NSV for a newbie!

MandaLee8908
MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
edited September 23 in Success Stories
I have been on the weight loss journey for a couple years but just recently joined MFP. I LOVE IT! I'm a runner (as you can tell by my username) but I have been out of the game since being injured during a race in Sept 2010. Today, I started a 10K training program called C210K or Couch to 10K. I had to start all over again because the severity of my knee injury kept me from running at all the past few months. Anyway, that's why I'm so excited...I trained today and my knee didn't hurt at all! I'm so happy! My first race of 2011 is May 7th and I cannot wait! Hoping to be down about 25-30lbs total before the race...I miss the 150's club!

Replies

• runracer11
    runracer11 Posts: 45 Member
    Great news, you're on your way!
  • You go girl! I am a big fan of the the couch to 5km and MFP. Before I started c25k, I could barely run 250m (due to an injury to my lower back that I sustained in a car accident) but about 6-7 weeks into the program, I had my Forrest Gump moment and couldnt stop running, I slowly increased my distance up to 10km and did my first 12km fun run about 5 months later.

I ran all the way without stopping - and was in tears by the time I crossed the finish line and realised my achievement. I cannot speak highly enough of the c25k and encourage everyone to do it. GOOD LUCK for your race! I hope your knee injury behaves itself too. You might find that losing weight means there is less stress on the joint and it helps recovery time if you do strain it. That has certainly been the case for me!
  • MandaLee8908
    Thanks for the encouragement! I'm really excited about all this!
  • froncis
    froncis Posts: 5 Member
    I love to run too! And just started back on my treadmill 3 weeks ago after a year and a half break due to achilles tendon surgery. I was seriously sad almost to a state of depression, but now no out of the ordinary pain! I can't wait to hit the road again but I'm gonna take it slow-overuse is what caused it I think (and excess weight!) So let's appreciate and celebrate the freedom and endorphins we get from running! Wheeee! It willl really speed up the weight loss. Have fun!!
  • MandaLee8908
    I can only imagine what would have happened to me if my knee had required surgery. I already gained about 15lbs just from not being able to run for 3 months...ugh the thought makes me shudder! Congrats to you for getting back to running after that! It's inspiring to hear all the stories of triumph over different obstacles others have faced, big and small :-)
  • I am just getting back into running also. I gave it up when I became pregnant and then started having some back issues post partum. As you can see from my ticker, I have set some running goals for myself and am hoping to shed my excess pregnancy weight along the way. I did 5 miles on my treadmill last night, jogged 4 and walked 1, and it felt great!
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    it is so awesome to hear other people's stories. i was also a runner before i injured my back over the summer. last night i signed up for my first 5k! i am so excited and have mapped out a program to get me back to running.

WE ROCK! hahha
    :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!