Americans - what is oatmeal?

Options
is it the same as porridge?

Replies

• 008Lizzy
    008Lizzy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is a finer ground version of porridge oats. :)
  • jedday
    jedday Posts: 119
    Options
    what is porridge?
  • bahrainbel
    Options
    I had some when I was in the States last summer, it was a bit like Ready Brek, it was nice. Biscuits and gravy, however, not so nice! Why would you want to eat that?! :wink:
  • jedday
    Options
    I had some when I was in the States last summer, it was a bit like Ready Brek, it was nice. Biscuits and gravy, however, not so nice! Why would you want to eat that?! :wink:

Where were you when you had the biscuits and gravy? Like what State?
  • bahrainbel
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porridge

It's amazing with golden syrup (not so great for the diet).
  • bahrainbel
    Options

I was in Virginia (Dulles), just outside DC.
  • kOiFiSh_KiMmY
    Options
    LOL! We (southern folks in US) LOOOOVE bisquits and gravy....Also grits!!!

Mmm....Im hungry now, lol!!
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i guess bahrainbel beat this american to it..but what IS porridge? i always kind of thought it was oatmeal but I don't really know why...
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is porridge, porridge is oatmeal!
  • peteloafer
    peteloafer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    oarmeal is the raw ingredient that is used to make porridge as well as other stuff like oatcakes and flapjack.

Oatmeal can be coarse or more finely ground as is usual in porridge.

Ready Brek is just a proprietary name for a type of porridge which is easy to prepare.

BTW oatmeal is a great thing to have in your diet.
  • jedday
    Options

If you want them to taste good you have to eat it in the deep south a place the locals only know. Otherwise it can be really bad.
  • snockers3112
    snockers3112 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have porridge every morning - but what I REALLY want to know is - What are Grits???
  • bahrainbel
    Options

If you want them to taste good you have to eat it in the deep south a place the locals only know. Otherwise it can be really bad.

I've never been to the Deep South, I shall put it on my list of places to go.......I quite like the accents too.
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Grits are coarsely ground hominy, which is corn without the hull and soaked so they bloat up....not a fan personally of grits...love hominy but only cooked in bacon grease, which would be a NO for my diet! Not much flavor in either one.
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    biscuits and gravy are the best!!! as long as you get them somewhere good!
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    An American friend once told me that biscuits were similar to English scones. Is that correct?
    Scones and gravy just sounds so wrong! Scones should be filled with fresh cream and jam!
  • bahrainbel
    Options
    An American friend once told me that biscuits were similar to English scones. Is that correct?
    Scones and gravy just sounds so wrong! Scones should be filled with fresh cream and jam!

They actually are a bit, more like a muffin (English muffin, not American).
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options

i think you just had some crappy bisquits and gravy come to texas we have fresh buttermilk fluffy bisquits and smother in country style gravy that has been made from the scratch outa sausage grease whats not to love man i went to europe and germany is the only place that had good food meat potatos beer...heaven
  • lhague
    lhague Posts: 258
    Options
    Oatmeal is a finer ground version of porridge oats. :)

No porridge is a finer ground version of oats
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm American and living in the UK and I can tell you that oatmeal and porridge are the same. I eat it every day, and Tesco Porridge Oats taste the same and have the same texture of Quaker Rolled oats. Also, English scones are the same as American Biscuits, so biscuits and gravy is not, like, digestives topped with bisto for breakfast, as appetising as that sounds. It's more like a savoury scone split in half and topped with a white sausage gravy. If you get it in the south, or even Southern Ohio, it is actually really good. I don't want to talk about it, because it will make me cry. :laugh: Also, grits are disgusting! I don't understand how people eat them. The texture is really weird and the taste is even worse.