BAD Eating Habits

Options
So, I have discovered my new obstacles that have proven to be dangerous to my journey. Around 3-4pm I become a flippin eating machine. I get the jitters and HAVE to eat. Mostly sweets. I get home around 5 and while I am cooking I grab chips, cookies, all kinds of unhealthy treats. NOW, I do have fruit and veggies at home, but I always seem go for the unhealthy stuff. I must say that this is fairly new to me. I have never been much of a sweets person. I do know that the Majority of my eating is emotional eating; however, I really need to get a handle on this problem. Any suggestions? Since Nov 15, I have gained 15lbs!! After such a successful loss, I am beyond disappointed in myself.

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    bump... I struggle with the afternoon eating too, and would love some tips.
  • get_it_gone2012
    Options
    Eat a big, satisfying breakfast. Oatmeal is good, or if you're like me and can't stand the stuff, then Special K Satisfaction usually works for me. Also, allow yourself to snack. Snacking mid-morning and mid-afternoon can usually sate the cravings. If you're still hungry, you can also try eating more filling foods at lunch, or a larger variety of foods at lunch. And allow yourself to eat more sugar and fats during the day maybe (good ones, of course!) like in fruits or yogurt and then you won't crave as much later!
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but it sounds like your blood sugar may be dropping around that time. I would suggest eating a lunch that has a balance of carbs, fats and proteins. If you are eating a carb heavy lunch your blood sugar can crash a few hours later. Grab some almonds instead of the sweets but it sounds like you need to get a handle on blood sugar spikes and dips and keep it on an even keel and your sugar cravings will probably subside.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Grab a handful of nuts instead of chips! Still pretty full of calories, but also good fats and protein!!! And for crying out loud.. don't stock your pantry full of bad snacks!!! No one needs those, not your or the family!!! Just throw them OUT!!!! Good luck!
  • jenniecustodio09
    Options
    I have the same problem. I call it the 3pm crash. I usually have a protein/energy like snack (my new fav is pretzels dipped in peanut butter) and a crystal light (it satisfies the "sweet craving") I also feel like this is the time when I'm most inclined to cheat so I always use my 3/4 snack as something crunchy...pop chips, slim fast bar. I look forward to it all day! :) GOOD LUCK!
  • purroxide
    Options
    I used to have this same problem. I found that eating at specific times of the day actually really helps to curb any cravings I might get.

I have something super sweet for breakfast unless I really don't feel like it. Usually a naughty cereal or Poptarts, or even canned fruit like peaches. If I'm craving savoury, I have wholemeal toast or eggs.

If I'm home, I start cooking lunch between midday and 1pm. Even if I'm not hungry, I still have a small serve of soup.

Come dinner time, I'm usually not hungry. I just eat because I know I'll be hungry later.

Sugarfree soft drinks help to curb sugar cravings. If you're still REALLY cravings sweets and have an appetite, So Good Soy ice cream is a guilt-free filling snack. Only 75 calories for 2 scoops and it's so sweet you will have to stop without overeating.
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Perhaps if you nibble on healthy snacks throughout the day maybe that would help. I know I would scarf down anything I could get my hands on the moment I walked in the door as well. Carrots are a good option in my opinion because they do contain alot of natural sugar and they are easy to munch on, even while at work.
  • goodforeyou
    goodforeyou Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you're still REALLY cravings sweets and have an appetite, So Good Soy ice cream is a guilt-free filling snack. Only 75 calories for 2 scoops and it's so sweet you will have to stop without overeating.

I love the So Good products!

What is your water intake like. I know when I am drinking ample amounts of water, my hunger seems to be curbed a lot.
  • emma44ny
    emma44ny Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am NOT at all a sweets person and I too desperately need something sweet at about 3:30 PM every day. I don't know if this would be helpful to you or not, but what I find kills the craving is a little piece (or 2 even) of chololate. Either a Hershey's kiss or Hershey's miniature (I perfer special dark!) usually does the trick and I can get through until dinner time. Unfortunately it's a bad habit that has to be broken, or at least managed! Good luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • jenrobyoung
    Options
    I keep some healthier snacks around like granola bars, trail mix or nuts. Something that will make me feel like I have had something to tide me over, when I go for friuts at that time I just get more hungry and want to eat more sweets. I am a sugar addict so that is really not a good time for me. Some times I will even have an extra 1/2 sandwich made special for that time, Tuna or turkey are my favs.
  • slingdog
    Options
    I had the same problem, my blood sugar would fall like a stone 3 to 4 hours after lunch. Doctor got me eating a low fat high fiber snack in the afternoon a few hours after lunch and increased my activity level, seem to help a lot. Good luck
  • nilisabel
    Options
    I would check with my doctor if I were you because that jitteriness doesn't sound like regular ole 3pm munchies to me.
  • Abdias
    Options
    First of all remove those negative items from the house so you won't be tempted!Then you will have no choice but to eat the healthy foods.You know what it takes to lose weight cause you've done it already so get ur mind right again an just do it!!We all go through setbacks but in the end it makes us stronger!!Your not alone,I'm routing for you!!