Dairy-free

Options
I've only started on MFP yesterday but I changed my diet two months ago. I have cut most dairy out of my life -- the only dairy I do eat is cheese, and then very rarely. Not to worry, though; I get my calcium through vegetables like broccoli, spinach, carrots, fish, etc.

I find that eating this way is very rewarding. I don't feel nearly as groggy or lethargic from all that nasty lactose. Strangely, though, it seems to have come to the point that I may have become a little lactose intolerant. Last weekend I realized that I hadn't gotten enough calcium for the day so I ended up having a glass of milk while visiting my parents. I felt quite ill afterwards

I'd love to know if anybody else has a diet that is dairy-free? It would be great to compare notes!

Replies

• Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I am dairy free as well due to my horrible lactose intolerance that showed up after I had my daughter. Even though it's not an allergy I still avoid anything with dairy, casein, whey proteins...all that....I've been doing this since the first of the year after getting tired of feeling horrible and sick all the time and I feel amazing! Don't miss dairy at all. Add me as a friend if you'd like!
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    hi and welcome. i am vegan and where i get calcium is items that are fortified, like orange juice. a lot of the things i eat have calcium. feel free to look at my diary and friend me. good luck.
  • keigger1202
    keigger1202 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly dairy free because of lactose intolerance. In some ways it's a blessing -- I never really liked milk or milk products at all in the first place, and I get to avoid highly caloric and heavy foods like cheese, creamy sauces, etc. It's a pain to explain to other people, but it's generally been a positive step.

I quit eating dairy (aside from occasional ice cream weaknesses) 9 years ago, and I haven't turned back. I used to feel like I had an alien from the movie Alien clawing its way out of me, and now I feel significantly better.