mean. I used to have seasonal depression; I would get depression in the winter time, and usually I was fine in the summer. But this last winter I joined a gym and worked out at least three times a week. The difference was insane!! I had a depression free winter!!
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Depression is something that has haunted me for pretty much all my adult life, It's easier to control now that I understand it, but you are absoutely correct, exersice really does help! My father's family suffers chemical imbalance, and I suffered some abuse from my first boyfriend. I have pretty much dealt with the abuse, am over that, but unfortunatley the chemical imbalance will always be there, unless medicated which I refuse to do since it makes me suicidal, even tried different types. My one cousin and I are the only ones in the family who are effected by the meds this way! I have learned that if I catch the depression early enough in the first phases, it goes away much quicker just by adding a couple of walks into my day, it really helps me to sort out what it is I'm feeling at that moment! It does get better, hang in there!!
  • stschulz
    Options
    This is becoming a very interesting thread for me.
    I have only textbook knowledge and one person who I believe will absolutely open share feelings and thoughts about depression.
    I always feel as if I am not competent to give people advise about that, but then I again I KNOW how much exercise can help.

Thanks for all your contribution guys
  • AugustBaby1973
    Options
    Y'all are so amazing! :happy: I was depressed for a very long time in my last marriage. I suffered emotional, physical and financial abuse from my ex. My divorce was finalized this past March, :drinker: and I can honestly say that when I got back in the gym and started working out I felt better about myself. And, I feel better at night when sleeping--I don't wake up in the middle of the night with insomnia anymore!!!:happy: I hope I can keep it up. I haven't had to take any meds yet, so I'm hoping that as my mind, body and spirit strengthen I won't have to worry about depression!

:heart: Button

P.S. In 6 years of marriage I gained over 60 lbs from having a second child and being stressed out, so that's why I'm dedicated to doing my best to lose it PLUS the weight I gained after my first baby.
  • stschulz
    Options
    Button,

that sounds to me more as if you were just in a bad relationship and that that caused most of the problems. If you are coping with all that so far ok and feel already better you will get better yet. It takes a long time. Emotional and physical abuse it not something that heals in a few months. God bless you that you have the strength to set new goals such as loosing weight at all!
    Are you working out or getting some kind of exercise?
  • overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    I love the loqacious folks on this board for the matters that I feel are important to me, especially when the irony is that mental health can sometimes effect you physically, IMO. That being said, let me clarify myself on some matters. I don't consider myself depressed currently and although some dark thoughts have come and gone, my life has been better since I decided to dedicate myself to my health and focus on my personal spiritual goals. Five years ago was hell. Now, I'm so much stronger and I fear very little. Has it been easy? Far from it. But it's been an experience I wouldn't trade for the world regardless of all the speed bumps. Please accept my apologies for not elaborating but I was already running late for work. :bigsmile: :laugh:

My motivations for the thread was the adrenaline and optimism I had oozing out of me this morning after my workout. It made me reflect on past times when I was miserable in a fatuous-like manner. It humbled me immesely, in a way where it made the rest of my day wonderful.

I am grateful on how a lot of you opened up and shared your stories. I send nothing but positive energy in your direction. The world seems to be getting crazier on a daily basis but being surrounded by folks with an natural acumen like yourselves, it definitely gives me hope for our human race.

Thank you, again, for those who've posted thus far and much oblige in advance for those who continue to share their stories. Keep em' coming! Or at the very least, share your thoughts? :happy:
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I have found that I can trigger a depression by not eating enough complex carbohydrates. Take away my carbs for a week and I can guarantee you I will be very depressed; as complex carbs supply seratonin, which is a mood elevator...... similar to endorphins from exercise. So, exercise absolutely, but don't forget the carbs. And I do know what it feels like to not be able to motivate myself to exercise.

That is the cycle that MFP has helped me to break; denying myself carbs, getting depressed enough that I couldn't motivate myself to do anything not absolutely necessary (like feeding my children), so no exercise....

Carbs, exercise and sunshine!
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Yes.. I know exactly what you mean! I have had depression since I was a teen..and it's no fun..but one thing that I notice helps the most..working out!! I don't know how or why medically but I just know for me personally it helps! But it is a strange battle..because you need to actually get yourself out of whatever funk you are in to work out in the first place..and that ..some days..is not easy...

Yes...I've actually been going through this for the past couple of weeks. I struggle with depression and I know for a fact that exercise makes it go away for me. The problem with me is that when I have one lazy day the depression hits and it makes it so hard to get up and work out. I've laid around for the past couple days feeling so depressed and not wanting to get up at all. But you have to force yourself ya know. It's hard but it's worth it. Today I finally got back into it. Took my dog for a walk/jog, did some yoga, and rode my bike to the store to buy some healthy food. I feel great now! It really is a struggle sometimes.
  • overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    I have found that I can trigger a depression by not eating enough complex carbohydrates. Take away my carbs for a week and I can guarantee you I will be very depressed; as complex carbs supply seratonin, which is a mood elevator...... similar to endorphins from exercise. So, exercise absolutely, but don't forget the carbs. And I do know what it feels like to not be able to motivate myself to exercise.

That is the cycle that MFP has helped me to break; denying myself carbs, getting depressed enough that I couldn't motivate myself to do anything not absolutely necessary (like feeding my children), so no exercise....

