No Meat.....No Problem

Options

Replies

• SkierElle
    Options
    In my opinion, in order to be healthier people need to cut out sugar and simple carbs. Not meat, red or otherwise. Eat grass fed beef if you're worried about the saturated fat, as it has more Omega 3's.

Going meatless means less protein, less B vitamins, less zinc, less iron. Which leads to deficiencies in those areas, if you're not dilligent in supplementation or finding alternatives. Also, meat is brain food. If anyone believes in evolution, you'll know that humans came as we are today through eating meat which led to the development of our brains to how they are today.

Most of land on earth cannot be used to grow crops on, but a lot of it can go towards raising animals who can survive on little forage. Animals are the key to solving the world's hunger crisis.

It's a personal choice to be a vegetarian, but please, make it an educated choice.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    like the above post. a lot.
  • SkierElle
    Options
    like the above post. a lot.

Thanks. :)

Wow, this thread makes me hungry for some good BBQ steak, nevermind the fact that it's 7am. ;-)

Also I would like to point out that the animals in America are much more efficient now than they were even 10-15 years ago, especially dairy cattle. The amount we are able to produce now requires less input of feed and less of a carbon footprint than ever before. It is not a perfect industry, but it is improving dramatically. I do not think that feedlots are the best ways to finish beef, but if there is a growing population it's what has to happen. Besides, the animals still spend the majority of their lives in pasture. Feedlots are there because the demand from consumers for a certain taste of beef in America. Don't blame the farmers or ranchers. If there are enough people buying grass fed beef, more ranchers will produce and market it, driving up competition and lowering the cost. If more people would buy what's good for them, instead of avoiding meat all together or just buying the cheapest, fattiest cut of feedlot beef, I think we would get a lot further in this country at lowering obesity and improving animal health all at the same time.

Ok, I'll get off the soap box now!!
  • lhague
    lhague Posts: 258
    Options
    In my opinion, in order to be healthier people need to cut out sugar and simple carbs. Not meat, red or otherwise. Eat grass fed beef if you're worried about the saturated fat, as it has more Omega 3's.

Going meatless means less protein, less B vitamins, less zinc, less iron. Which leads to deficiencies in those areas, if you're not dilligent in supplementation or finding alternatives. Also, meat is brain food. If anyone believes in evolution, you'll know that humans came as we are today through eating meat which led to the development of our brains to how they are today.

Most of land on earth cannot be used to grow crops on, but a lot of it can go towards raising animals who can survive on little forage. Animals are the key to solving the world's hunger crisis.

I believe you need to read more and educate yourself a little more about the claims or vits, iron, brain food, etc.

And please educate yourself on crop growth. I live in the middle east where the vegetables and fruits are the most delicious I have eaten anywhere in the world. Saudi Arabia does not have fertile land, but what they do have is kilometers upon kilometers of green houses, less pest, and lots of produce. And if there weren't enough land to sustain produce then how do you propose we feed the animals that graze that you eat?

It's a personal choice to be a vegetarian, but please, make it an educated choice.
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I don't need to read the China study..or the Atkins diet.
    WE'RE OMNIVORES.
    That's right. Eating a variety is often best. Do what you like, if you have moral issues with eating animal, bravo to you. You'll survive. The people eating a ton of meat and barely much else, you'll survive too, and probably get cancer or have bad breath.

We're not predators- we are the weaklings in the animal kingdom! We aren't super fast, but we can use our brains really well..sometimes. That means we eat meat whenever we can get it, we were first scavengers and we were definitely on the menu of top notch predators in eons past. So I guess we needed our fancy brains to hide away didn't we? Also to snag meat from real apex predators. We don't have claws.

I've got to wonder what our teeth look like vs Paleolithic man. If we're so well suited to eating meat voraciously uh hopefully we aren't basing that idea on how they lived necessarily, after all, you know, evolution. Right, surely eating Nabisco or Kraft isn't called for when we're thinking truly healthy eating or being fit.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I loss 60+ lbs eating meat, and red meat at least twice a week. My blood profile is normal, my BP is 110/60, my resting HR is 42. If eating meat means I'll die of cancer some day, then so be it. We all die, it's just a matter of when. Everyone on my dads side had bad habits(smoking, drinking) & ate bad all their lives, and still lived into their 80s. With my current lifestyle, that means I should be good to go into my 90s even 100.

BTW, there's plenty of studies out there that also indicate that most major diseases (cancer, heart disease, etc) has alot to do with genetics, not what you put in your mouth.

