Crock Pot Yogurt

Options
I have started making this recently. I admit, the recipe is not mine. I found it online on someone's blog. I use raw, whole milk and Greek yogurt to make mine the first time, then I use a little of the last batch of yogurt to make the next one. This will work for a while. If you notice the yogurt not setting up as well, or having a more sour taste, use a new yogurt culture for your next batch. I use a 2-quart crockpot, which is the size the recipe was designed for. My crockpot has a removable stoneware liner. When I set the yogurt aside, I put it into my cold, turned off) oven.

Pour a half gallon of milk into a 2-quart crockpot. Turn the crockpot to Low, and let heat for 2 1/2 hours. Turn off the crockpot, and let sit for 3 hours. At then end of this time, take 1-2c of warm milk out of the crockpot. Whisk 1/2c plain yogurt into the milk, then add to crockpot and whisk again until smooth. Take the stoneware liner out of the crockpot, leaving the cover on. Wrap the liner and cover with a bath towel, and set aside for 8 hours. After 8 hours, check to see if the yogurt has come to a consistency you like. If not, let it culture a little longer.

I find this yogurt has the flavor of Greek yogurt, and the texture of regular? not Greek? yogurt. It's sweet without honey, and delicious. Enjoy!

Replies

• ptrppl6
    Options
    I should have checked beforehand, but I didn't. I'd like to add that this recipe has 84 calories per half-cup serving, with 7 grams carb, 5g each of protein and fat.
  • 0flynnstone0
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I tried to make crock pot yogurt from an internet recipe one time, and it was a big fail. What I ended up with was more like a weird cheese. So I just used it as ricotta and made lasagna! haha
    I'll have to give this one a try though.
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    you should try it with goats milk.

if your yogurt came out too thick that is probably because either the milk you used didn't have enough fat in it, or you let it incubate too long, or some combination of the two.