HR monitor vs treadmill?

hjollyrn
hjollyrn Posts: 208 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I recently bought a HR monitor and have been using while on the treadmill doing c25k. Only problem is the calories burned on my HR monitor and treadmill are always like 100 calories or so off! My HR monitor saying I burned more. Now, both my HR monitor and treadmill I adjust to my weight, and my chest strap reads my HR on the treadmill. Only difference is the monitor takes into account my height. Why are the numbers so different and which is more accurate? I've been taking credit only for what the treadmill says because I don't want to overestimate!

Replies

• FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    your HRM is the most accurate!!! Your treadmill clearly isnt as evil as mine is! My treadmill reads 100 more than my HRM.....100 difference is typical though between HRM and equipment.
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    I just bought one and I was very disappointed. I bought the Mio and it's the one that you have to use two fingers to get your heart rate. It doesnt work all the time and when I was on the treadmill it said i was burning about 100 calories more than what the machine said.

I'm taking it back and am going to invest in a Polar.
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    mines a Polar!!! I love it!!!
  • go with your HRM for sure. I just got one this past weekend. I entered in my weight, height, sex and age. All of these factors will give you a more accurate reading then a machine that goes off your weight.
  • I got a Polar too. It was worth the 100 bucks. Now I can track my exercises better. I had no idea how much I was burning when Jillian Michaels was kicking my butt.
  • hjollyrn
    hjollyrn Posts: 208 Member
    Oh yeah my HR monitor is programmed to my age and sex too! I got a polar at first and when i took it out of the box it wouldnt even turn on! I was pissed! Took it back and got a new balance N4. Seems to be pretty accurate other than the issue with my question! Well thats another reason I got it too because I wanted to more accurately document calories while doing JM videos! I was getting kind of disappointed because I'm like how can I be more accurate doing videos if I can't even get an accurate reading on a treadmill! Thanks for input! Any more welcome!
  • wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Your HRM will always be more accurate than a machine. Especially if the machine does not account for your age, sex, and weight.
  • I have to agree with everyone else. I have a Polar HRM and it always reads higher then my treadmill. Go with the HRM number.
  • trust the heart monitor to be as close to accurate as possible. I don't think any of it is 100% but I have a monitor and feel more confident trusting it than anything else.
This discussion has been closed.