Now, where's that 1" thick porterhouse steak...I'm hungry. :tongue:
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    *waits to get throttled by those on atkins or primal diets*

#throttles sarah# lol

i did this with my church for a month, well it was more than just meat it also included sweets, caffiene etc, now that its over i feel so much better, i still have days where i dont eat meat, i use to be addicted to caffiene now i dont crave it, i used to be a sugarholic now i dont crave sugar either. my biggest concern about no meats was protein but i found that even with out it i got more than enough protien in my diet.

How did you go about cutting out sugar? Did you include the natural sugars in fruit?
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    geezuss i love steak.
    and ya, all sumer my family eats red meat and a side of green vegetables (kale, broccoli rabe, dandelion greens etc) and all of us lose weight.
  • jemmur
    jemmur Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think you've got to be careful when you say stuff like that. It's surprisingly easy to get enough protein as a vegan and though I do have to keep an eye on my iron and supplement B12, I never have to worry about fibre or numerous other vitamins and minerals. There are pros and cons to all diets. Nurtitional deficiencies are a symptom of a poor diet and both vegetarians and omnivores alike are capable of that!

I also believe the theory that human beings got to the top of the pile because they ate meat has been called into question. Perhaps it helped but (maybe my bias is showing, here!) I find it hard to believe that there was any one, sole factor responsible for our success. There's also the consideration that what was historically natural for us might have little relevance today - we don't live like our ancestors did.

As far as animals becomming more productive/requring fewer resources... well, that certainly ain't natural either!! To be entirely honest, it only reinforces my belief that going vegan was the right choice for me, when I think of some of the ways we "improved" our farmed animals. It's a more efficient system for us but it often comes at their cost.

And the China Study... it'd be a good counterbalance to some of the meatier books mentioned but I'd take it with as much salt as I would any other book promoting a wonder diet - including some of the ones mentioned above ;) Meat - or a lack thereof - doesn't automatically make any diet healthy or unhealthy, just like it doesn't make it (un)environmentally friendly or anything like that.

Diplomatic Vegan out.
    :laugh:
  • lhague
    Options
    I think you've got to be careful when you say stuff like that. It's surprisingly easy to get enough protein as a vegan and though I do have to keep an eye on my iron and supplement B12, I never have to worry about fibre or numerous other vitamins and minerals. There are pros and cons to all diets. Nurtitional deficiencies are a symptom of a poor diet and both vegetarians and omnivores alike are capable of that!

I also believe the theory that human beings got to the top of the pile because they ate meat has been called into question. Perhaps it helped but (maybe my bias is showing, here!) I find it hard to believe that there was any one, sole factor responsible for our success. There's also the consideration that what was historically natural for us might have little relevance today - we don't live like our ancestors did.

As far as animals becomming more productive/requring fewer resources... well, that certainly ain't natural either!! To be entirely honest, it only reinforces my belief that going vegan was the right choice for me, when I think of some of the ways we "improved" our farmed animals. It's a more efficient system for us but it often comes at their cost.

And the China Study... it'd be a good counterbalance to some of the meatier books mentioned but I'd take it with as much salt as I would any other book promoting a wonder diet - including some of the ones mentioned above ;) Meat - or a lack thereof - doesn't automatically make any diet healthy or unhealthy, just like it doesn't make it (un)environmentally friendly or anything like that.

Diplomatic Vegan out.
    :laugh:

You said that so well.

Just want to add one more thing - - the one thing that scientist have found and agree on is that the humans ability to create and use tools is what put them above all other beings. Hmmm, tools, as in sowing the fields.

I
  • amylrach
    amylrach Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have given up meat for the most part for the past 9 months. I occasionally eat chicken and turkey (about 2-3 times a month) and I wouldn't eat any at all if it wasn't for the fact that I live with three meat eaters in my house and it's hard to cook myself seperate meals every night. My reasoning is for health. If you have every read Hallelujah Diet it is a very eye opening book. The concept of the book is to eat a Vegan diet with about 80% of your food being raw. I haven't achieved that level yet but I have noitced a big difference in how I feel by cutting out the meat and decreasing my dairy intake. I used to have digestion problems and I haven't had that problem in 9 months. It's a personal choice and I have been a meat eater most of my life, but don't dis the vegans and vegetarians. It is a very healthy lifestyle and unless you've experienced it I don't think it's fair to ridecule it. I've been on both sides and my body has responded very well to the vegetarian diet. I have been much healthier and have tons more energy that I used to. It's a choice that i'm happy with!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I have given up meat for the most part for the past 9 months. I occasionally eat chicken and turkey (about 2-3 times a month) and I wouldn't eat any at all if it wasn't for the fact that I live with three meat eaters in my house and it's hard to cook myself seperate meals every night. My reasoning is for health. If you have every read Hallelujah Diet it is a very eye opening book. The concept of the book is to eat a Vegan diet with about 80% of your food being raw. I haven't achieved that level yet but I have noitced a big difference in how I feel by cutting out the meat and decreasing my dairy intake. I used to have digestion problems and I haven't had that problem in 9 months. It's a personal choice and I have been a meat eater most of my life, but don't dis the vegans and vegetarians. It is a very healthy lifestyle and unless you've experienced it I don't think it's fair to ridecule it. I've been on both sides and my body has responded very well to the vegetarian diet. I have been much healthier and have tons more energy that I used to. It's a choice that i'm happy with!

Thank you.
    You don't see vegans and vegetarians jumping on the primal and atkins threads and bashing meat eaters. It's a personal choice and I'm the only one of my friends (in RL) that is a vegetarian. They don't push meat on me and I don't throw my beliefs on them.
  • lhague
    Options
    It's also funny to get some people's reactions. When you eat out they are like...OMG where can we eat. OMG ANYWHERE!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    It's also funny to get some people's reactions. When you eat out they are like...OMG where can we eat. OMG ANYWHERE!

Very true, lol. While I do favor some restaurants over others...I can find things to eat anywhere, lol.
  • lhague
    Options
    I live in the Middle East now, and there is plenty of hummus, baba ganoush, tabbouleh, and other great non meat items. But i do miss the vegetarian restaurants in Austin, TX. Every place has an extensive veg, vegan, etc. menu.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    I live in the Middle East now, and there is plenty of hummus, baba ganoush, tabbouleh, and other great non meat items. But i do miss the vegetarian restaurants in Austin, TX. Every place has an extensive veg, vegan, etc. menu.

Ha. I had planned to move to Austin until I was awarded the house in my divorce...now I'm stuck in GA until I can sell it.
    I'm stuck in BBQ land...but I can usually find good veg friendly food anywhere.
    I envy you...on the types of foods...not the location, lol.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    "If you don't mind my asking...what kind of misinformation?"

For one, that the vegetarian “Life Style” is more healthy, as a blanket statement.

IMO there is nothing wrong with being a veggie, if you are doing it because for you it works, and you feel/know it’s a better choice. But, again IMO, there are way too many that are doing it because of some misplaced moral judgment about eating meat. Either way you look at it man is a omnivore which means meat and veggies, but on the individual level being a vegetarian “can” be the right choice for that person.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    "Thank you.
    You don't see vegans and vegetarians jumping on the primal and atkins threads and bashing meat eaters. It's a personal choice and I'm the only one of my friends (in RL) that is a vegetarian. They don't push meat on me and I don't throw my beliefs on them. "

Really? I guess you missed the meat dress Lady GAGA wore, or you have never heard of PETA, or any of the other millitant Vegans.
  • VeganJamiOnAMission
    Options
    It is sad to see that a simple post about loving an eggplant recipe can turn into this. It is a personal choice to top eating meat. I wish there weren't so many people out there who were just itching to attack some one for making that decision. It is absolutely possible to be healthy and vegetarian. Let people decide on their own if they want to eat meat or not and don't bash them for their decision. I don't understand why it has to be such a heated topic. I have been vegetarian for most of my life and I don't go around telling people that eating meat is wrong. There are many reasons for choosing not to eat meat. In the end the decision is yours. Don't let anyone bully you into believing one way or another.

That being said, I think its great that you have tried something new. Eggplant is great. I'm sorry people couldn't just take your post for what it is. You weren't afraid to try something new, you liked it and wanted to share your experience. I'm sure your intention was not to open a debate on why vegetarianism is the wrong way to go. And I am also sure that you are not trying to say that we should replace meat with eggplant. I saw several replies that were advising you not to replace meat with eggplant. Come on people, lets think for a minute. I think a lot of people just totally missed the point of your post.
  • amylrach
    amylrach Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
    You don't see vegans and vegetarians jumping on the primal and atkins threads and bashing meat eaters. It's a personal choice and I'm the only one of my friends (in RL) that is a vegetarian. They don't push meat on me and I don't throw my beliefs on them.
    [/quote]

Exactly! It would never even cross my mind to hop onto a meat lovers thread and start throwing critical opinions at people. The thing i've noticed the most since I changed my eating habits is that it truly offends some people that I don't want to eat meat. I don't get it. What i put in my mouth is my business and what you put in your mouth is yours!!! :happy: