Is it bad to work out late at night?

ngallihugh
ngallihugh Posts: 10
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
The only time I really have to myself is after 11pm. I have a on demand fitness option on my tv, but I can't use it during the day because my moms watching tv.

So is it bad to work out late at night after 11pm and so on?

Replies

• katcena
    katcena Posts: 326 Member
    I don't think it's ever bad....as long as you are getting some exercise! :) I know morning time is supposed to be best...but I never have time then....my free time is usually in the evening as well. Only problem I have with it is I am usually really hungry about 30-60 minutes afterward (protein shakes help with that) and I can't go to sleep for a couple of hours afterward! I'm so hyped up after exercising and feel so great! But, I do get a lot of things done...like housework! lol
  • I am not a morning person, I wake up at 11am usually, my 8 month son is awesome because he actually lets me sleep that long lol. I'm about to work out here in a few, I just hardly ever have the motivation, and I have a small living room filled with baby toys lol.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    No. It's not. It's just as beneficial as working out at any other time.
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    I only think its "bad" if you are too tired to function correctly and hurt yourself....I am a night owl so i always work out late at night! I don't work out first thing in the morning becuz I have no coordination til about noon and I have school/work :P
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    No. I workout whenever I can fit it in during the day. My usually time is between 5-6pm but if that's not possible I slip it in 8-11pm. I love morning/early afternoon workouts but I only do that during the weekend or days off of work.
  • I only think its "bad" if you are too tired to function correctly and hurt yourself....I am a night owl so i always work out late at night! I don't work out first thing in the morning becuz I have no coordination til about noon and I have school/work :P

Yeah my eyes are only halfway open til 12:30pm lol
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    It's not bad at all, as long as you follow dancer77's advice and make sure that you are not too tired to do it.

On my 2 days a week that I have off work, I do soooo many other things throughout the day that my exercise is done at night. I typically workout on those 2 days close to midnight, sometimes even after. But, I have never been tired or anything beforehand. I don't want to cause an injury.

Also, you probably have more energy at night since you have eaten lots of fuel for your workout all ready! So go ahead and burn it up whenever you can, as long as you are careful and listen to your body and make sure you aren't overdoing it.
  • xlacijeanx
    xlacijeanx Posts: 232 Member
    I work out at night mostly! I have no ambition in the mornings, unless I'm going for a hike! SInce you sleep in late, it's really not going to make that much difference. At least from what I've researched. :)
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    On at least three days a week I work out at about 9 or 9:30 for about an hour. I do find, though, that it takes me a little longer to wind down.
  • Yeah i work out at night cuz i have a 14 month old that wants to be at my feet when i exercise lol Sometimes i can get around 5 or 6 in the evening if i can get my hubby to watch her but most time its at night....would love to wake up and do it tho...best time for me is night tho for now anyways...Takes me a while after to go to sleep afterwards tho only think i dislike about it! As long as you do it all that matters
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Yeah I definitely agree with everyone about it not being bad, or at least not the physical exercise part. I'd be careful with it though, test it out a bit before you commit to it, because it can seriously disrupt sleep patterns for some people.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    I often work out on my lunch breaks at work, so I frequently work out at midnight or later (I work til 2 am). Hasn't stopped me yet!
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    I used to exercise at night but i found that i was still full of energy when i should have been sleeping and it was difficult getting to sleep. Then again if you work hard maybe you end up very tired anyway haha
This discussion has been closed.