Of Pedicures and Sneakers, a Query for Runners.

Mrs_McFadden
Mrs_McFadden Posts: 1,139
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Just talking to my husband about my itty bitty progress doing my little C25k adventure. I'm feeling in the zone already, I feel like I was born to run. I am having a love affair with my treadmill. So, I told him hmm I need to find some special socks or pads or something because the backs of my feet are bleeding..and I have a blister! Or shop around for a different shoe..

His opinion is that I should just tough through this and that my feet are going to toughen up. My opinion is, I get pedicures for a reason, and my feet are smooth soft and pretty ok? I want them to stay that way.

Can a runner have pretty feet?
Is this just the growing pain of having new running shoes?
Am I running incorrectly?
Is he right and therefore I'm going to have to find some new gig for this cardio fest I need to carry on with?
What say you, experienced runners and joggers?

Replies

• Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Ok, I'm not a seasoned runner by any means, but I really think you have the wrong shoes!!! If I were you, I'd head down to the nearest running shoe store and be fitted by a professional... ASAP! Make sure you wear the right socks (of if you don't have the right ones, buy some). I've been running for 9 months (2 5k's down, 10k coming up) and haven't had a single blister!!!

Yes, runners can have pretty feet... at least mine look pretty good!!!

Good luck with the C25K... saved my life!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I haven't had any blisters, and I'm on week 7 of C25K. I do love a good thick soled sock, though. I don't have any particular favorite brands... I just look for ones that are cushy and soft, and that say something about moisture wicking. In fact, I just got a 6 pack of Champion brand at Target on clearance for $4. I like the ones that come just up a little on the ankle... not the "invisible" ones, or my shoes rub against my Achilles tendon.

Very important on the moisture wicking. Sweaty feet lead to blisters.
  • SDehmer819
    SDehmer819 Posts: 441 Member
    I say go to a specialized running store and have your gait analyzed and fitted for the correct fit. Also, you need to go a bit bigger in your shoes when running...like normally I wear a 7 and my running shoes are 8...I know some people that theres are 2 sizes bigger.

I agree...I dont want my feet looking hideous because I want to run. Ive lost a few toe nails but I blame that on the fact that I focused too much on the number of my shoe size instead of comfort. heehee!!

yay for you loving running!! have fun!!!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    My profile pic is my feet. I run almost everyday. Find a better shoe. :wink:
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Do you mean the back like the back of your heel? I had that when I first started walking long distances last year when I was training for the 3-Day. I did two things. First I laced my shoes up using the furthest back eyelet hole - that way there wasn't any heel slippage going on. Second I slapped a piece of moleskin over the backs of my heels so that they were protected. Nowadays I do the C25K and I don't use the moleskin anymore - but I am very careful about how I lace my shoes.

Are you wearing socks that come up over your ankles? I wear moisture wicking crew cut socks - that way there is never any bare skin rubbing against shoe.

Hope that helps!
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Not an expert, but I think the right shoes and the right socks can make a big difference. I bought some AMAZINGLY expensive socks at a local running store and they frankly live up to the hype. One pair has lasted me for a few years and just broke down and bought a few more. They are much more comfortable and they wick away moisture.

Shoes are also a big deal. A good running store will watch you run and suggest a shoe that will compliment your natural stride. They check for pronation on your footfall and can get shoes that correct these kind of issues.

I think the first thing I would do would be to get to a good running store (and I mean a store that really specializes and not a sporting goods store, etc.) and tell them what you are experiencing. It might be as easy as getting some socks and the problem will go away.

Good Luck!!!

--Carter

p.s. last week was my highest ever logged miles, 20.1 miles total. I ran for a long time in shoes I bought at a sporting goods store and got shin splints, hurting knees, and other problems. In hindsight, I wish I had taken the plunge and bought my current shoes sooner.
  • Booper83
    Booper83 Posts: 70 Member
    Yes! We can have pretty feet! I think the runners I know who don't, don't take care of their feet. I don't get a pedicure or anything. But, I do my own and use Revlon. Revlon base, then color, then top coat. They will last as long as a pedi.
    And, your feet may toughin up, but STOP!!! You shouldn't have a BLEEDING blister! No! You need different shoes and you need to let your feet heal hon! You are going to kill them babies! Do something else for a while. No running until they are healed and you buy new shoes! And, get new socks that are comfy. My feet have NEVER bleed ever! That's dangerous! And put on neosproin to help them babies heal! Oh dear! Let them breathe, heal. If you need workout ideas, please friend me and I'll give you ideas!
  • Booper83
    Booper83 Posts: 70 Member
    I love that! Your profile pic is your feet! My favorate about me is my feet and my hair too!
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Bump!
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Don't listen to your husband!!!
    If you want to get serious about running, you need to get serious about your running shoes. You need "running shoes" not "cross trainers"
    You need to find a speciality running shoe store (not some big box store!) and have them assess your gate.
    They should ask to see your current shoes (to look for wear patterns) they should watch you walk with and without shoes and they should watch you do a few squats to see if your knees turn in our out. Also, a good store will return your runners if they bug you, even after a few trips on the treadmill, and fit you again for the RIGHT shoe.
    Trust me: Take the Time, Spend the Money, and you won't be sorry.

Good Luck!
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    I agree with everyone about getting the right pair of shoes professionally fitted to your feet. It's worth the extra time and money.

Another thing, Dr. Scholl's makes this stuff to prevent blisters that looks like a little blue tube of deodorant. You just rub it where you get blisters before you put your socks on. I didn't think it would work, but I bought some about a week ago after I got some shoes on sale (that really don't fit my feet) that gave me blisters, and, I tell you what... I am a believer now!
  • THANK YOU ladies!
    I needed to hear that because I'm in this to make my body look nicer, not grotesque LOL.
    I live in Texas- that means 3/4 of the year IS sandal season you got me?

Anyway- off to an official proper good running store, I know of a few already. I'll just have to suck it up and embarrass my amateur butt, running in front of a pro grrr.

Yes, it is the back of my heel..and my socks were those very short crew ones. That's what I get for vanity I guess...I think those look cuter LOL.
  • Wellll, I dont run, but I do spin. And my pedicure guy, bless his heart, commented on the balls of my feet the other day.
    My best Korean impersonation (Hes not been in the states long, but is THE BEST there is! I love trying to talk with him. SO funny)
    "What you do to your feet? You now run?"
    LOL "Nope, I spin."
    "Ohhh you a ballerina??"
    LOL again, "No, bicycle class"
    "You no know how to ride bike?"

Anyway - I guess he noticed - after I finally explained I was trying to get "in shape" (a whole nother conversation) he is now putting some softening stuff on the balls of my feet where Im getting calllouses from spin class.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    I think they look cuter, too. But sometimes my heels hate me for it.
  • kiannlouise
    kiannlouise Posts: 310 Member
    im doing my certificates as a nail technician annndddd- you need new shoes haa!
    Is it because your shoes are too lose or too tight? it could also lead to ingrown toenails =/
  • jesseroyal
    jesseroyal Posts: 22 Member
    Personally, no matter WHAT kind of shoes and socks I wear I always have running blisters. Some shoes/socks make them worse than others though.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    I trail run as often as humanly possible. You must be wearing the wrong type of shoes for your feet. I never get blisters from my running shoes...my heels sometimes are another story, lol.
  • I'm definitely going to get new running shoes.

PS Charisse, I'm half Korean lol.
This discussion has been closed.