Carbs are definitely essential and thank you for pointing that out. A lot of factors must be contributed but the foundation of the goal is the actual movement, the exercise! It sucks to get those blurry days but we're here to make sure that doesn't happen very frequently.

High fives to you and your efforts.
    Yes...I've actually been going through this for the past couple of weeks. I struggle with depression and I know for a fact that exercise makes it go away for me. The problem with me is that when I have one lazy day the depression hits and it makes it so hard to get up and work out. I've laid around for the past couple days feeling so depressed and not wanting to get up at all. But you have to force yourself ya know. It's hard but it's worth it. Today I finally got back into it. Took my dog for a walk/jog, did some yoga, and rode my bike to the store to buy some healthy food. I feel great now! It really is a struggle sometimes.

I went through this for almost two months. I fell into some family turmoil and just became confused and didn't focus on much. Thankfully, I didn't binge and return to my highschool habits but I was such a damn snail, too! It's been great running and weight lifting again, can't believe I ever put it down.

My point is: we all fall into these situations. The worst part for me was that I didn't even expect it! I was on a roll. But that's okay, I've shown myself it's been obtained before and I'll conquer again, with better results. Good luck on your goals and don't lose sight of the light. Rage, rage against the dying of the light!
  • LML79
    Options

Carbs are definitely essential and thank you for pointing that out. A lot of factors must be contributed but the foundation of the goal is the actual movement, the exercise! It sucks to get those blurry days but we're here to make sure that doesn't happen very frequently.

High fives to you and your efforts.

I went through this for almost two months. I fell into some family turmoil and just became confused and didn't focus on much. Thankfully, I didn't binge and return to my highschool habits but I was such a damn snail, too! It's been great running and weight lifting again, can't believe I ever put it down.

My point is: we all fall into these situations. The worst part for me was that I didn't even expect it! I was on a roll. But that's okay, I've shown myself it's been obtained before and I'll conquer again, with better results. Good luck on your goals and don't lose sight of the light. Rage, rage against the dying of the light!

Yes , I agree that the worst part is when you don't expect it. When you think you are doing ok and then one day everything just changes.

I know that any negative situation triggers depression..which I have experienced..and then you can at least know you have a reason behind it ...you feel like at least you have an excuse.. But when life is going just fine and I still feel lousy..That's when things get tough. Because I have personally been dealing with it since I was a teen..sometimes it's almost hard to notice it's depression...sometimes I tend to think..I have been like this for so long..maybe this is just me.. how I am.. But I know that is not true. Because it comes and goes and when it leaves it is like I am a different person.
  • overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    Yes, you're absolutely right. I think what keeps me going is consistant prayer and this mission to succeed has lingered in my body since birth because I just refuse to be overweight. I demand a new lifestyle and I will propel myself to succeed at any cost necessary!

Food is like drugs for an addict when I was really really overweight. Something would occur five years ago and I would use food as a substitute for getting my emotions trampled on. Now, I just envision that persons face when I hit the punching bag. :laugh: :tongue:
  • LML79
    Options
    Yes, you're absolutely right. I think what keeps me going is consistant prayer and this mission to succeed has lingered in my body since birth because I just refuse to be overweight. I demand a new lifestyle and I will propel myself to succeed at any cost necessary!

Food is like drugs for an addict when I was really really overweight. Something would occur five years ago and I would use food as a substitute for getting my emotions trampled on. Now, I just envision that persons face when I hit the punching bag. :laugh: :tongue:

There ya go..that's one way to do it :laugh:
  • overthehillsandfaraway
    Options

There ya go..that's one way to do it :laugh:

One of many many ways. I've also done some light research and it seems that after 6 weeks of weight lifting, a study conducted show that all of the participants felt significant increases in their mood boost!
  • Marlease
    Marlease Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi there, Im pretty new on myfitnesspal and am still finding my way around the site. I came across your post and really appreciate your comments and the comments of others here. I too have had depression for years and yes you know it is hard to motivate yourself to workout at times, I struggle all the time with moving myself to keep active. However I must say, something I have found is just dont give up doing what I know I need to do. I have learnt alot about things to put in place to help myself...exercise being one of them, I am not consistant but I know how dark and ugly depression can get in my life and its that thought that will move me to do what I need to do, because I know that I never want to go back to being as unwell as I once was. Thanx.
  • overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    Hi there, Im pretty new on myfitnesspal and am still finding my way around the site. I came across your post and really appreciate your comments and the comments of others here. I too have had depression for years and yes you know it is hard to motivate yourself to workout at times, I struggle all the time with moving myself to keep active. However I must say, something I have found is just dont give up doing what I know I need to do. I have learnt alot about things to put in place to help myself...exercise being one of them, I am not consistant but I know how dark and ugly depression can get in my life and its that thought that will move me to do what I need to do, because I know that I never want to go back to being as unwell as I once was. Thanx.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words and testimony to this thread. Everyone faces a struggle daily but it's how we occupy and apply ourselves when it comes down to it. The internal conflict of obtaining motivation just to contribute to our health is an irony I can't fathom, yet deal with occassionally on those rainy days. This site alleviates the pressure of that burden.

And no, thank you. :happy: