Help picking out a blender

Options
I might get a blender sometime this month because a fruit smoothie and such just really sounds good. Drinkable fruit. Awesome, right? It needs to be cheap but durable. I've only found one so far, from Walmart. Any suggestions, comments? Thanks in advance!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/allReviews.do?product_id=5924588

^ That's the one I've found.

Replies

• jlewis121186
    Options
    i love my bullet blender, its small and portable...
  • jksn2nlove
    Options
    I have the bullet as well and love it. It has a medium size blender, some small and some medium size cups that you just blend and put the lid and drink :)
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    That's the exact one that I just found on Amazon that I told you about on our home page. Read the reviews! I base a lot of stuff on the reviews. The people that are saying it has a hard time blending fruit say that because they don't have enough liquid in it! That will happen with any blender and if you have the fruit at the bottom, next to the blade, and the liquid on top of that, it won't work well either. But, for you I think that will be just perfect and it's not too much money. Amazon has it a little cheaper, but you would need to compare the shipping.
  • chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    That's the exact one that I just found on Amazon that I told you about on our home page. Read the reviews! I base a lot of stuff on the reviews. The people that are saying it has a hard time blending fruit say that because they don't have enough liquid in it! That will happen with any blender and if you have the fruit at the bottom, next to the blade, and the liquid on top of that, it won't work well either. But, for you I think that will be just perfect and it's not too much money. Amazon has it a little cheaper, but you would need to compare the shipping.

Cool! I wouldn't have thought about the liquid thing being the reason. Good thing you mentioned that. I'll probably try to find it in store so I can save on shipping.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's not cheap, but the Vitamix is the best blender there is. Totally durable, there are people who have been using the same machine they bought in the 1960's! They're made in America and have a 7 year warranty, not that you'd need it! They can make smoothies, of course, plus hot soups, ice creams and sorbets, bread doughs, cake batter, you name, it can make it. I got mine last month and have used it at least once (sometimes 3 times) a day since it came. It's a 1300 watt, 2 horse power machine. It completely pulverizes foods. It's what smoothie shops and bars use. With other blenders you will undoubtedly end up with chunks of ice or frozen fruit when you make smoothie or iced drink, but you won't have that with the Vitamix. You can throw in whole foods and get all the health benefits from them. It's absolutely phenomenal, you have to check it out! Go to vitamix.com and take a look.
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    It's not cheap, but the Vitamix is the best blender there is. Totally durable, there are people who have been using the same machine they bought in the 1960's! They're made in America and have a 7 year warranty, not that you'd need it! They can make smoothies, of course, plus hot soups, ice creams and sorbets, bread doughs, cake batter, you name, it can make it. I got mine last month and have used it at least once (sometimes 3 times) a day since it came. It's a 1300 watt, 2 horse power machine. It completely pulverizes foods. It's what smoothie shops and bars use. With other blenders you will undoubtedly end up with chunks of ice or frozen fruit when you make smoothie or iced drink, but you won't have that with the Vitamix. You can throw in whole foods and get all the health benefits from them. It's absolutely phenomenal, you have to check it out! Go to vitamix.com and take a look.
    If it's not cheap, I doubt I'll be able to afford it. But it sounds REALLY awesome! I probably wouldn't need to make That much food in it though. I'm not that creative lol. :laugh: But it does sound like a very useful machine.

I did check it out online just now. Way too pricey for my budget. But it still is cool. :smile:
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    We have an oster from costco. I love it! I use it at least daily..... to make smoothies! It crushes ice and frozen fruit very easily! I think I paid about $39 for it.
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    If it's not cheap, I doubt I'll be able to afford it. But it sounds REALLY awesome! I probably wouldn't need to make That much food in it though. I'm not that creative lol. :laugh: But it does sound like a very useful machine.

I did check it out online just now. Way too pricey for my budget. But it still is cool. :smile:

I know you can't afford it right now, but it's something you should think about saving for. My husband was hesitant to spend that much on a blender, but it has changed our lives. Literally. Now that I have it, I can't live without it. We're going on a two month vacation this summer and we're bringing it with us, that's how important it is. It comes with a great cookbook that has all kinds of great recipes. Most of them incorporate tons of vegetables which makes it really easy to eat a lot of them. And all the recipes are really low cal! They have a tortilla soup recipe that is 90% vegetables and it's only 36 calories per cup!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Whatever blender you end up getting, the "key" feature I watch for is that the blades are detachable from the jug AND will fit onto a mason jar.

If you get one with this you've got an automatic replacement for the bullet blender just use a mason jar sized for what you want, I do my spices / coffee beans in a 250mL mason jar with the flat blade, a personal smoothie in the 500mL jar, and a smoothie for 2 in the 1L jar, nothing more convenient. You can mix it right in the container you'll be drinking from to save from dirtying dishes. Mind you I don't mind browsing the second hand stores for when others have upgraded, or are ditching their useful pans just because they prefer non-stick.
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    They have a tortilla soup recipe that is 90% vegetables and it's only 36 calories per cup!

That sounds really good! I don't think I've ever had tortillia soup, but in cold weather, any kind of soup sounds delicious.
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    I do my spices / coffee beans in a 250mL mason jar with the flat blade, a personal smoothie in the 500mL jar, and a smoothie for 2 in the 1L jar, nothing more convenient..

That's cool. So it'll blend coffee beans, I'm assuming? I don't drink coffee, except occassionally, but that's pretty neat.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Ninja
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I have the Magic Bullet, and honestly I am not impressed. I use ice from the ice cube trays, and it has a very hard time blending it together.
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    Ninja

Only if you want to slice your finger open.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    with my regular blender motor and the blender blade base from the jug on a mason jar yes it does do coffee beans, I do prefer them through a burr grinder but since that's still at the other house my blender does in a pinch, it does sometimes come out coarser than I like.
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    I'll probably try the get the blender I posted this weekend. HOpefully I can. I'm excited about getting one! :happy:
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Ninja Prep works fine too!