Emotional Eating

Options
I went 1,500 calories over my daily goal today because I was stressed and anxious, and came to a point when I thought, "I don't friggin care. What's the point when the poo hits the fan!!!???" So I ate.

Ugh. I need suggestions on how to channel that temptation into:indifferent: something else. Tonight, for example, I wasn't in a place where I could get privacy nor take a run or something. All I had was a vending machine staring me in the face.

Replies

• TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    make tea & open a book or journal, distract yourself in any way possible. try drinking a bottle of water quickly & wait a half hour & if you're still hungry try to make a high fiber or protein food choice to fill you up & more water. tomorrow is a new day, you can fix this!
  • reasonablyvain
    Options
    The thing that works best for me is to just remember that a) my feelings of depression/hopelessness/whatever will pass, they are probably just the result of low blood sugar or pms, normally I can deal, b) that eating will only make me feel better for a minute and worse for days...even years if I keep it up, and c) that I need to face my feeling - not eat them - if I want to fix them.

When I'm angry, I take it out on the equipment at the gym.

When I'm ready to give up I look in the mirror. Better yet, strip down and look in the mirror.

If absolutely necessary, break something (other than my resolution).

Hope that helps :)
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    The book Women Food and God by Geneen Roth is a great read if you suffer from food addiction/emotional eating/over eating/binge eating. I read it in January 2010 and have binged ONCE since. The book was life changing for me.

Here's an excerpt from Oprah.com:

http://www.oprah.com/health/An-Excerpt-from-Geneen-Roths-Women-Food-And-God

YOU CAN OVERCOME THIS ADDICTION!!!

Charmagne
  • Japangela
    Japangela Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. They're great! I have a hard time on Monday nights because I have to collect all six of my children, and my MIL, drive to a meeting, and feed them, and meet my husband... and I'm just GRRRRRR by the time I get to my meeting! BUT, there's a track between where I drop my family off and where I go to my meeting. Maybe a few laps will do me good. Planning ahead will be my greatest diversion, and the tips you gave me will be very helpful. Thanks!
  • SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    PRAYER HELPS.....BEFORE WHEN I GOT EMOTIONAL I WOULD EAT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT, NOW WHEN I AM UPSET I MEDITATE ON IT......CLEAR MY MIND AND BREATHE IT OUT.....PUT GOOD THINGS IN YOUR ATMOSPHERE....SPEAK WELLNESS AND CALMNESS INTO YOUR ATMOSPHERE YOU'LL BE SURPRISED HOW MUCH THAT HELPS.....HOPE THIS IS HELPING YOU!