Avoiding Binges

Options
Pretty much all of my life, I have been able to eat as much of what I wanted whenever I wanted to. I ate...ALL the time. Even if I wasn't hungry. It was just a huge part of my day. I thought about food all the time.

Now that I'm starting to lose weight and now that I'm becoming more cautious of what I stick into my mouth, sometimes I'll have relapses. There will be days when I feel the urge to fork down an entire cake in one sitting, even though I'm generally doing great with portioning out my food and not depriving myself. I try to make sure that I don't feel like I'm missing anything, and for the most part I don't.

A few days ago, I went grocery shopping and decided to pick up two boxes of those 100 calorie pack snacks. I got two types of the little cake versions of them, thinking that I could eat one every once in a while and that it would be fine. I was so wrong.

Tonight I almost had one of my shameful binges, and it took some drastic measures on my part to minimize the damage I was about to do to myself. I went into the kitchen with the intention of ingesting every single little snack cake I could find. 100 calories per package means nothing if you're planning to eat every single pack in the box. I stopped myself after swallowing down the first one and realized that I wouldn't win tonight unless I did something crazy.

Not giving myself time to think, I ripped open every single package and dumped all of the cakes out into a single box before grabbing a nearby bottle of nail polish remover and dumping it out onto the whole pile. I made sure each and every one of them was ruined and couldn't be eaten and then I threw the whole lot into the trash.

Dramatic anti-binge scene aside, I was just wondering if anyone else does the same kinds of over-the-top things I do when I feel like it's the only way out of eating a ton of food at once. I feel bad about wasting the money on those things only to have them thrown away, but I'd have felt worse if I had allowed myself to eat them all in one sitting. I also feel a little crazy, which is why I'm asking all of you nice people. It's a manifestation of the desperate hope that I'm not the only person who does this type of thing. Haha...

Replies

• loriefolk
    Options
    Even if you are the only person, you aren't alone in the world! I wish I knew more to say, but I will tell you that you can do this and you have a lot of people here willing to motivate and support you! Please feel free to come by my page and add me if you like :) I'm big on motivation and would love to see you succeed!
  • loganaw
    loganaw Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    oh wow, good job resisting temptation! i'd say its a good thing you did it, drastic or not! sometimes what i do to resist eating a TON of food, especially small snacks, is give them away. anyone that comes over, they leave with a bag full of candy! my mom buys me a box of fun-size candy bars just about every week. i never eat one. sometimes ill hide them in places and it helps because i forget theyre there. just do what you gotta do! i've never done anything too drastic but i do pawn my food off on other people! lol
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people going to drastic measures to ruin food, so they wouldn't eat it. Can I offer a suggestion? Don't buy the snack cakes in the first place. Buy some fruit for a snack... much more satisfying and filling and fairly guiltless. Start modifying your behavior in the grocery store, then you won't have to go through the drama in the kitchen. Besides nail polish remover smells horrible!

When I go to the grocery store, I stay on the perimeter of the store. THat's where the fresh fruits and veggies, meat and seafood depts, and dairy cases arre located. About the only aisles that I go down are paper goods, frozen foods (for dinners and froz veggies) and the tuna fish aisle. I cruise right past the snack food aisles, chip aisles, and such.... nothing healthy or pronounceable there.
  • szieres
    szieres Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Let me start by saying congratulations. I don't know you, but I proud of the actions you have taken. For it, you WILL be a better person, inside and out. I've never done anything that "extreme" (yet) but I can promise you my time will come. I"ve just recently started this leg of my dieting journey and am still in the "giddy little kid at christmas time" stage. I count every single calorie, I obsese over what I'm eating all day long, etc... However, today I about had a slip up. I was way under on calories, already had dinner and was still hungry.., but not for good food, but for chocolate (ice cream.. YUMMMM). I took my daughter to the store and spent nearly 30 minutes staring at them all. I finally realized if I bought a whole carton, guess what? I would have eaten it ALL. Not because I wanted to, just because it was there. So instead, I bought a small box of skinny cow fudge pops (only 50 cal ea!)... I feel soo much better knowing I passed up the urge to buy a carton, and settled on a compromise with myself :)
    Good luck in the future. I can't say urges like these will go away forever, it just takes a strong person like yourself to know when to walk away.
  • shushka136
    shushka136 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have to say that you are my newest hero. Not only are you not crazy, I consider you to be brave! I read your post to my husband, and he immediately came back at me with "Gosh, she's just like you when it comes to the binging." He is absolutely right! I go into some sort of overdrive when I see something I like, especially something sweet, and it is almost impossible to resist the temptation. I always feel that if I buy something, I must consume every bit of it, and I just hope that one of these days I can bring myself to do what you did, and just throw it in the garbage. For now, I am just trying to keep from buying the sweets so that I don't have to throw them out :) Way to go!
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    Thank you guys for being so nice to me! c: I felt so insane for the longest because I do things like this all the time. I definitely won't be buying the little cakes again, not until I'm very far down the road and I'm sure I can handle having them around, or probably not even at all if I decide I don't want/need them because I've changed so much. I don't know what it is about things like that. Sometimes I just feel like I should consume them all without really knowing why. It would only ever hurt me.

Tomorrow is a new day with a clean slate (and no cake in sight!) so I should be able to get back on track easily.
  • loriefolk
    Options
    Thank you guys for being so nice to me! c: I felt so insane for the longest because I do things like this all the time. I definitely won't be buying the little cakes again, not until I'm very far down the road and I'm sure I can handle having them around, or probably not even at all if I decide I don't want/need them because I've changed so much. I don't know what it is about things like that. Sometimes I just feel like I should consume them all without really knowing why. It would only ever hurt me.

Tomorrow is a new day with a clean slate (and no cake in sight!) so I should be able to get back on track easily.

Good for you!!
  • kdsmith
    kdsmith Posts: 250
    Options
    I'm just like you, I can resist temptation for a long time but then when the food is there, I lose all will power and will just binge and eat it all. I can have a house without any junk food in it but I am pretty good at making up some brownies from scratch or oatmeal cookies and eating away. I find it only happens in the evenings so I am really trying to concentrate on keeping myself away from food in the evenings as I eat perfectly all day. I wish I had a kitchen that had steel doors that automatically locked at 6pm every evening!
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    I'm just like you, I can resist temptation for a long time but then when the food is there, I lose all will power and will just binge and eat it all. I can have a house without any junk food in it but I am pretty good at making up some brownies from scratch or oatmeal cookies and eating away. I find it only happens in the evenings so I am really trying to concentrate on keeping myself away from food in the evenings as I eat perfectly all day. I wish I had a kitchen that had steel doors that automatically locked at 6pm every evening!

O-O

Someone should do that. Like, seriously. If I had a lot of money, I'd totally get doors like that in my kitchen. Of course, you could probably always just unlock them unless you gave the keys to someone else.
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I can relate. When I was a teenager it was so much harder to have self control. What you need to train yourself to think is that food is fuel for the body. That's it. There are no obese animals in the wild. Americans specifically have been bombarded with fast food, and junk food, and diets, and"diet" food... it ALL looks good to us. LOL It's like those stories you hear of moms wanting to sue McDs for using clowns and Happy Meals to promote their restaurants, or cereal companies for putting toys in the boxes so that children will beg and beg and beg until the parent just can't take it anymore. It's crazy because we need to control ourselves, and our children, but there is some truth to it.